PDA

View Full Version : going to china for 2 months training 18y/o by my self

thethundertt
04-24-2014, 12:10 PM
hi guys i have decided to spend the summer months in china this year to play table tennis i'd say my level now is average county player don't know how good i will be when i get back and wonder if anyone has any advice before i go on what to take how to behave there or any past experiences of intensive training

Mr. RicharD
04-24-2014, 12:37 PM
Could you post a video of you playing? Also which province are you traveling to?

ToyKnee
04-24-2014, 12:59 PM
Take me there with you!

After you come back, please tell us your experience of how it was like, travelling to a country with a language you don't speak, (if you don't speak Chinese).

thethundertt
04-24-2014, 04:41 PM
sure no problem i don't speak any chinese so i will come back with some feedback im going to the training centre in zhengding i believe it is the biggest most popular one over there

thethundertt
04-24-2014, 04:43 PM
Could you post a video of you playing? Also which province are you traveling to? cannot post video at the moment as i have not done enough posts for the website to allow me to

MDanielCRO
04-24-2014, 06:03 PM
Before you go to China and Zhengdind, you should read this:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g1726792-d1805869-Reviews-Table_tennis_Training_Base-Zhengding_County_Hebei.html

Pongfinity
04-24-2014, 07:35 PM
The trip will be fantastic, I can tell you by experience :) Ihave been a few times at Beijing Shichahai Sports school. Was awesome and improved a lot during that stay. Writing on phoneatm so ill keep it short but yeh, it was a great experience.

thethundertt
04-24-2014, 08:03 PM
[QUOTE=MDanielCRO;80738]Before you go to China and Zhengdind, you should read this:QUOTE]
i have read these and have also spoke to people that i know that have been they all seem confident on the reliability of the place the people that write reviews on trip advisor usually have nothing nice to say, i have bought my plane tickets so there is no going back now just got to bite the bullet and hopefully it will; turn out well

thethundertt
04-24-2014, 08:05 PM
The trip will be fantastic, I can tell you by experience :) Ihave been a few times at Beijing Shichahai Sports school. Was awesome and improved a lot during that stay. Writing on phoneatm so ill keep it short but yeh, it was a great experience.
yeah thanks i hope so how much by percentage would you say you improved?

mahomedy13
04-24-2014, 08:42 PM
Good Luck.hope you enjoy it and learn well

thethundertt
04-24-2014, 08:55 PM
thank you i hope i do to

ToyKnee
04-24-2014, 09:47 PM
How long are you staying there and how much does the whole trip cost?

thethundertt
04-24-2014, 10:00 PM
How long are you staying there and how much does the whole trip cost?
going from the 27th of june to the 4th of september and the whole trip im hoping to come to less then £4k at the moment its about £3k but i anticipate having to spend more there flights insurance visa training and accommodation and food hotel in beigjing so far is 3k flying from uk

Tony's Table Tennis
04-24-2014, 10:57 PM
Did you book directly with Zheng Ding? or through the "bad agents" CNTTC (which has nothing to do with Chinese national team or CTTA)?

thethundertt
04-24-2014, 11:25 PM
Did you book directly with Zheng Ding? or through the "bad agents" CNTTC (which has nothing to do with Chinese national team or CTTA)?
Thankfully I was warned about the agencies and managed to book directly with the centre

RIPPER
04-25-2014, 01:01 AM
Hi the thunder tt...I have trained at zhengding training centre on 3 separate ocassions...the training is 5 to 7 hours a day and is intense but you can control how intense it is yourself as it is dependant on fitness

RIPPER
04-25-2014, 01:09 AM
I would make sure that you have a good level of fitness and they also have a very nice gym there that you can use whenever you want. They will see what level you play at and then put u in a squad they haveall different kinds of players turning up there so it doesnt matter what level u play at. They will fit u in the right squad and then if u ever feel tht u need to go up or down a squad or u would like matches then just ask the coach and they will arrange it for u. From memory u will start training at 8am ish and after lunch a lot of the players have a nap which I would recomend and then second training at about 2pm then dinner and the third sessio is optional if u want to do service receive practice most of the tym

RIPPER
04-25-2014, 01:11 AM
Btw where in england do u play I used to play in bristol

rhonis
04-25-2014, 06:29 AM
going from the 27th of june to the 4th of september and the whole trip im hoping to come to less then £4k at the moment its about £3k but i anticipate having to spend more there flights insurance visa training and accommodation and food hotel in beigjing so far is 3k flying from uk

Hi I have been to beijing and I have heared that life at the training centre is a bit expensive and the food is crap. However life in being is really cheap. The food is great. Check out several restaurants, I managed to have a full meal (being duck, meat and rice etc) incl beer for 70rmb (8€) most of it was beer.
1 tip don't eat the green beans!!! They were so hot I almost died. It toke 2 big beers to cool down. The Chinese on the table next to me also almost died of laughing at me. 1 hour later in the street I had to drink another cool beer because I was on fire again after a burp. So don't eat the green beans! Ans have lots of fun.

Send from my Samsung Galaxy s4 by using Tapatalk

TT4Life
04-25-2014, 07:07 AM
cool trip keep us posted :)

thethundertt
04-25-2014, 08:07 AM
Btw where in england do u play I used to play in bristol
thanks what youve said is very encouraging i play in sheffield ive done most the GP circuit this year

Tony's Table Tennis
04-25-2014, 09:24 AM
I would make sure that you have a good level of fitness and they also have a very nice gym there that you can use whenever you want. They will see what level you play at and then put u in a squad they haveall different kinds of players turning up there so it doesnt matter what level u play at. They will fit u in the right squad and then if u ever feel tht u need to go up or down a squad or u would like matches then just ask the coach and they will arrange it for u. From memory u will start training at 8am ish and after lunch a lot of the players have a nap which I would recomend and then second training at about 2pm then dinner and the third sessio is optional if u want to do service receive practice most of the tym

Correct, make sure you take the nap - you will need it for the afternoon session.
Also, how many hours are you training a week now? If very little, your body won't adapt well to 40+ hours a week.

Training 2 months full time for first timers may end up pretty boring and tiring. So I hope you have the will power of going through with it.

thethundertt
04-25-2014, 09:32 AM
Correct, make sure you take the nap - you will need it for the afternoon session.
Also, how many hours are you training a week now? If very little, your body won't adapt well to 40+ hours a week.

Training 2 months full time for first timers may end up pretty boring and tiring. So I hope you have the will power of going through with it.
yes at the moment i am at low amount of around 10 but have done 20 hours in the past and haven't struggled out of everything i would say fitness is low down on my worries.

Tony's Table Tennis
04-25-2014, 09:38 AM
yes at the moment i am at low amount of around 10 but have done 20 hours in the past and haven't struggled out of everything i would say fitness is low down on my worries.

Don't underestimate 20 hours vs 40 hours and also 8 x 40 hours.
Playing 6 hours+ a day vs 3 hours+ a day is very different. I know because I used to train 40 hours a week.
I have students that train around 10 to 15 hours a week, I can promise you none of them can handle 40 hours.
Injury from over working your body is the last thing you want during your trip.

Other than that, just get used to some Chinese food (rice/noodle + dishes)

Another thing that might be a small issue is your skills, as some times certain coaches may hold back teaching you "everything". But no matter what, I"m sure you will learn and train a lot and get into a better form.
Some bad things I heard is that certain skills are so bad that the coach require to spend half the time undoing those bad habits, so after a month or 2, the player isn't really playing better, but is playing correctly. Correctly does not equal winning.
This is all normal for improvements, so it depends on how you see what improvement is.

thethundertt
04-25-2014, 09:52 AM
Don't underestimate 20 hours vs 40 hours and also 8 x 40 hours.
Playing 6 hours+ a day vs 3 hours+ a day is very different. I know because I used to train 40 hours a week.
I have students that train around 10 to 15 hours a week, I can promise you none of them can handle 40 hours.
Injury from over working your body is the last thing you want during your trip.

Other than that, just get used to some Chinese food (rice/noodle + dishes)

Another thing that might be a small issue is your skills, as some times certain coaches may hold back teaching you "everything". But no matter what, I"m sure you will learn and train a lot and get into a better form.
Some bad things I heard is that certain skills are so bad that the coach require to spend half the time undoing those bad habits, so after a month or 2, the player isn't really playing better, but is playing correctly. Correctly does not equal winning.
This is all normal for improvements, so it depends on how you see what improvement is.
i understand, how would you suggest preparing myself for the 40 hours a week then?

SquareBall
04-25-2014, 10:08 AM
i understand, how would you suggest preparing myself for the 40 hours a week then?
In the area you live you can easily have access to a running court ? a swimming pool ? a gym ? Whatever it is go for that and don't do galactic exercises do stamina exercise. For example if you go at the swimming pool dont do 50 meters sprint. Do 100 or 200 meters with small brakes. You don't need to go into muscul oriented exercise you need heart to work in high pace. In general improve your fitness. Good luck ,have fun, and im Jealous :D

Tony's Table Tennis
04-25-2014, 10:36 AM
In the area you live you can easily have access to a running court ? a swimming pool ? a gym ? Whatever it is go for that and don't do galactic exercises do stamina exercise. For example if you go at the swimming pool dont do 50 meters sprint. Do 100 or 200 meters with small brakes. You don't need to go into muscul oriented exercise you need heart to work in high pace. In general improve your fitness. Good luck ,have fun, and im Jealous :D

Yeah, building in stamina is good.
But doing a FH stroke for few thousand times in a day is also different too.

I would suggestion that you train a few 6 hours days (3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon) building up to your departure.
IE, every saturday for 1 months leading up to your trip.
Make sure its not just the hour but the intensity level too.

So with what Squareball mentioned - try and do 30 mins a day on jogging, long distance swimming etc.
Do your normal 15 hours a week - and the extra full day or two in a week.
This should come to 25 hours or so.
Then I think it should be fine.

When you in China, make sure you do enough stretches and cool downs.
Do it even when you wake up and before you go to sleep

First few days it may be tough, but after a week you will get used to it.
After two weeks to three weeks you may start getting tired
After 4 weeks of the same thing, you may start getting bored
So it all depends on how exiting the program is, and your attention level

thethundertt
04-25-2014, 10:59 AM
Yeah, building in stamina is good.
But doing a FH stroke for few thousand times in a day is also different too.

I would suggestion that you train a few 6 hours days (3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon) building up to your departure.
IE, every saturday for 1 months leading up to your trip.
Make sure its not just the hour but the intensity level too.

So with what Squareball mentioned - try and do 30 mins a day on jogging, long distance swimming etc.
Do your normal 15 hours a week - and the extra full day or two in a week.
This should come to 25 hours or so.
Then I think it should be fine.

When you in China, make sure you do enough stretches and cool downs.
Do it even when you wake up and before you go to sleep

First few days it may be tough, but after a week you will get used to it.
After two weeks to three weeks you may start getting tired
After 4 weeks of the same thing, you may start getting bored
So it all depends on how exiting the program is, and your attention level
thanks that seems achievable as my lifestyle is already rather active.

thethundertt
04-25-2014, 11:01 AM
has anyone that has been know how many overseas people are usually there and whether many english speakers go?

Pongfinity
04-25-2014, 07:19 PM
yeah thanks i hope so how much by percentage would you say you improved?

Hard to say.. the changes in your playing will be big though. Actually there was a same kind of thread like this before, I wrote more about my visits experiences there: http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?4248-Trainning-in-China

Taken from that thread:

"I've been in China twice to train there a couple of weeks each time. Those trips were really nice. I was in a sports school in Beijing (same from where Ma Long and Ding Ning has come from). It was 5h training/day and 6 days/week. This school had quite young players, everything from 7 to 15- or 16- years old I believe.
The trainings were very different than European trainings. Firstly, the warming up was very long, we hit sometimes like 20 minutes only FH.. Secondly, the exercises we made was quite easy. The point in that was to do many repeats and in that way become a more secure player. Even the youngest were like machines when doing those exercises, they were so secure doing them. But when we started to play matches it was different of course, it was quite easy to win the youngest players because they didn't really have match experience (retrieving serves etc.).

The couches were quite tight on the chinese players, they really wanted them to do well when they played against us. They made sure that we got good practice, even though they didn't give us so much advices. But what they taught us was totally different things than we had been taught to here in Europe. The technique is so different (especially for FH). After some weeks of training there I had my best FH ever, but when I returned back to Finland it kind of disappeared again because nobody knows that real (chinese) technique. So my playing style kind of returned to the same old "European"-style after some months.

Anyway it was truly amazing trips. I totally recommend to go and experience it yourself also. You can't imagine the level of the players before you see them with your own eyes. We actually also got to play with maybe the best 7-year-old boy in the world, he was unbelievable good. But table tennis is probably the only sport in the world that makes it possible for a 7-year-old to be as good as many (ok/good-leveled) adults."

Tony's Table Tennis
04-25-2014, 08:56 PM
Yep, thats the thing

Training to fix technique, or training for the sake of training.
That is a big difference

2 weeks, 2 months is not a lot of time to fix technique - in terms of sufficient time for it to totally become your new habit.
It all depends on the coach and how much effort he/she is willing to put into you.

In both your instances, you both are young, but maybe a bit too old in some coaches eye.
So it all got to do with what program, coach and your condition/technique.

No matter what, it will be a life time experience for sure.

Btw, you should ask Zheng Ding if there are going to be other foreigners there. It differs time to time.

thethundertt
04-25-2014, 09:34 PM
Yep, thats the thing

Training to fix technique, or training for the sake of training.
That is a big difference

2 weeks, 2 months is not a lot of time to fix technique - in terms of sufficient time for it to totally become your new habit.
It all depends on the coach and how much effort he/she is willing to put into you.

In both your instances, you both are young, but maybe a bit too old in some coaches eye.
So it all got to do with what program, coach and your condition/technique.

No matter what, it will be a life time experience for sure.

Btw, you should ask Zheng Ding if there are going to be other foreigners there. It differs time to time.
thanks i will ask them i would say my technique is rather orthodox for here in things i think i will gain the most is footwork currently i would say that that let the rest of my game down

mahomedy13
04-26-2014, 02:32 PM
i would say a good exercise will include the use of dumbells,especially on your racket hand.We dont you to drop your racket because your hand becomes too
weak!:p

Tony's Table Tennis
04-26-2014, 03:30 PM
i would say a good exercise will include the use of dumbells,especially on your racket hand.We dont you to drop your racket because your hand becomes too
weak!:p

No, that is totally something very different.

thethundertt
04-26-2014, 10:43 PM
No, that is totally something very different.

I am also a tennis player so I don't lack in upper body strength endurance is probably what I need more then anything

Tony's Table Tennis
04-27-2014, 11:05 AM
I am also a tennis player so I don't lack in upper body strength endurance is probably what I need more then anything

I'm also not talking about upper body strength.
Any ways, go and see for yourself.

thethundertt
04-27-2014, 11:07 AM
I'm also not talking about upper body strength.
Any ways, go and see for yourself.
I was agreeing with you unless you think dumbbells can be used for something other then upper body strength

Tony's Table Tennis
04-27-2014, 11:08 AM
I was agreeing with you unless you think dumbbells can be used for something other then upper body strength

lol, okay.
I thought you were disagreeing, my bad

mahomedy13
04-29-2014, 12:19 PM
Like i said before,good luck,train hard and tell us what you experienced,and whether you feel you have improved or not.

Tony's Table Tennis
04-29-2014, 12:36 PM
Like i said before,good luck,train hard and tell us what you experienced,and whether you feel you have improved or not.

I'm sure he will, just give him a chance to go to China first lol

RIPPER
04-30-2014, 08:39 AM
thanks what youve said is very encouraging i play in sheffield ive done most the GP circuit this year

R ok so do u ever play against will bayley? Are you playing london gp this wekend if so what bands r u playing?

For the amount of foreign players...I was there in september to october time and was very humid so I would get used to training in the heat when I was there there were about 4 thailand/malaysian players and also the world no 7 chinese women from spain was there too so that was col

RIPPER
04-30-2014, 09:21 AM

R ok so do u ever play against will bayley? Are you playing london gp this wekend if so what bands r u playing?

For the amount of foreign players...I was there in september to october time and was very humid so I would get used to training in the heat when I was there there were about 4 thailand/malaysian players and also the world no 7 chinese women from spain was there too so that was col

thethundertt
05-02-2014, 11:20 PM

No I'm not playing London GP got my A-levels I've been told by the centre there are Italians french Denmark and Swedish people there at the same time as me

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

thethundertt
05-18-2014, 05:13 PM
does anyone have tips on getting sponsorship for rubbers and cloths before i go it looks like being pretty expensive for what im going to need :(

Tony's Table Tennis
05-18-2014, 05:15 PM
does anyone have tips on getting sponsorship for rubbers and cloths before i go it looks like being pretty expensive for what im going to need :(

Clothes and rubber should be the cheapest thing for your entire trip.
If you can finance that trip, how come you can't finance clothing and rubbers?

thethundertt
05-18-2014, 06:06 PM
Clothes and rubber should be the cheapest thing for your entire trip.
If you can finance that trip, how come you can't finance clothing and rubbers?

It's not that I cannot afford them its just money I do have is limited and I do want some left for when I am there and the rest of my life for 3 pairs of rubbers its >£200 I can't justify spending that much on rubbers and may end up just going with my current stuff with maybe one new set of rubbers

Tony's Table Tennis
05-18-2014, 07:07 PM
It's not that I cannot afford them its just money I do have is limited and I do want some left for when I am there and the rest of my life for 3 pairs of rubbers its >£200 I can't justify spending that much on rubbers and may end up just going with my current stuff with maybe one new set of rubbers

Then, you can cut your stay short for few days, that can get you rubbers and clothing easily.
12 weeks and 11 weeks shouldnt be too different

Other than that, find a part time job or something to save up for equipment.
Or get a short term loan from family or friends

thethundertt
05-18-2014, 07:21 PM
Then, you can cut your stay short for few days, that can get you rubbers and clothing easily.
12 weeks and 11 weeks shouldnt be too different

Other than that, find a part time job or something to save up for equipment.
Or get a short term loan from family or friends
you're not really answering my question you are just thinking of other ways to get money, i have exams therefore work is out of the question and i'd rather not get into debt to any extent and with flights booked as well as the training cutting my trip short would be pointless.

Tony's Table Tennis
05-18-2014, 07:41 PM
you're not really answering my question you are just thinking of other ways to get money, i have exams therefore work is out of the question and i'd rather not get into debt to any extent and with flights booked as well as the training cutting my trip short would be pointless.

If money is such an issue, then why are you training in China for 3 months?
12 weeks to 11 weeks won't become pointless...

So what do you want to hear from the forum? you know what, you can become a top level player before you leave and apply for sponsorship.
or become marketing material/quality, so you are able to provide return on investments to who ever can sponsor you.
I don't think asking around on the forum will help, unless you are hoping some one will donate to you?

Few rubbers and clothes is really little, rather ask family and friends to support you.
Or go and speak to your local TT shops and see if you are worthy for sponsorship.
Ask your local companies to sponsor you

But to me honest, its so little money
I would rather get people to cover the 3 month training fee, than just a few rubbers.

PS I come from a background which includes getting 11 players sponsored and included sponsoring a South African band called Parotones for 2 years - that was a multimillion rand (south african rand) investment.
So, from the previous post, I have already answered you question, think out side the box

thethundertt
05-18-2014, 08:10 PM
If money is such an issue, then why are you training in China for 3 months?
12 weeks to 11 weeks won't become pointless...

So what do you want to hear from the forum? you know what, you can become a top level player before you leave and apply for sponsorship.
or become marketing material/quality, so you are able to provide return on investments to who ever can sponsor you.
I don't think asking around on the forum will help, unless you are hoping some one will donate to you?

Few rubbers and clothes is really little, rather ask family and friends to support you.
Or go and speak to your local TT shops and see if you are worthy for sponsorship.
Ask your local companies to sponsor you

But to me honest, its so little money
I would rather get people to cover the 3 month training fee, than just a few rubbers.

PS I come from a background which includes getting 11 players sponsored and included sponsoring a South African band called Parotones for 2 years - that was a multimillion rand (south african rand) investment.
So, from the previous post, I have already answered you question, think out side the box
thanks i understand that. i am in communication with a few tt shops they just take time to reply to e-mails. i don't know what the player sponsorship is like in South Africa but when i'm playing in the tournaments around the UK alot of players have sponsors names on their backs i would go as far to say 1/3 at the top competitions. i was asking the forum if they had any tips in getting the 50% to 100% sponsorship that these players have. if it is because of a future investment that you said in your previous post or by the people you know or purely by ranking i would like the forum to let me know. If there is anyone that has been involved or is involved in how they select their players they could perhaps tell me and i would know if i am likely to by eligible or why i wouldn't be.

Tony's Table Tennis
05-18-2014, 08:31 PM
Okay good luck

Der_Echte
05-18-2014, 09:13 PM
Learn Chinese, I got sponsored because I learned Korean and was active on many forums. (and already tested many equipment on forums)

I would wager that there are very few decent level city players as foreigners who speak very good Chinese and are active on worldwide TT froums. maybe you could link up with foreigners there and group together and make a squad for the GLORY of it all.

Der_Echte
05-18-2014, 09:16 PM
Whether you win or not, take a LOT of pics, make a GOOD story, tell it vividly, and have a blast at it.

thethundertt
06-30-2014, 03:53 PM
Just arrived in china so far centre has been helpful in arranging my pick up from the train station on Wednesday looking forward to the training :)

Tony's Table Tennis
06-30-2014, 04:09 PM
Just arrived in china so far centre has been helpful in arranging my pick up from the train station on Wednesday looking forward to the training :)

Thats great

Did you go by normal train or bullet train?
I guest you found the airport to train station transfer easy then?

And at least we know, you have internet lol

thethundertt
06-30-2014, 04:13 PM
I'm in Beijing at the moment in hotel got the bullet train on Wednesday morning. So many outside tables to play on and I've not seen any not being used mainly by older men I imagine the good youngsters play at the sports centres and schools.

Tony's Table Tennis
07-01-2014, 01:45 AM
I'm in Beijing at the moment in hotel got the bullet train on Wednesday morning. So many outside tables to play on and I've not seen any not being used mainly by older men I imagine the good youngsters play at the sports centres and schools.

oh boy....
How is the air though?
and how is the natural steamer?
Not nice to be in Beijing in the peak of summer

any plans for today (Tuesday)?

thethundertt
07-01-2014, 10:42 AM
The air looks bad but doesn't feel it. And the heat is a nice change from constant rain and cold of England just been shopping today the heat makes me tired.

Dan
07-01-2014, 01:09 PM
The air looks bad but doesn't feel it. And the heat is a nice change from constant rain and cold of England just been shopping today the heat makes me tired.
Have an amazing time in China! Looking forward to pics and videos of your stay :) Train hard.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Pongfinity
07-01-2014, 04:31 PM
Yep have fun :) I bought a lot of good training shirts for about 3euros each at the extremely cheap shopping centers. A lot of good and cheap things to buy there :p

thethundertt
07-01-2014, 04:33 PM
Yep have fun :) I bought a lot of good training shirts for about 3euros each at the extremely cheap shopping centers. A lot of good and cheap things to buy there :p
Problem is getting them back I have little space left in suit case now every thing is cheap over here got a taxi across the city today for about £2

laurenthb
07-01-2014, 06:20 PM
I hope you keep us updated on how it is, definitely a trip you could convince me to make!

thethundertt
07-02-2014, 06:41 AM
Just arrived at the centre its very big and much fancier then I expected rooms are nice and staff are friendly however only 2 speak English

Dan
07-02-2014, 10:32 AM
Just arrived at the centre its very big and much fancier then I expected rooms are nice and staff are friendly however only 2 speak English
Awesome! How many tables are in the hall? is there 1 hall or multiple sports halls

Der_Echte
07-02-2014, 01:00 PM
Listen to those with experience and STAY AWAY from the alcohol missions when alone. No better way to get into trouble than that, unless you mess with women.

After you are there a bit, go roll with your new friends and those who have been there, adventure is waiting and we will track you down if you do not frequently post pics and stories !!!

This is a chance of a lifetime for you, live it up and do the work too.

thethundertt
07-02-2014, 01:20 PM
Listen to those with experience and STAY AWAY from the alcohol missions when alone. No better way to get into trouble than that, unless you mess with women.

After you are there a bit, go roll with your new friends and those who have been there, adventure is waiting and we will track you down if you do not frequently post pics and stories !!!

This is a chance of a lifetime for you, live it up and do the work too.
Haha I don't intend in drinking much bit apprehensive in thinks today as I have just arrived sure I'll gain confidence around the centre once I start training tomorrow

TTHopeful
07-02-2014, 01:33 PM
What area of China are you in? How many weeks you out there for? Im jealous! Have fun!

bear
07-02-2014, 02:40 PM
good luck:P

Mikael Berglund
07-02-2014, 03:31 PM
I'm going to Zhengding for two weeks of practice at the end of July! Catch you there!

thethundertt
07-02-2014, 03:42 PM
I'm going to Zhengding for two weeks of practice at the end of July! Catch you there!
Great I'm glad someone else is haven't seen any non-chinese people yet

thethundertt
07-04-2014, 03:41 AM
Just had first multi ball session with coach was good but never been more worn out at the end

Tony's Table Tennis
07-04-2014, 07:25 AM
Just had first multi ball session with coach was good but never been more worn out at the end

come on, you are a fit 18 years old :p

thethundertt
07-04-2014, 09:28 AM
come on, you are a fit 18 years old :p
Compared to the chines players I'm probably obese

Dan
07-04-2014, 03:03 PM
Great I'm glad someone else is haven't seen any non-chinese people yet
Great to see TTD will bring you two together. whats the standard like in your club bud? I hear there are 10 year olds in China who are awesome! :)

Pongfinity
07-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Great to see TTD will bring you two together. whats the standard like in your club bud? I hear there are 10 year olds in China who are awesome! :)

Indeed there is those incredible young players! During our trip there we got to play against the best 7-year-old kid in the world, you just can't imagine his level without being able to see it with your own eyes. Really spectacular.. Table tennis has to be one of those very few sports in the world where age doesn't really play a big difference. BUT considering that even some of those 7-year-old kids have been practising more (5h/day,6x week) in their short life than most of us, it's no wonder that they are&become so good :p

Dan
07-05-2014, 02:54 PM
Indeed there is those incredible young players! During our trip there we got to play against the best 7-year-old kid in the world, you just can't imagine his level without being able to see it with your own eyes. Really spectacular.. Table tennis has to be one of those very few sports in the world where age doesn't really play a big difference. BUT considering that even some of those 7-year-old kids have been practising more (5h/day,6x week) in their short life than most of us, it's no wonder that they are&become so good :p

Wow that is incredible! How was he measured to be the best 7 year old in the world? Did he win a competition?

I would love to see a video of these young guys playing! You are so right, table tennis can be played by anyone of all ages. The system in China can produce champions so quickly if you put the effort in.

Did you play against the 7 year old in a match? Was it difficult?

Pongfinity
07-05-2014, 08:21 PM
Those training schools/centers have tournaments against each other and this 7 year old had won the competition and the coaches there said also that he is the best one in China (=World also) in his age. And the coaches there were really good, 1 of our coaches had won the Chinese Junior (17 years) Championship when he was young and they have been training Ma Long and Ding Ning (ML and DN are from the same school as we were in).

Now afterwards the only thing I regret with my trips there was that I didn't have a video camera with me there. Would have been awesome to check out my matches against them and just show everybody what the level of those youngsters is there :P

Yeh indeed I did play matches against him! :D I remember first time I went there I won him quite easily 3-0 but when I came there again he had improved A LOT! I was still able to win (can't remember how much, maybe 3-1) but it was already a good match. Well, those youngest kids didn't throw the ball nearly at all when they were serving which made it quite much harder, but still.. even those 7 year old kids are like machines when they are doing regular exercises. And of course the forehand was their best weapon, they went for that most of the time :p

Tony's Table Tennis
07-06-2014, 05:34 PM
Compared to the chines players I'm probably obese

Don't worry, 2 months can fix a lot of things :p

BTW, do a before 2months and after 2month video comparison if you can :)

Laki Sultan
07-07-2014, 04:02 PM

Dan
07-09-2014, 09:07 AM
Those training schools/centers have tournaments against each other and this 7 year old had won the competition and the coaches there said also that he is the best one in China (=World also) in his age. And the coaches there were really good, 1 of our coaches had won the Chinese Junior (17 years) Championship when he was young and they have been training Ma Long and Ding Ning (ML and DN are from the same school as we were in).

Now afterwards the only thing I regret with my trips there was that I didn't have a video camera with me there. Would have been awesome to check out my matches against them and just show everybody what the level of those youngsters is there :P

Yeh indeed I did play matches against him! :D I remember first time I went there I won him quite easily 3-0 but when I came there again he had improved A LOT! I was still able to win (can't remember how much, maybe 3-1) but it was already a good match. Well, those youngest kids didn't throw the ball nearly at all when they were serving which made it quite much harder, but still.. even those 7 year old kids are like machines when they are doing regular exercises. And of course the forehand was their best weapon, they went for that most of the time :p

Wow that is awesome! So you can say you trained at the same school as Ma Long and Ding Ning did :)

I bet that 7 year old is very, very good now haha! We may see him in the China Super League soon!

Tony's Table Tennis
07-09-2014, 09:51 AM
Wow that is awesome! So you can say you trained at the same school as Ma Long and Ding Ning did :)

Well, to be more precise.
Zheng Ding is the most used national table tennis base (if I recall correctly).

It has been used nearly 30 times in the past 20 years for the A team alone.

Other than that, ML and DN did not grow up in that base, but as a participant there, you are basically sharing the same rooms, tables, chopsticks etc used by current and past Chinese greats!
:)

thethundertt
07-09-2014, 12:02 PM
There are no Chinese nationals training with us at the moment apart from the disabled (one armed) players who still happen to be pretty good the best players here at the moment are probable Puerto Rican jnr world 24 Brian affandor and the best Chinese player is the number 4 of the Provence and plays in the 2nd division of the Chinese super league

TTHopeful
07-09-2014, 02:46 PM
There are no Chinese nationals training with us at the moment apart from the disabled (one armed) players who still happen to be pretty good the best players here at the moment are probable Puerto Rican jnr world 24 Brian affandor and the best Chinese player is the number 4 of the Provence and plays in the 2nd division of the Chinese super league
How are you coping with the training?

SpinQuark
07-11-2014, 07:35 PM
Yes, tell us all more, lots more about your great trip and your training.
What exactly is different about the training ? Is it just the quantity, or are they getting you to completely change any aspects of your strokes?
Have you been told things that western coaches never teach?

thethundertt
07-11-2014, 11:57 PM
Yes, tell us all more, lots more about your great trip and your training.
What exactly is different about the training ? Is it just the quantity, or are they getting you to completely change any aspects of your strokes?
Have you been told things that western coaches never teach?
The morning is multi ball very high intensity forehand based movement usually. After the break at 10am its more open sometimes the coach says what to do other times you decide. In the afternoon we to move conventional exercises still largely based on forehand the fist one is usually 20 min of topspin drive from back hand 2/3 of the table after the break in the afternoon its usually matches there's a mini tournament every Friday afternoon.

Dan
07-12-2014, 09:15 AM
Well, to be more precise.
Zheng Ding is the most used national table tennis base (if I recall correctly).

It has been used nearly 30 times in the past 20 years for the A team alone.

Other than that, ML and DN did not grow up in that base, but as a participant there, you are basically sharing the same rooms, tables, chopsticks etc used by current and past Chinese greats!
:)

Thanks Tony!

That is great, I need to visit Zheng Ding one day! It must produce players like a factory :D

Rory
07-12-2014, 04:44 PM
I was thinking about going to train there as well. I look forward to hearing about your experience.

Pongfinity
07-12-2014, 04:49 PM

I bet that 7 year old is very, very good now haha! We may see him in the China Super League soon!

Haha yes, and who knows the kid might be a world champion later :)

evren_us
07-16-2014, 10:09 AM
good luck in china

Dan
07-17-2014, 09:53 PM
What rubbers are the players generally playing with. I remember @Tom saying when he visited China players were using anything they could get their hands on. He said they could play great with anything and some players were still using speed glue :)

thethundertt
07-18-2014, 04:35 AM
What rubbers are the players generally playing with. I remember @Tom saying when he visited China players were using anything they could get their hands on. He said they could play great with anything and some players were still using speed glue :)
I think the rubbers often depends on what they can afford but from the players I train with they are keen on tenergy 05 hurricain 2 and xiom Asia

Spirit
07-18-2014, 07:22 AM
This is great idea to improve your game. Regards from Montenegro..:)

Dan
07-18-2014, 11:23 PM
I think the rubbers often depends on what they can afford but from the players I train with they are keen on tenergy 05 hurricain 2 and xiom Asia

Yeah that's true, okay cool thanks!

Hope your enjoying it out there. If you can post some pictures that would be great, I would like to see what the place is like.

thethundertt
07-21-2014, 01:09 AM
Chinese national junior team has arrived to train they are good to watch but have made us change the times that we train we now train at 12:30 and 18:30 instead of 8:30 and 14:30

harveyaquino
07-21-2014, 04:07 AM
Chinese national junior team has arrived to train they are good to watch but have made us change the times that we train we now train at 12:30 and 18:30 instead of 8:30 and 14:30

Good luck on your training and train hard! That is one rare opportunity for most of players. If I had funds I would also like to go there to train and meet new friends. What is your equipment by the way?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

thethundertt
07-21-2014, 04:16 AM
Good luck on your training and train hard! That is one rare opportunity for most of players. If I had funds I would also like to go there to train and meet new friends. What is your equipment by the way?

I have started playing with xiom stuff with ignito blade and Vega pro fh and elite bh having gained some sponsorship but not too pleased with it atm

harveyaquino
07-21-2014, 05:22 AM
I have started playing with xiom stuff with ignito blade and Vega pro fh and elite bh having gained some sponsorship but not too pleased with it atm

Ooh. My first composite blade was Ignito. It was good for me, but lacked speed IMO. But it is very nice. I think those rubbers you paired it were also slow.

thethundertt
07-21-2014, 06:40 AM
Ooh. My first composite blade was Ignito. It was good for me, but lacked speed IMO. But it is very nice. I think those rubbers you paired it were also slow.

The rubbers are worn already on both bats so may buy some new ones for rest of trip I'm thinking tenergy 05 is safe bet for fh and maybe tenergy 80 for BH any other suggestions would be welcome it won't take long to get used to seen as I'm playing 6 hours a day

harveyaquino
07-21-2014, 07:53 AM
The rubbers are worn already on both bats so may buy some new ones for rest of trip I'm thinking tenergy 05 is safe bet for fh and maybe tenergy 80 for BH any other suggestions would be welcome it won't take long to get used to seen as I'm playing 6 hours a day

Tenergy 05 is a very good FH rubber. And with your training I bet you will utilize its full potential in just a short time. Also, I would recommend Tenergy 25 although few people use it, it is a good rubber for attacking close to table, IMO it is like H2, low throw but deadly spin, just a hair less spinner than 05. I have personally tried both and liked 25 more. But 05 is a very safe bet for FH. For BH, I would recommend Baracuda. It is like a baby T05, it just lacks speed but is very good with BH. All were tested on TB ALC.

weiren_lim
07-26-2014, 05:23 AM
If you're going to China, get a tacky rubber... most chinese players prefer a tacky chinese rubber on the FH for spin. Their power comes from their technique or blade. For BH, go with anything that has a soft touch for blocks. And prepare to change your rubbers very often, they train 8 hours a day regularly. As a bonus, you might want to ask if you can get your hands on a DHS Hurricane 3 National version rubber. :D

elrigo99
07-26-2014, 11:44 PM
Actually their power, like everybody's power comes from the quantity and quality of their training. Obviously there are setups which you can find more confortable with buy imho when you get used to tensor rubbers after many years it's very difficult to get used to a tacky rubber (personal experience, I haven't even played that much time, but I found H3 orange sponge really unplayable, a chopping rubber would have been faster).

harveyaquino
07-27-2014, 01:46 AM
Also, Chinese usually starts young with Chinese rubbers si they are tuned to tacky rubbers at a very early time. So you should just stick to what your coach tells you and what you are comfortable with. I agree with elrigo that the quantity and quality of training is what sets them apart.

Der_Echte
07-27-2014, 03:09 AM
Actually their power, like everybody's power comes from the quantity and quality of their training. Obviously there are setups which you can find more confortable with buy imho when you get used to tensor rubbers after many years it's very difficult to get used to a tacky rubber (personal experience, I haven't even played that much time, but I found H3 orange sponge really unplayable, a chopping rubber would have been faster).

Agreed. The #19 sponged version of H3 was so disappointing slow I assigned it a negative value and called it a black hole of a rubber. Only BTY Super Anti had such a dead sponge as #19 sponge. The stock sponge of H3 NEO was still decent enough after tuning effect wore off and the rubber broken in, even a few years later it serves it purpose. I will never again get #19 sponge ever. I think both Sriver FX and Tackiness Drive were WAY faster.

I dislike over-tackiness. If I use a tacky Chinese rubber, I wear off the tack as soon as I can to make it only mildly tacky. That seems to make the whole thing play better when it uses a serviceable sponge.

dici
07-27-2014, 03:57 AM
I would disagree that chinese player only like tacky rubber. In fact nowadays those non or semi pro also suggest using euro or jp rubber such as xiom and other. One of the reason is durability and better and consistent rubber quality

Mikael Berglund
07-27-2014, 08:07 AM
We're here now! Quite jetlagged, training begins tomorrow.

thethundertt
07-31-2014, 04:06 PM
Reached my 1/2 way point now, 1 month down 1 to go. I am confident that I have improved already and now. I have my new racket I feel that the next month will give me more benefits as I am comfortable with the training and food and when I should rest. I hope I can beat more then 7 Chinese players this month which would be an increase on last month.

thethundertt
08-08-2014, 10:04 AM
Xu xin is here training at the moment as well as french team as well don't know how long they will stay for

Dan
08-08-2014, 10:07 AM
Reached my 1/2 way point now, 1 month down 1 to go. I am confident that I have improved already and now. I have my new racket I feel that the next month will give me more benefits as I am comfortable with the training and food and when I should rest. I hope I can beat more then 7 Chinese players this month which would be an increase on last month.

Wow your there for 2 months? That's a fantastic effort! I am sure you are improving so much! It's like your going into some sort of time continuum. Training there for 2 months in China is equivalent to 2 years at home :)

Xu xin is here training at the moment as well as french team as well don't know how long they will stay for

Xu Xin is there? That is cool! The French team, is that the first team? It's good to see they train with China pro's like Xu Xin.

ZJK Freak
08-08-2014, 10:58 AM
I think it will be great but when you come back you will be very tired and after two weeks you will be able to play your best tt

joskokustura
08-08-2014, 12:06 PM

What rubbers and blade are you using?

Mikael Berglund
08-08-2014, 02:53 PM
Regarding rubbers and blades, I'd say around 50% of the resident players has Viscaria and 98% has Hurricane 3. Most have Tenergy on BH but a few has Xiom as well.

Tony's Table Tennis
08-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Regarding rubbers and blades, I'd say around 50% of the resident players has Viscaria and 98% has Hurricane 3. Most have Tenergy on BH but a few has Xiom as well.

What would you say is the average age of the players there, or maybe put specific % to the different age groups
And how many people is there now

ZED
08-09-2014, 03:27 PM
What is the everyday schedule they have?

Tony's Table Tennis
08-10-2014, 09:49 AM
What is the everyday schedule they have?

Basic schedule

Morning Session: 08:30 ~ 11:20
Afternoon Session: 14:50 ~ 17:20
Evening Session: 18:30 ~ 20:30

Train 2 sessions a day , while Sunday is only the morning session.

Mikael Berglund
08-10-2014, 02:25 PM
Right now the sessions are as follows due to the amount of people at the base
08:30 - 11:30
12:30 - 14:30 (reserved for the best players)
14:45 - 17:00
18:30 - 20:30 (reserved for the best players)

No practice on the Sundays I've been here.

The CNT together with the French national team practice different hours in the main hall.

Mikael Berglund
08-10-2014, 02:29 PM
I don't really know the age groups, some are perhaps 13 and some are 19 to 20 years old. But we don't see all the players all the time. Some new people (perhaps the second national team) was playing against the French guys. Regardless, the westerners are not winning many matches around here :o

thethundertt
08-21-2014, 08:36 AM
Wow your there for 2 months? That's a fantastic effort! I am sure you are improving so much! It's like your going into some sort of time continuum. Training there for 2 months in China is equivalent to 2 years at home :)

Xu Xin is there? That is cool! The French team, is that the first team? It's good to see they train with China pro's like Xu Xin.
Almost done now. got another 10 days of training body is truly knackered taking more and more rests now still training >25 hours a week and the french squad excluding a couple of the biggest names still all top 200 players.

thethundertt
08-21-2014, 08:38 AM
I think it will be great but when you come back you will be very tired and after two weeks you will be able to play your best tt
I have a tournament the day after I arrive back in London not expecting to be at my best at all will be interesting to see how long it takes me to adapt back to English TT.

thethundertt
08-21-2014, 08:40 AM
What rubbers and blade are you using?
Innerforce zfl with tenergy 05 both sides

thethundertt
08-29-2014, 06:11 AM
Last day training tomorrow, been here long time feels like forever since I was in England. Took a lot of planning and preparation but despite the heavy doubts of myself and others whether I could manage here I have made it through. I feel I have improved significantly by managing to compete more and more with the Chinese players, have to see how much difference there is in my game in UK as the styles vary greatly. I have met many people from each corner of the globe, some who I intend in staying in contact with.
I would recommend the zhengding training base to any player of all levels that wants to improve there game. The coaches aren't always the most helpful but if you want help they will provide it also the site food is very repetitive and awful but you get used to it.

rafayoga
08-29-2014, 03:48 PM
Wow this is a dream hum? I tink yu will be improve a lot yout techniques. Post vídeos please

thethundertt
08-30-2014, 02:28 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7yqJJvLEu5c
Will put some more videos in when I'm in UK with better internet

strangeloop
08-31-2014, 08:36 AM
Oh.. Nice!

You are the first guy to do multiball for "Behind the back" shot.. Getting ready for the next TTD competition? ;) :)

yogi_bear
08-31-2014, 03:13 PM
you have good upper body movement but i seem to notice that your feet are flat on the floor making your lateral movement looking like you are encumbered?

thethundertt
08-31-2014, 03:56 PM
Oh.. Nice!

You are the first guy to do multiball for "Behind the back" shot.. Getting ready for the next TTD competition? ;) :)
Yes haha it was the only shot of mine better then the Chinese hopefully I will be able to use it in match play within the next year ;-)

thethundertt
08-31-2014, 04:00 PM
you have good upper body movement but i seem to notice that your feet are flat on the floor making your lateral movement looking like you are encumbered? yes thanks, youre not the first to notice I have many bad habits still China cannot cure everything I have a history in tennis so my lower body is very solid I am trying to improve this but a very long term plan is required I think :)

Christine97
12-27-2014, 11:42 PM
Nice trip, I also want to travel to China some day, it seems a great country to me!

thethundertt
12-27-2014, 11:54 PM
Nice trip, I also want to travel to China some day, it seems a great country to me!
It great don't hesitate

TT4Life
08-02-2015, 09:01 AM
Im planning to go to China the end of November of 2015 and stay for 1 month :) Same club you stay in . Just got email replied from Julie . Any recommends ? how and which train to take ? west or east room ? they mention a gym there also how about sauna room ? Thanks.

Mikael Berglund
08-04-2015, 07:27 PM
What is west or east room? Choose the building with the gym in it (the central building).
They can probably arrange a pickup from Zhengding train station. It is somewhat difficult to get there from Beijing airport, but I did it like this the last time:
Take the shuttle bus to Beijing west railway station
http://www.beijingchina.net.cn/beijing-airport/shuttle-bus-to-west-railway-station.html
From there take the bullet train to Zhengding Airport station
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/china-trains/beijing-guangzhou/
Please allow ample time for each connection, since the shuttle bus can be slow due to traffic.

You should double-check this with Julie.

Kind regards,
Mikael

TT4Life
08-05-2015, 07:46 AM
Thank you sir :) apparently they have some what new building now, East and West too. Yeah but i like to stay in the central building which has gym and sauna room.

leevittha
06-07-2017, 10:39 AM
Dear all
I plan to go on a holiday trip to Gui Lin China for a week.Is there any recommended table tennis stores there?Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk