Blade/Tenergy Advice Needed

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Hi Guys,

First post so here goes. I am currently using a Timo Boll W5 blade with a 1.9mm T05 FX on my F/H and a 1.7mm T64 FX on my B/H. My question is do you think I would benefit from going to the standard T05 on the F/H and T80 on the B/H (both 1.9mm).

My F/H is a loop machine and my B/H I just use for mainly pushing, blocking & smashing. I find at the moment that heavy spin is really hard to return tight and hit through if medium height. So I think my setup is a little on the soft side but would using non FX rubbers make the setup to hard or uncontrollable for an intermediate player?

Would appreciate any advise!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Yes, your setup is defiantly on the soft side.
In Chinese coaching philosophy, harder sponge the better - this will allow the player to learn to control the ball more by forcing dwell time into the sponge - than oppose to a soft sponge that does it all for you. Same token, harder sponge can provide more spin.

I also think 1.7mm is too thin for Tensor rubbers - where sponge technology is really important.
I think your "upgrade" to 1.9mm will be more idea for a balance of control vs spin/speed

Reactions: Rajah* and Dan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Thanks for the advice Tony. I am having the best season I have had in a long time with this setup (having previously used even softer setups) so do not want to pay £100 to take a step backwards. BUT against certain players and certain types of shots I still struggle which is really annoying. There is nothing worse than refusing a smash because the ball is loaded, but at the same time I must be able to loop with my F/H as it wins me so many points!!

Does anyone else agree that the non FX would work well with this blade?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Butterfly's website says that T64 FX comes in 1.9 or 2.1. Are you sure you mean that you are using T64 FX in 1.7? If yes, it might be fake. Tenergy with a 1.7 sponge would defeat the purpose of the rubber.

It sounds like you should not be using Tenergy on backhand anyway based on what you do with your backhand. If you push, drive and smack but don't usually loop, you should try a different rubber.

You could try something like Xiom Vega Europe or Elite. But it also sounds like you might do better with short pips on your backhand which would enable you to smash much more effectively. There is really not much point using Tenergy on your backhand if you don't do what it is intended for and there are other rubbers that are much better for how you do use your backhand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
I got mine from teessports. They are the main supplier of Butterfly in the UK I think. My main concern is can my blade take the standard Tenergys In 1.9 without having to be Timo Boll to rally and loop with them especially with my badass F/H :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well, regular Tenergy 05 should be fine on that blade and 1.9 in 05 or 05 FX should also be fine. The question would be, what makes you want to change? Is there a reason? Are you unhappy with your current setup? In what ways? If you like your current setup, there is no need to change. But, you may still want to which is fine. If you switched to 05 you would get used to it.

For your BH it does sound like you might do well to hit with a pro and have him watch you play a match or two to see if what you are using is good for you or if there may be something else better. Or: what you would need to work on to start developing a backhand loop. A competent pro seeing what you are doing in person who knows what they are talking about is better than online advice. Of course, that is not always possible. So....

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
I kinda agree with Carl and Tony on this, you current setup might be on the soft side.. One of my players that I coach uses the same blade as you, but with T80 on both sides. T80 works great for forehand everything :p

But the type of game you describe for your backhand, I would recommend short pips or some soft feel rubber that really allows you to do anything from smacking to looping to pushing. Rasant Powersponge or Tenergy 05-FX 2.1 mm would be great. But it all depends on what you prefer. If you can get some short pips with good spin you should try it, if you won't buy to try, you can try borrowing from a friend :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Thanks for all the replies really appreciated. At the moment I get really good spin on my shots (I'm great against choppers) but even though I understand spin fairly well I really struggle to return heavy spin. I pull out of smashes too because I can see the fizz on the ball and know it will bite hard so I play the safe option to chop down on it. My doubles partner kills me for it :)

I find with this setup I play my best ping pong far back from the table as any spin has faded enough for me to topspin it back from either flank at will. I would rather come out on top closer to the net and am guessing harder rubbers will be less vulnerable to spin when there is less pace on the ball?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Hey guys I went ahead and slapped on a T05 and T80 both 1.9 and you were right it feels much more balanced. Will need to adjust my F/H loop technique slightly but driving the ball is now a lot more consistent, especially on my B/H. Thanks for your help!