DONIC BURN OFF- + DONIC Acuda S2 + DONIC Coppa X2 Platin Soft

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Firstly, I want to thank DONIC for giving me another chance to work with them again. Thank DONIC for believing me that I can do a even better review than the previous review. For you info, I review the DONIC Orchartov Carbospeed blade and the DONIC Bluefire M2 rubber. This time, I have a completely new set of products from DONIC to review on. There are the DONIC Burn OFF- Blade and also the DONIC Acuda S2(2.0mm) and also DONIC Coppa X2 Platin Soft(MAX) as part of my review as well. I will be putting the DONIC Acuda S2 on the forehand while the DONIC Coppa X2 Platin Soft as the backhand.
On the first look, all 3 product look very nice and cool! The Burn OFF- Blade is well-build, with its dark brown color and also the golden paint on it. It seems to be rough but smooth. The two rubber with FD3(Formula Donic 3) is very nice as well, with Acuda S2 look a bit tacky while Coppa X2 Platin Soft look more on the less tacky. The sponge for both seem soft but the Acuda S2 will be the softer one it seems.
From the other reviewers on the web, I have studied a bit on all 3 products. The DONIC Burn OFF- has some comments such as "Stiff but good control; Goes well with soft mid rubbers. ",Acuda S2: "Good speed, spin and control, Low throw angle". Lastly the Coppa X2 Platin Soft: "Similar to Acuda S2, Mid Throw angle".
Now, I will tell everyone what I will be testing on the blade and rubber, their combination and their pros and cons,etc.
The most focus point on the Blade will be the combination with the rubbers, hardness, stiffness, and the weight. For the Acuda S2, which will be on my forehand, will be trajectory, spin, sponge hardness and throw angle. For the Coppa X2 Platin Soft, which will be on my backhand, will be trajectory, speed, sponge hardness and throw angle. For both rubber, the combination with the blade will also be count in as part of the test.
Okay, let me introduce my playing style: I am a right-hand Penholder, with more of fast attacking near table and looping style. I rarely use the reverse backhand, but I am increasing the using of it. My serves are usually side spin with combination of backspin, abit like Wang Hao’s serve, and it usually goes to the middle/far table. As for service return, as a penholder, it is normally a push or flick. Forehand wise, I attack the wings of the table. I will use fast attack when near table while looping more when I get further away from the table.
From DONIC, The Burn OFF- Blade have the "Thermic Burned Technology". The thermic treatment of the veneers makes for extremely high stability comparable to features of high-quality tropical woods. The blades are exposed to a temperature of 200 degrees centigrade for twenty four hours. This process hardens the wood and removes any humidity. The resulting playing characteristics of these blades are therefore unique. More suited to combine with softer rubber to produce higher spin. This beautifully produced high class blade in DONIC's new series has a superb sweet spot.
The weight of the blade is quite okay for me. The craftsmanship is excellent and the texture feels great. The blade is stiff, but not as stiff as Burn Off Blade. It is . For me, this blade feels not only great when close to table but also mid table as well, which suit my style of playing, so it’s fine. The opponent cannot really return the ball well. As I get further away from the table, I do not feel like I need to exert more force. But it seems that it's faster and the ball contact has lesser time and bit lesser spin, but the speed is extremely fast but controllable. As I play fast attack and looping, with fast hits and topspin, this blade will not be better than the Burn OFF as it is more controllable and also has the around the same speed. This blade provide a great overall play for all kind of style. This blade suit all kind of rubbers, but I think that mid-hard sponge rubber suit the blade the best.
For the forehand rubber, which I put the DONIC Acuda S2, I can say that this rubber will be much better if you think that DONIC Bluefire M2 is good. Although DONIC Acuda S2 is not somewhat like have more technology than the DONIC Bluefire M2, but I can say it is better and also suit me better. This rubber not only have the control but also the power spin. Why do I say this rubber suit my forehand? Cause I use the flat hits when nearer to table, but as I step back, I’ll start to use topspin as it is harder to flat hit but sometimes if it is too fast, i will still use flat hits. This rubber ensure that the ball will land onto the opponent table with great spin. This rubber can give u very short balls that is near the net. But if you are a looper or like me a Near table fast-attack player, this rubber will be the best for you. No matter if it is you put it on the forehand or the backhand, this rubber is a great combination of all both qualities of spin and most importantly control. I would not say it has the fastest and spinniest spin, but I would say that the amount of control is definitely excellent, plus the addition of good spin, it is more than sufficient to kill of your opponent with either fast shot or topspin. Plus the weight is somewhere in the middle, comfortable for both Forehand and Backhand. The throw angle wise is also somewhere in the middle, you will find that you will play comfortably with this rubber. I recommend this rubber to all players who want to have excellent control with also tremedous extreme spin.
For the backhand rubber, i put on the DONIC Coppa X2. I like this rubber a lot! It is somewhat the same as DONIC Bluefire M2, but i think DONIC Coppa X2 has that little more of control, and lower tradjectory. This rubber is really fast, but not that kind of lighting fast like DONIC Acuda S1 Turbo, but still this is far more faster than any convient rubbers out in the market with also good decnet amount of spin. Why do I say this rubber suit my backhand? Cause I use the traditional Backhand to push when near table, but as I step back, I’ll start to use the reverse backhand. As the reverse backhand will make the ball spin more than traditional backhand block, this rubber is just what i need as the spin i can use my wrist to have more spin, but the rubber can help me have a faster ball. The weight is quite light, definitely comfortable for both Backhand. The throw angle wise is quite low but still you will find that you will play comfortably with this rubber.
As i do not have much time recently, so i only have a little time in getting used to the blade and rubber.
I play a friendly match with my friends, with 7 sets each( 3 friends in total) and won 2 matches, and lost 1 of them. For the match I won, the score is as such:
Vs Player 1: 4-2
( 11:6 , 8:11 , 12:10 , 11: 7, 7:11, 11:9)
Vs Player 2: 4-3
(11:5 , 11:7, 6:11 , 11:5 , 9:11, 8:11 , 11:9)
While the game that I lost:
Vs Player 3: 1-4
(5:11, 7:11, 9:11, 11:7, 10:12)
Comments from my friends are:
"Forehand drive can be slow and spinny or fast and less spin. It's quite tricky."
"Reverse backhand is your weakness still"
"Mid table looping is stressful"
My comments:
The Acuda S2 suits perfectly my forehand, but the Coppa X2 is not really. As Coppa X2 has a lower throw angle, my reverse backhand quite really strain on my wrist as i need to really bend my wrist in fully, if not the ball get quite difficult to get over the net.
-DONIC BURN OFF-
Speed
Control
Stiffness
Hardness
Consistency
2014-02-03 20.16.36.jpg2014-02-03 20.16.27.jpg2014-02-03 20.14.28.jpg2014-02-03 20.13.41.jpg2014-02-03 20.13.20.jpg-DONIC Acuda S2
Speed
Spin
Control
Tackiness
Throw Angle
Weight
Sponge Hardness
Gears
Durability
Consistency
-DONIC Coppa X2
Speed