Rubber for Rookies

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Hey guys!

I'm planning on buying rubbers for my first blade DHS PG7 but I am somewhat skeptic if I will be able to buy a rubber that is suited for me.
I've been using Donic Coppa JO Silver for FH and BH.

Now, I've been thinking of having either DHS Neo Hurricane 3/Donic Bluefire M2 for FH and Tenergy 80 for BH since I believe these are very good rubbers.
But I wasn't so sure if I will be able to use it with my full ability as of this moment or will it help me improve my game!
You have some thoughts about these guys?

If you can suggest me rubbers other than those mentioned above, I would also appreciate it.

Thank you in advance! :)

This user has no status.
I would say get buterfly sriver on both sides 1,7mm or yasaka mark v on both sides 1,8mm to start with. Woudnt jump straight into hurricane 3 neo, any tenergy or bluefires because it will take too long to adapt because its hard to controll these rubbers. Start with srivers or mark v to learn all the strokes and once you can pull of most of the strokes you can get better equiment but for starters its actually the best to just ask to a coach what to start with.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
what's wrong with the Donic Coppa if i may ask? how long have you been playing? if you have a coach, it would be better if you work with him and try some equipment if there are available...or you can try your other club members' or friends equipment...by the way, how do you describe your playing style?

i first started with friendship 729 SuperFX both FH and BH...now i'm using T64 FH and 729 Super Fx Bh...i'll be trying der_echte's suggestion on cheap equipment, the dawei XP 2008 super power...i'm not a pro and not a beginner either, but still wanted to improve...glad you joined ttdaily, you will learn many things in this forum....:):):)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
I would say get buterfly sriver on both sides 1,7mm or yasaka mark v on both sides 1,8mm to start with. Woudnt jump straight into hurricane 3 neo, any tenergy or bluefires because it will take too long to adapt because its hard to controll these rubbers. Start with srivers or mark v to learn all the strokes and once you can pull of most of the strokes you can get better equiment but for starters its actually the best to just ask to a coach what to start with.

Thanks!
But I wanna ask if speed glue is used on bty sriver to make the rubber at its best?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Blue fire is a bad first rubber. It's uncontrollable. H3 will help you develop good form but will be difficult. T80FX may be better for a developing player. FH h3 and blue fire are two very different rubbers. Can you post a video of you playing?

Unfortunately I can't.
But I play mostly using my FH with loops, drive and blocks. My BH is mainly used for control during rallies and I was on my way of improving it.
Like, I want to be able to loop effectively and consistently since my opponent likes to bring the ball on my BH side because I'm not good on BH.
Also, of course I wanna improve my FH also.

Regarding the Tenergy 80 Fx you stated that is good for developing player, are you referring to using it on both side or FH/BH only? tnx

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
what's wrong with the Donic Coppa if i may ask? how long have you been playing? if you have a coach, it would be better if you work with him and try some equipment if there are available...or you can try your other club members' or friends equipment...by the way, how do you describe your playing style?

i first started with friendship 729 SuperFX both FH and BH...now i'm using T64 FH and 729 Super Fx Bh...i'll be trying der_echte's suggestion on cheap equipment, the dawei XP 2008 super power...i'm not a pro and not a beginner either, but still wanted to improve...glad you joined ttdaily, you will learn many things in this forum....:):):)

Donic coppa easily gets torn on its sides.
I play mostly using my FH and use BH mostly for control (so a rubber that would help develop my BH would be good).

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I think for backhand, just about any control rubber can work to help anyone learn the stroke. Even regular H3 (after softening it up with some oil on the oil) (why they gotta make those sponges so hard??!!)

I got a bat with H3 on the BH side... you guessed it, the blade is the 896. Works great for an emergency bat. FH is a discarded sheet of Sigma I Euro.

I can make anything on BH work, except for rock hard Chinese sponged rubbers, but those work great after they break in and the sponge softens up some, plus I rub off the tack on my short to make it mildly tacky, right where I like it.

One doesn't have to spend a fortune on the BH rubber.

If you have enough money, Aurus or Genius works great, but there are thousands of possible suitable rubbers there.

I like XP 2008 Super Power because rubber is a very inexpensive controllable rubber that does all shots well, not great, but well enough. It is mid-firm, not rock hard, rubber lasts a long time through some abuse, and it costs $8 USD a sheet in USA, maybe cheaper at eacheng.net if you make a big order.

I think those are important factors for a BH rubber to grow up with, but I am just a maverick joker silly monkey. Trust Ur own judgment.

Reactions: SquareBall
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
I think for backhand, just about any control rubber can work to help anyone learn the stroke. Even regular H3 (after softening it up with some oil on the oil) (why they gotta make those sponges so hard??!!)

I got a bat with H3 on the BH side... you guessed it, the blade is the 896. Works great for an emergency bat. FH is a discarded sheet of Sigma I Euro.

I can make anything on BH work, except for rock hard Chinese sponged rubbers, but those work great after they break in and the sponge softens up some, plus I rub off the tack on my short to make it mildly tacky, right where I like it.

One doesn't have to spend a fortune on the BH rubber.

If you have enough money, Aurus or Genius works great, but there are thousands of possible suitable rubbers there.

I like XP 2008 Super Power because rubber is a very inexpensive controllable rubber that does all shots well, not great, but well enough. It is mid-firm, not rock hard, rubber lasts a long time through some abuse, and it costs $8 USD a sheet in USA, maybe cheaper at eacheng.net if you make a big order.

I think those are important factors for a BH rubber to grow up with, but I am just a maverick joker silly monkey. Trust Ur own judgment.

As always Der_Echte, you always impress us in the forum! :D
Thanks!

I'll keep your suggestions for BH in mind

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Unfortunately I can't.
But I play mostly using my FH with loops, drive and blocks. My BH is mainly used for control during rallies and I was on my way of improving it.
Like, I want to be able to loop effectively and consistently since my opponent likes to bring the ball on my BH side because I'm not good on BH.
Also, of course I wanna improve my FH also.

Regarding the Tenergy 80 Fx you stated that is good for developing player, are you referring to using it on both side or FH/BH only? tnx

T80FX would be for backhand. It will be good for controlled blocking. One thing you could do with your backhand which I bet t80 fx would be good for is sidespin blocks. That's a step up from blocking. H3 isn't so good for drives. Another BH suggestion is Sriver.
For FH, Look into H3, and then look at YinHe Apollo I or III (NOT II) softer sponge, slightly cheaper, probably the III is better for blocks and drives and speed, and the I will have more arc and will be better farther away from the table.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
T80FX would be for backhand. It will be good for controlled blocking. One thing you could do with your backhand which I bet t80 fx would be good for is sidespin blocks. That's a step up from blocking. H3 isn't so good for drives. Another BH suggestion is Sriver.
For FH, Look into H3, and then look at YinHe Apollo I or III (NOT II) softer sponge, slightly cheaper, probably the III is better for blocks and drives and speed, and the I will have more arc and will be better farther away from the table.

Dont underestimate the T80FX!It is not only a good rubber,but others who have used T05 have stated that bcos T80FX has a softer sponge and more dwell time,it produces more spin.It is also less sensitive to opponents spin than T05 and has a lower throw angle than it. It also has a lot of control.

Therefore i would say it is ideal for fh and bh

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Dont underestimate the T80FX!It is not only a good rubber,but others who have used T05 have stated that bcos T80FX has a softer sponge and more dwell time,it produces more spin.It is also less sensitive to opponents spin than T05 and has a lower throw angle than it. It also has a lot of control.

Therefore i would say it is ideal for fh and bh

First of all, I am suggesting this rubber for a specific person. Second of all, it is ideal for almost every backhand, but only European loops. I have a Chinese loop.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews

I know this is weird and would take a long time to adjust to, but consider medium or long pips if you start blocking with spin on your BH.

Reactions: Amamdey
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 34 reviews
Anything with good control and spin and not an overwhelming amount of pace. Rakza 7 and Rakza 7 soft are very spin oriented rubbers with great control. Also As mentioned a few times above, Yasaka Mark V is a great stop for rookie players, great control and a bit of pace. Perfect for developing skills :)

Reactions: akonebrahim
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Anything with good control and spin and not an overwhelming amount of pace. Rakza 7 and Rakza 7 soft are very spin oriented rubbers with great control. Also As mentioned a few times above, Yasaka Mark V is a great stop for rookie players, great control and a bit of pace. Perfect for developing skills :)

I find it is hard to generate a lot of spin with mark V.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I would say stay with the JO Coppa or try something linearly equal in spin, but perhaps a bit more in speed. Xplode Sensitive (white sponge) is a step up in speed and probably equal in spin. If you want more control for your shots to help develop your stroke I'd recommend the same as others are saying: Sriver, Mark V, or on the JOOLA side Mambo or Mambo H.

Reactions: agold