PDA

View Full Version : New Voice of ITTF final

MDanielCRO
04-11-2014, 03:46 PM
ITTF has just posted a final poll for new commentator that will work for them.

Finalist are:
1.Adam Bobrow (The funny dancing guy, he is really crazy) to me he did a very good job there, he was not boring with stupid informations, no unnecessarily shouts, commenting every point in technical and tactical details. Nice job!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJyfEZju3eM

2.Barbara Wei (I don't know a lot about her) I don't want to comment anything about her presentation, I just don't like woman comentators in sports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTY6bCcQ_0c

3.David Wetherril (Famouse paralympic player who did one of the best shots ever) The sound quality of his presentation is terrible, that's probably the main reason why I don't like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRX3-eJERjE

It's all on us, we have to choose. My vote goes to the Adam Bobrow. You can vote here:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KTSRDVB

mahomedy13
04-11-2014, 07:32 PM
1)My vote goes for Adam Bobrow.He knows what he is saying,confident,allows spectators to make the own judgements,and commentates after the rally with excellent detail and shows an understanding of the game.

2)David Wetherill.He is also a good commentator,but his voice projection is not suited ideally for a commentator(i would say a bit muffled/unclear),but otherwise he is good,confident and knows the sport.

3)Barbara Wei-she is not very confident IMO,her voice is not projected in a flowing style,but rather bit by bit.

Butt Stallion
04-11-2014, 10:19 PM
Ah I dont like Adam Bobrow. He doesnt has to explain me whats going on, i can see that probably better than him. Furthermore he talks just toooo much random bullshit… Nobody of them is good in my opinion. If one of them are going to win i gotta watch table tennis ittf world tour without any sound :(

beeray1
04-11-2014, 11:02 PM
Adam Bobrow no doubt. I'm sorry Butt Stallion, but if you fancy yourself an expert it doesn't mean that we should just have a commentator that doesn't know what's going on. Adam Bobrow is knowledgeable and has personality to go along with it. He's confident on top of it. The random bits can be funny, but you don't watch TT for the commentators. They are there to assist, not to be the focus. I'd take him for sure over most any of the commentators that the ITTF has used in the past, that just repeat the same phrases over and over. Other that Richard Prause, no thanks to most anyone else.

asherd
04-12-2014, 01:27 AM
Adam Bobrow. He is fun and he knows what's going on. Sometimes he speaks too much but it can help some beginners, also if there's an bit you didn't understand perfectly(which happens a lot in tt) then it's great. Barbara Wei's voice is just so annoying. I can't stand it. I listened to it for a minute and couldn't stand it anymore. David is OK but Adam Bobrow is better.

Steven
04-12-2014, 01:58 AM
This isn't live commentary anymore. I could be mistaken but to me it sounds like Adam watched the match and wrote down notes, and watched it again while reading it out loud after every point. Also I think that the awful sound quality has a really bad influence on David's chances.

Iczy
04-12-2014, 02:12 AM
Adam Bobrow.

luqketti
04-12-2014, 07:49 AM
adam all the way

MDanielCRO
04-12-2014, 10:02 AM
This isn't live commentary anymore. I could be mistaken but to me it sounds like Adam watched the match and wrote down notes, and watched it again while reading it out loud after every point. Also I think that the awful sound quality has a really bad influence on David's chances.

I don't beliave he would do that. Why would he try so hard to get a job if he isn't able to do it right way?

wetherill89
04-12-2014, 01:31 PM
Hi guys, its Wetherill here!

I don't want to just come on and beg for your votes because I've been meaning to write a little message for a while thanking everyone at TableTennisDaily for all your support over the last few years, especially after that shot I played in London. I'm massively honoured to have been selected for this as I love table tennis as much as you do, and pleasantly surprised too as I'm fully aware the quality of my recording isn't the best! I submitted it off the cuff knackered at 4am on Tuesday from my phone (which is rubbish) so many apologies!

I've done some commentary before for the English National Championships and I really enjoyed it; I actually think with the technical input that me and Adam could make a great team. I don't think this is the best I've ever done by any stretch of the imagination but, having said that, table tennis is my life and I would be delighted for the opportunity to spread further my passion and love for our beautiful sport.

As ever, constructive comments are most welcome!

David

MDanielCRO
04-12-2014, 04:37 PM
Hi guys, its Wetherill here!

I don't want to just come on and beg for your votes because I've been meaning to write a little message for a while thanking everyone at TableTennisDaily for all your support over the last few years, especially after that shot I played in London. I'm massively honoured to have been selected for this as I love table tennis as much as you do, and pleasantly surprised too as I'm fully aware the quality of my recording isn't the best! I submitted it off the cuff knackered at 4am on Tuesday from my phone (which is rubbish) so many apologies!

I've done some commentary before for the English National Championships and I really enjoyed it; I actually think with the technical input that me and Adam could make a great team. I don't think this is the best I've ever done by any stretch of the imagination but, having said that, table tennis is my life and I would be delighted for the opportunity to spread further my passion and love for our beautiful sport.

As ever, constructive comments are most welcome!

David

Hello David!

Nice to have you here. I wonder if ITTF could accept both, you and Adam? Do you have any info about it? It would be great!

kera7
04-12-2014, 05:13 PM
My vote goes to Adam Bobrow. He is much better then David and Barbara.

Timo_22
04-12-2014, 06:02 PM
Spent some time with Adam at a US Nationals Championships in Las Vegas. He did some broadcasting there too. Very personable, funny and swings a mean racket as well. :cool: Best wishes.

bzing
04-12-2014, 07:14 PM
I would prefer David, I'm sure he can do better, his flow is just more like a calm commentary that is good to listen and not interfering with the focus on the match If Adam Bobrow can change his tone a little and stop using such childish words as "he looks cool" and "bam" then maybe. The content of information that he says is mostly alright. But my gripe with him is the overly adolescent tone and use of words. A lot of it sounded just so weird it wasn't like watching table tennis but a basketball match. I just couldn't stand it when he said - "nice opening, right into the body from the backhand and BAMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!" What is this I thought it was like listening to some kid getting overly excited about a new episode of spiderman or something. It just seems like he didn't know what to say afterwards and just screamed BAMMM!!!! which was really annoying, unprofessional and immature. I just couldn't imagine myself listening to a guy like that. Please just get a normal commentator.

SquareBall
04-12-2014, 08:22 PM
I dont care if David has bad microphone .. That's something fixable and since i like the tone of his voice and doesnt distract me from the joy he is the most suitable.

bzing
04-12-2014, 10:27 PM
I dont care if David has bad microphone .. That's something fixable and since i like the tone of his voice and doesnt distract me from the joy he is the most suitable.

Exactly. I swear if I ever hear that puerile "BAMMM" again from now on I'll only watch table tennis matches without a sound.

mahomedy13
04-13-2014, 12:52 AM
Exactly. I swear if I ever hear that puerile "BAMMM" again from now on I'll only watch table tennis matches without a sound.

why focus on the negatives only and leave out the positives?

Rajah*
04-13-2014, 01:08 AM
Its your choice to turn off the volume.

BAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMM!

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

mahomedy13
04-13-2014, 01:19 AM
Its your choice to turn of the volume.

BAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMM!

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Hahaha:p the speakers bust!

MDanielCRO
04-13-2014, 10:42 AM
Nobody votes for Barbara ? :(

m4ndo
04-13-2014, 11:33 AM
To be honest, I didn't like neither of them too much. Especially with Adam, he just said what everyone can see like we are blind.

So what do I want then? Watch a match with Richard Prause as commentator - he is not only saying "oh, that one had lots of spin" or "ooh, that one was too short for Xu Xin" but he says WHAT the players SHOULD do to win, where their tactical problems are and where they have difficulties with their strokes. That are insides which normal spectators, even if playing on a good level themselves, not necessarily know. But if a ball is too short or a service too high - damn everyone can see that.

So in conclusion, Barbara actually got closest to that even though her comments were far from being as helpful as those from Richard… and it's true, her voice is a little annoying...

mahomedy13
04-13-2014, 01:32 PM
To be honest, I didn't like neither of them too much. Especially with Adam, he just said what everyone can see like we are blind.

So what do I want then? Watch a match with Richard Prause as commentator - he is not only saying "oh, that one had lots of spin" or "ooh, that one was too short for Xu Xin" but he says WHAT the players SHOULD do to win, where their tactical problems are and where they have difficulties with their strokes. That are insides which normal spectators, even if playing on a good level themselves, not necessarily know. But if a ball is too short or a service too high - damn everyone can see that.

So in conclusion, Barbara actually got closest to that even though her comments were far from being as helpful as those from Richard… and it's true, her voice is a little annoying...

Its very easy for spectators to comment on how a person can improve their game.Put the same people(spectators that judge others) in a similar situation and watch how they play.

m4ndo
04-13-2014, 06:03 PM
Its very easy for spectators to comment on how a person can improve their game.Put the same people(spectators that judge others) in a similar situation and watch how they play.

Sorry, but that's a stupid comment - if a commentator for example says that Boll should go over Samsonov's elbow and not on the angles because that's where he is weakest he doesn't imply that he is better thereā€¦

mahomedy13
04-13-2014, 06:31 PM
Sorry, but that's a stupid comment - if a commentator for example says that Boll should go over Samsonov's elbow and not on the angles because that's where he is weakest he doesn't imply that he is better there…

But if the commentator notices the weakness in the player,wouldnt the players know each others weakness?wouldnt they test each other out,watch videos of the person playing to see where their weakness is?

You cant tell the person what to do.In that situation,everything is different.You have to react to spin,speed and your position.So its best not to comment like that saying what the person could have done and should have done.

So my comment does not seem to be stupid by the info Ive just given you and the reasoning behind my words.

AndySmith
04-13-2014, 07:07 PM
David all the way - he had me at "ello".

Dan
04-13-2014, 10:37 PM
Good luck to the contestants. I have heard David Wetherill comment at the English Nationals, he is very knowledgeable but he has an extreme amount of humour. Perhaps this is what TT could do with?

wetherill89
04-14-2014, 01:00 PM
Hello big man!

I know as much as you do! Like I said, I got in from training and was surprised to see my recording had found its way online haha.

I guess we find out today sometime but whoever wins I'm sure will do a great job. You can only get better with experience.

Dave

SpinQuark
04-15-2014, 12:15 AM
I think this shows just how difficult good commentating really is. I guess it is inevitable that a commentator cannot please all the people all the time. It is probably best to have more than one voice to allow bits of dialogue, and to have one lead commentator and one ex pro/coach commentator backing them up.

I think many televised sports in the UK have been greatly helped by having a distinctive 'voice of the sport' commentator - 6 Nations Rugby, Formula 1, Golf, Cricket. It would be really good if Table Tennis could find that voice - a mix of building tension and excitement with the voice, knowing when to keep silent, adding humour, having good knowledge and information, a distinctive timbre, but a tone and style that don't grate or annoy. I think it is very hard to find and takes a long time to develop and hone. I am not really sure that this type of competition is the right selection process.

ZhangJikeTheBest
04-15-2014, 08:16 AM
I like Richard Prause and the other guy who commentatated on the wttc 2011 Boll-Zhang Jike match.

Zhang Jike <3

ZhangJikeTheBest
04-15-2014, 08:17 AM
I like Richard Prause and the other guy who commentatated on the wttc 2011 Boll-Zhang Jike match.

Zhang Jike <3

*commentated

Zhang Jike <3

Steven
04-15-2014, 10:23 PM
Adam Bobrow has won according to ITTF on Facebook.

bzing
04-16-2014, 01:07 AM
And BAM!! the immaturity won.

TTHopeful
04-16-2014, 10:57 AM
Well done Adam

SquareBall
04-17-2014, 12:18 AM
Lets hope he improves fast

harveyaquino
04-17-2014, 01:36 AM
Nice, congrats Adam. :)