Stiga Ebenholz vii + Magna tx + boost tc

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Firstly, I want to thank STIGA for giving me another chance to work with them again. Thank Stiga for believing me that I can do a even better review than the previous review. I know this review take a little longer than previous as I’m busy with school work as well. For you info, I review the STIGA Infinity VPS V Blade + STIGA Clippa & STIGA Calibra Tour M last time. This time, I have a completely new set of products from STIGA to review on. There are the STIGA Ebenholz VII, Magna TX II with also BOOST TC as well! I place the MAGNA TX II on the forehand and BOOST TC on the backhand.

From the first look, all 3 products look extremely cool and nice. Definitely excellent quality come from STIGA. The Ebenholz VII top surface is quite smooth. While the MAGNA TX II look that kind of non-tacky rubber, but definitely much more spinnier than you think. The BOOST TC is a middle tacky with a soft sponge.

From the other reviewers on the web, I have studied a bit on all 3 products. As 2 of them are quite new, no really a lot of comments are on the web. Most people do not dare to use the Ebenholz VII as it is rumor to be too fast to be control well. The Magna TX II being a long range and used for mainly Spin while BOOST is for the Speed wise.

Now, I will tell everyone what I will be testing on the blade and rubber, their combination and their pros and cons,etc.

The most focus point on the Magna TX II will be the trajectory, the spin, the speed and as well for the throw angle. The most focus point on the BOOST TC will be the Speed, the Sponge Hardness, throw angle and as well as the spin, For the blade, it’ll the blade weight, hardness and as well the Combination suitability for what kind of rubbers.*

Okay, let me introduce my playing style: I am a right-hand Penholder, with more of fast attacking near table and looping style. I rarely use the reverse backhand, but I am increasing the using of it.* My serves are usually side spin with combination of backspin, abit like Wang Hao’s serve, and it usually goes to the middle/far table. As for service return, as a penholder, it is normally a push or flick. Forehand wise, I attack the wings of the table. I will use fast attack when near table while looping more when I get further away from the table.

Once again STIGA’s technicians have shown their expert skills and workmanship in creating this 7-ply masterpiece, the Ebenholz NCT VII. Special hand selected high quality wood plies of different hardness are combined, along with a secret ingredient – all to ensure precision, power, control, and most of all, enjoyment when you head out to the table. Because of its extreme speed and stiff- ness, this Ebenholz NCT VII is the answer for players who want to achieve optimum acceleration without speed glue. It’s not really heavy *for me as I am used to heavier blades. The craftsmanship is excellent and the texture feels great. The blade is stiff and I mean stiffer than Rosewood XO. For me, this blade feels quite great when close to table, which is quite my style of playing. The opponent cannot really return the ball well. As I get further away from the table, I think this is where the blade really excel in. As I play fast attack, with fast hits, and seldom looping. This blade is more of an offensive blade with fast offensive attack. As said, attack is the best defence. With this blade, you can do not worry about defending as your attack will be a problem for your opponent already.This blade suit all kind of rubbers, but I think that mid-soft sponge rubber suit the blade the best.

For the forehand rubber, which I put the STIGA Magna TX II, I feel that the combination between this rubber and blade is excellent. The weight of this rubber is also not feather-light, but still good enough for Fast-attack near the table. The throw angle is low, but is not very low. Near table attacks easily pass the net, while getting further, you will have to adjust the angle abit, but once you get used to it, this rubber is easy to use and also deadly to the opponent. For the spin wise, I can say I really like this rubber as the spin is excellent as well. For those who have been using reversed pimple rubber, I think this rubber will have a wow effect on you.

*For the backhand rubber, which I put the STIGA Boost TC, I can say that this rubber is good. I prefer the STIGA BOOST TC more than the other BOOST Series. This rubber not only have the control but also the trajectory.* Why do I say this rubber suit my backhand? Cause I use the traditional Backhand to push when near table, but as I step back, I’ll start to use the reverse backhand. This rubber ensure that the ball will land onto the opponent table with great speed and spin. But I say first, this rubber cannot give u very short balls that is near the net. But if you are a looper or like me a Near table fast-attack player, this rubber will be the best for you. No matter if it is you put it on the forehand or the backhand, this rubber is a great combination of all 3 qualities of speed, spin and most importantly control. I would not say it has the fastest speed nor the spinniest spin, but I would say that the amount of control is definitely excellent, plus the addition of good speed and spin, it is more than sufficient to kill of your opponent with either fast shot or topspin. Plus the weight is light, comfortable for both Forehand and Backhand. The throw angle wise is also somewhere in the middle, you will find that you will play comfortably with this rubber. I recommend this rubber to all players who want to have excellent control with also excellent spin and speed. This rubber will give a “whole new world” feeling.

I play a friendly match with my friends, with 7 sets each( 4 friends in total) and won 2 matches, and lost 2 of them.* For the match I won, the score is as such:

Vs Player 1: 4-3

( 11:6 , 8:11 , 12:10 , 11: 5, 3:11, 8:11, 12:10)

Vs Player 2: 4-2

(11:6 , 11:9 , 11:5 , 4:11 ,8:11, 11:9)

While the 2 games that I lost:

Vs Player 3: 2-4

( 7:11 , 11:5, 4:11, 8:11, 11:8, 7:11)

Vs Player 4: 1-4

(5:11, 8:11, 4:11, 11:7, 10:12)

These are some comments from the players:

Player 1: “ Your(my) receive is good and cause problem for my(his) 3rd ball attack.”

Player 2: “ Easy to receive my service and speed is very fast(forehand).”

Player 3: “ You(I) start to lose points when looping, but when you(I) fast attack near the table, i(him) could only defend by returning high ball and wait for chance to counter-attack.”

Player 4: “ Service(mine) is hard to receive, but once you(I) get further away from the table for Mid-table looping, your(my) error percentage become higher.”

-STIGA Ebenholz VI: 9.5

Speed
Control
Stiffness
Hardness
Consistency

STIGA Magna TX II: 9.0

Speed
Spin
Control
Tackiness
Throw Angle