HD Videos of me (JyeChen) at a USATT Tournament

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
I participated in a USATT Tournament in Austin, TX recently. Below are some videos of a few of my matches.

Erm, for those who care my set-up is (also listed in my signature):

BTY Viscaria
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo Provincial
BH: Palio Macro Pro

Morning matches:

I got really distracted in this match after arguing about an edge-ball in game 3. I was sure it hit, and he gave me the point, but I felt unsure after arguing and lost my focus.

Afternoon matches:

Feedback/Comments always welcome!!

I made another post with the Open SF, QF, and Finals of this tournament here:
http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?762-Austin-TT-Winter-Open-2011

Also, feel free to check out my other videos: :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/shihjye?feature=mhsn#p/u

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Your backhand definitely needs improving and your loop on the ball with backspin seems to be letting you down. Also read the service carefully, as you always pop it up when it's a short top/side spin serve.

Meh, I usually don't have so much trouble with down spin. :p If you took notice of this in the match with the little kid, I did take a long time to realize he was adding quite a bit of down spin when he pushed from his backhand. He kind of chops at the ball a little and keeps it a lot shorter and spinnier. I was really slow to adapt to this. > .>

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
wow, that was pretty unfair from that guy to be honest. The ball almost jumped like 30 cm away from the table after it hit the edge, how could he say it didnt hit.

I enjoyed watching the vid, just alot of fast errors from both players when receiving the serve, but like YosuaYosan said, train your backhand to be as good as your forehand and you got a nice attack from both sides.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
wow, that was pretty unfair from that guy to be honest. The ball almost jumped like 30 cm away from the table after it hit the edge, how could he say it didnt hit.

I enjoyed watching the vid, just alot of fast errors from both players when receiving the serve, but like YosuaYosan said, train your backhand to be as good as your forehand and you got a nice attack from both sides.

Meh, it really was a shame. My friend/coach sitting by the side totally missed it too. Would've saved me the distraction if they'd just seen it. XP

@YosuaYosan and kaikaz: Yeah, I've been working pretty hard on my backhand. I'm pretty sure I've got nothing to show for it in these matches cause it just hasn't stuck yet. Unfortunately, I think I may have been working too much on it. I made a pretty good break through, realizing I should take the ball a bit later with a slightly different grip/angle. However, I've pretty severely injured my wrist from overuse, and now I can't really practice for more than like 10 minutes before the pain comes back. > .> My doctor uncle thinks I should re-do my backhand all together, but I've always used a lot of wrist in my backhand. =__=

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Thanks Yosua, very handy video. I feel like it's the things I was kind of grasping slowly through hard a rigorous painful practice summarized into nice little neat facts. :)

Maybe relaxing my grip a little will help lessen the strain on my wrist, but that wrist motion still looks dangerous to my current condition. Looking forward to my next practice session now. :p