PDA

View Full Version : Fan Zhendong considering a rubber change!

Anders
03-31-2014, 08:07 AM
Recently I read an interview with Fan Zhendong on the STIGA home page, and one of the questions was:

Which rubbers and which blade do you use and how you’re your equipment support your game?

His answer was this:

-I use STIGA Infinity VPS and currently I’m testing the new STIGA Airoc rubbers. The first feeling is great and I seriously consider playing with this STIGA rubber in the future.

So, what do you guys think? Is this a serious honest answer from Fan Zhendong himself, or is this just for the cause of promoting STIGA?

ToyKnee
03-31-2014, 08:08 AM
Probably a promotional, unless the rubbers are actually something of a miracle.

Alborz
03-31-2014, 08:21 AM
He said he is "testing" them, Not "using". Also it can be just a promotion.

tuckersonthemove
03-31-2014, 08:36 AM
This is very much business lingo, methinks. Absolutely no commitment to anything here. Why would he not use the equipment all his peers were using?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

tuckersonthemove
03-31-2014, 08:38 AM
Of course, if the Stiga stuff is better than the alternatives, then other players would shift, too.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

bachikho
03-31-2014, 08:44 AM
all top CNT players use H3/TG3-tenergy, so this is just a promotion

Anders
03-31-2014, 09:00 AM
Please keep in mind that there is a ball change coming.. And since the CNT are sponsored by DHS, they are more likely to get to know the new balls first, and maybe that is why they would test new rubbers now? STIGA has also said that this new Airoc rubbers are made for the new ball.

Tony's Table Tennis
03-31-2014, 10:22 AM
Promotional

Still remember huge marketing about Xu Xin using Stiga, and the next week at training, photos of him using Yasaka blade emerge (lololololol)

Anders
03-31-2014, 11:36 AM
Promotional

Still remember huge marketing about Xu Xin using Stiga, and the next week at training, photos of him using Yasaka blade emerge (lololololol)

Yes, but that is not the case here.. It's an interview with Fan Zhendong, not only an advertisement :p If he says he is testing it, I believe him, but if he choses to play them on a regular basis or not, we can't know until we get some footage of his racket in a tournament..

At least he is honest, he says he is testing them and considering to use them.. But then again it only means that if he finds them not good enough, he won't :p

Tony's Table Tennis
03-31-2014, 11:53 AM
Yes, but that is not the case here.. It's an interview with Fan Zhendong, not only an advertisement :p If he says he is testing it, I believe him, but if he choses to play them on a regular basis or not, we can't know until we get some footage of his racket in a tournament..

At least he is honest, he says he is testing them and considering to use them.. But then again it only means that if he finds them not good enough, he won't :p

These guys have PR gurus who teach them what to say and what not to say.
Its all business at the end of the day - especially for contracted players.

Alborz
03-31-2014, 12:23 PM
Please keep in mind that there is a ball change coming.. And since the CNT are sponsored by DHS, they are more likely to get to know the new balls first, and maybe that is why they would test new rubbers now? STIGA has also said that this new Airoc rubbers are made for the new ball.
Some facts:
1) All of CNT players are using tacky hard rubbers on forehand and a soft none-tacky (usually Tenergy) on backhand.
2) New balls are not totally different. They are just a little different from current balls.
3) Fan Zhendong said he is "testing" those rubbers, Not "using".

So probably they will not totally change their equipment. And surely they will still use a hard tacky rubber on forehand. So if FZD wants to use Airoc rubber he will probably use it on backhand.
Also any player can say i'm testing new rubbers and test them. But it doesn't mean he will switch his rubbers.

Amayzde
03-31-2014, 03:58 PM
well, i think these are the new blue sponged stiga rubbers we saw earlier on the forum so if its true we will see fan zhendong using a blue sponged rubber on the backhand.

Anders
04-01-2014, 07:36 AM
Some facts:
1) All of CNT players are using tacky hard rubbers on forehand and a soft none-tacky (usually Tenergy) on backhand.
2) New balls are not totally different. They are just a little different from current balls.
3) Fan Zhendong said he is "testing" those rubbers, Not "using".

So probably they will not totally change their equipment. And surely they will still use a hard tacky rubber on forehand. So if FZD wants to use Airoc rubber he will probably use it on backhand.
Also any player can say i'm testing new rubbers and test them. But it doesn't mean he will switch his rubbers.

Alborz, when did I mention he is using that rubber? I only said testing, and if you have ever read anything I have written in here over the last couple of years, then you should know I know what equipment the CNT players usually use ;)

With that said, the thread was only created to tell people what he stated in an interview, so that you all can discuss wether it is true or not, no need to tell me what the present real facts are.. He said he is testing them, I believe him, but I won't preach he is changing his rubber until I see it myself :p He is considering, and that is what he said.

Alborz
04-01-2014, 08:00 AM
Alborz, when did I mention he is using that rubber? I only said testing, and if you have ever read anything I have written in here over the last couple of years, then you should know I know what equipment the CNT players usually use ;)

With that said, the thread was only created to tell people what he stated in an interview, so that you all can discuss wether it is true or not, no need to tell me what the present real facts are.. He said he is testing them, I believe him, but I won't preach he is changing his rubber until I see it myself :p He is considering, and that is what he said.
I didn't mean you said he is using it. I just said some facts to make the story clear :)

Sophannarong
05-03-2014, 01:42 PM
???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mahomedy13
05-03-2014, 02:58 PM
maybe hell try it on backhand.You never know...

UpSideDownCarl
05-04-2014, 02:02 AM
Look, doesn't Stiga say that Xu Xin uses Calibra? Did he ever? I am sure they say Fan uses Calibra too, right? As far as Stiga is concerned, these guys are supposed to be using Stiga rubbers but they do not.

Tony's Table Tennis
05-04-2014, 09:38 AM
Look, doesn't Stiga say that Xu Xin uses Calibra? Did he ever? I am sure they say Fan uses Calibra too, right? As far as Stiga is concerned, these guys are supposed to be using Stiga rubbers but they do not.

Well in Tokyo FZD is using Tenergy :)

Don't let these "marketing" trick you guys

UpSideDownCarl
05-04-2014, 10:12 AM
Well in Tokyo FZD is using Tenergy :)

Don't let these "marketing" trick you guys

Exactly. Tenergy and probably Hurricane 3, right!

Alborz
05-04-2014, 10:57 AM
You can never be sure about pro's rackets unless you personally take their bats and look at them.

UpSideDownCarl
05-04-2014, 11:03 AM
You can never be sure about pro's rackets unless you personally take their bats and look at them.

That is true but a pro who is sponsored by Stiga and who Stiga expects to be using their rubbers isn't going to be using Stiga rubbers that say Butterfly and DHS instead of Stiga on them. So, you can bet he is not using Stiga rubbers whatever he is using.

Tony's Table Tennis
05-04-2014, 11:05 AM

I'm looking at the photo - not very clear, but I can see Hurricane and Tenergy, can't see both numbers.
I've message Hu Heming to double check
HHM and FZD are friends and FZD gave him a set of his used rubbers earlier today

Not sure how closer to you want to get
Btw, the only time I see these Stiga players using Stiga everything is during the photo shoots - including shoes, clothing etc lol

Tony's Table Tennis
05-04-2014, 01:16 PM
Confirmed- FZD uses H3 and T05

exort04
05-04-2014, 02:06 PM
maybe .... but he also does not use the stiga infinity vps xd

Tony's Table Tennis
05-04-2014, 02:09 PM
maybe .... but he also does not use the stiga infinity vps xd

What do you mean maybe?
You have doubt on the rubbers that was taking off FZD's blade?

exort04
05-04-2014, 02:17 PM
yes because he say they use a type of equipment and do not use that is not interest. marketing ok ...

Tony's Table Tennis
05-04-2014, 02:24 PM
yes because he say they use a type of equipment and do not use that is not interest. marketing ok ...

Hm,, not sure what you are trying to say.

Any ways, Hu Heming got FZD rubbers.
I saw the photo, and confirmed with Heming, it is indeed H3 + T05

Any one who doeesn't want to believe, then not my problem

mahomedy13
05-04-2014, 02:27 PM
Hm,, not sure what you are trying to say.

Any ways, Hu Heming got FZD rubbers.
I saw the photo, and confirmed with Heming, it is indeed H3 + T05

Any one who doeesn't want to believe, then not my problem

can you post the photos for us,please?

Tony's Table Tennis
05-04-2014, 02:29 PM
can you post the photos for us,please?

Nope, not going to :)

Tony's Table Tennis
05-04-2014, 02:30 PM
However, one thing I noticed is at the back of the T05, there was a butterfly stamp and Fan's name is on top of the butterfly logo.

I think we should do 2 things

1) ask Stiga what FZD is using
2) ask Butterfly what FZD is using

hehehe

mahomedy13
05-04-2014, 02:34 PM
so its now confirmed-Fan ZD uses a Butterfly Tenergy that is custom made

mahomedy13
05-04-2014, 07:47 PM
so its now confirmed-Fan ZD uses a Butterfly Tenergy that is custom made

and he uses H3 on forehand.

mahomedy13
05-04-2014, 07:50 PM
But then again,if the tenergy is custom made for him,it might not be a T05,it could be anything he wanted from butterfly that they could have made for him and stamped it T05 for advertising purposes:p

Ma long the best
05-04-2014, 07:54 PM
It doesn't matter the order coach puts his players,I hope Ma Long can play his best and win his match.

mahomedy13
05-04-2014, 08:04 PM
It doesn't matter the order coach puts his players,I hope Ma Long can play his best and win his match.

I think you answered in the wrong thread:p

This should have been in the World Team Table Tennis Championships 2014 thread

Tony's Table Tennis
05-05-2014, 07:14 AM
I think you answered in the wrong thread:p

This should have been in the World Team Table Tennis Championships 2014 thread

lol
The Ma Long fan club is hijacking a thread about Fan Zhendong hehe

juliotakeuchi
05-05-2014, 01:52 PM
Almost the entire selection of china ( men and women ) use the rubber dhs hurricane 3 blue sponge national team for FH in some videos may notice that some use Tenergy for BH and others do not ( most of all the women's team ) . With marketing to companies interested most of all is the use of wood, it is clear that everyone is loyal to your company , I have never seen xu xin playing with other wood than Stiga , you may say this player uses this wood , in the case of Zhang Jike say Butterfly Zhang Jike uses the thing that is clear is that fala using a Viscaria , Ma Long uses a DHS as Wang Hao, in the case of Fan and Zhendon XU Xin is using a Stiga , in the case of rubbers there is where the detail will have to see that such is the quality of these AIROC , because I think that 's very buienas gums not only DHS , or Tenergy TGS I have tested the bluefire calibrates tour and I'm seriously considering staying with and I calibrated using tenergy 64 years . at some point the players have to be faithful to their contracts.

Tony's Table Tennis
05-05-2014, 02:21 PM
FH being DHS is nothing new,
This is for Butterfly, Stiga and even Yasaka players (Ma Lin).

XX used Yasaka blades when he was sponsored by Stiga, but other than that, these players tend to use sponsors blade - or rebadge ones.
Ma Long, WH is all sponsored by DHS for example.

BH rubber has always been the question for Stiga players.
I can't remember what Guo Yue used on the BH, I think it wasn't stiga too, it was DHS I recall, but on a Stiga blade.

Butterfly players tend to use Butterfly rubbers on BH (KLH, ZYN etc)

I think KLH may be the only player to use blade + fh rubber + bh rubber under 1 company

Vardant
05-05-2014, 04:23 PM
He wouldn't be able to use the Airoc rubbers anyway, since they are not ITTF approved. You'll have to wait and see, if he was impressed with them enough to switch.

krro
05-05-2014, 11:14 PM
Can the pro's really use custom made rubbers and blades? Don't they need to be ITTF approved? Is it really legal to change the handle for example?

JustAlt
05-06-2014, 06:41 AM
Can the pro's really use custom made rubbers and blades? Don't they need to be ITTF approved? Is it really legal to change the handle for example?

Blades aren't ittf approved and only the rubber's topsheet needs to be approved. So you can use any sponge you want if the total thickness of the rubber stays under 4mm.

tenergy_0425
05-06-2014, 10:46 AM
Hey man dont thinkl that is a real consider of Fan, He would rather use Tenergy

Tony's Table Tennis
05-06-2014, 12:45 PM

Blade doesn't have aprpoval, just requirements. So as long as the requirement are made -anything is fine.

Rubbers only have topsheet approval, and total thickness (4mm) rule.
Players can use any sponge under this topsheet.

Its common for blades to have a different handle, but not the case with rubbers as you can't have a say T05 rubber but labeled another brand - that will be illegal.

krro
05-06-2014, 01:28 PM
Blades aren't ittf approved and only the rubber's topsheet needs to be approved. So you can use any sponge you want if the total thickness of the rubber stays under 4mm.

Blade doesn't have aprpoval, just requirements. So as long as the requirement are made -anything is fine.

Rubbers only have topsheet approval, and total thickness (4mm) rule.
Players can use any sponge under this topsheet.

Its common for blades to have a different handle, but not the case with rubbers as you can't have a say T05 rubber but labeled another brand - that will be illegal.

Thanks for the information! So you can't really know what a player plays with even if you see the name on the sheet as they can have cutom made sponge from the manufacturer? Question is then if that's common among the best players?

Tony's Table Tennis
05-06-2014, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the information! So you can't really know what a player plays with even if you see the name on the sheet as they can have cutom made sponge from the manufacturer? Question is then if that's common among the best players?

Your welcome.

Well, i'm not sure if all the best players, but its common in CNT

The DHS rubbers from the factory will have the players name printed on the sponge (so they don't mix it up).
It is already common (for the public) to buy DHS rubbers with different sponge versions (including the blue one and different hardness).
Normally the top sheet is the same, but just from the centre of the huge sheet, where maybe the outer sheets which can be more inconsistent, ends up as commericial versions

With Butterfly, I think the sponge is the same. But the players don't receive them in commerical packaging.
Also getting the centre piece.

But players like Timo stated he always gets the heaviest T05 available.