Poly balls

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
Can't remember where I read it but I did see that widespread availability to people who actually pay for them ( it'll never catch on ) is estimated for August. Personally it makes me laugh how amateurishly the manufacturers are handling this change, but at the same time it does make me angry that a ball which is supposed to be used in ITTF events from July is nowhere available in the retail trade six weeks before it is due to be adopted.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Poly balls will be approved for tournament play from 1 July 2014.
ITTF Approved Poly balls, or rather labeled ITTF 40+ Approved balls are already available in the market, but not approved for tournament usages yet.
Only certain world tournaments after 1 July 2014 will use poly balls - as listed and explained by ITTF.

Regarding supply, it will be in mass delivery from early June.

Besides those tournaments named by ITTF, national federation can decide which ITTF approved ball (40 or 40+ meaning cellu or poly ball) to use.
IE French and Chinese leage will use cellu ball. German league will use poly ball.

Now for the rest of us amateur players, there is no rush to move over - unless you want the new ball to practice because you are going to a poly ball tournament.
Until ITTF takes off the current cellu ball from the aprove ball list, there are perfect legal and will still be available for purchase and use.

All of the above information has been shared by ITTF few weeks ago already, and general knowledge
Suprised that lots of people didn't see it....

Other than that, I am the likely the first person in South Africa or Africa to have the poly balls - I got mine in Feb 2013.
Since then, many countries are already using them and some retails in Asia have already sold them.
Sadly the retail versions are mostly the defects so it will break easily or egg shape.
The better ones (limited) is given to juniors teams or provincial teams around China and Taiwan - thats as far as I know.
I personally feel that it will take lots of countries 1 to 2 years to migrate over.

Last edited:

JHB

Yes I know most if not all of that but why let the facts stand in the way of a jolly good moan ? Anyway so far as I can ascertain there is nowhere in the UK selling poly balls yet, not even Palio - unless of course someone here knows different. What I do know for an absolute certainty is that I will be trying to explain the significance of the "40+" marking to people at my regular TT gigs for at least the next year if not all eternity....... As Benny Hill used to say, "You no Rissen !!"

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
We will be reviewing Stiga's ITTF Approved Poly Ball very soon and will keep you posted.

Wow. This is a great place, an your recognition throughout the world allows us, the forum members, to get opportunities we would not otherwise get, like a review of the polyvalls for us. Thanks!

Reactions: Dan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Yes I know most if not all of that but why let the facts stand in the way of a jolly good moan ? Anyway so far as I can ascertain there is nowhere in the UK selling poly balls yet, not even Palio - unless of course someone here knows different. What I do know for an absolute certainty is that I will be trying to explain the significance of the "40+" marking to people at my regular TT gigs for at least the next year if not all eternity....... As Benny Hill used to say, "You no Rissen !!"

First you say, there is no facts so you moan
Now you say, so what about the facts, and you still moan

lol

Regarding why UK shops are not selling poly balls, maybe they don't have business dealings with the balls that are out already - which mostly are the Chinese brands, and as I said, so far it is limited. Mass delivery will only happen in June.
If come this time next month, and you still see nothing in UK, please few free to moan at them

And don't worry, 1 year is the normal speed for regular TT gigs to migrate, but hey, I still know lots of people playing 21 point game, and how many years has it been?

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Wow. This is a great place, an your recognition throughout the world allows us, the forum members, to get opportunities we would not otherwise get, like a review of the polyvalls for us. Thanks!

Thanks for the great comment @agold We try our very best! Stay tuned :) See you around.

Reactions: agold
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
We will be reviewing Stiga's ITTF Approved Poly Ball very soon and will keep you posted.

that will be lovely.

I wish you could review it using rubbers that were created for the poly ball eg the Airoc,Hurricane 8/3-50,Tinarc 5,Rasant powergrip as well as current rubbers like the Tenergy's,Calibra's,Mark V/Rakza's etc and make a comparison or tell us what you feel is different.

Administrator
Oct 2010
that will be lovely.

I wish you could review it using rubbers that were created for the poly ball eg the Airoc,Hurricane 8/3-50,Tinarc 5,Rasant powergrip as well as current rubbers like the Tenergy's,Calibra's,Mark V/Rakza's etc and make a comparison or tell us what you feel is different.

That's a fantastic idea! We will review the new Stiga ball with a variety of rubbers/blades.

Reactions: agold

JHB

Regarding why UK shops are not selling poly balls, maybe they don't have business dealings with the balls that are out already - which mostly are the Chinese brands, and as I said, so far it is limited. Mass delivery will only happen in June.
If come this time next month, and you still see nothing in UK, please few free to moan at them

And don't worry, 1 year is the normal speed for regular TT gigs to migrate, but hey, I still know lots of people playing 21 point game, and how many years has it been?

You can get both DHS and Double Fish here in UK if you know where to look. Sadly TT is not a "big" game in the UK so ( with one or two honourable exceptions ) most businesses selling equipment are fairly small concerns and can't afford to carry masses of stock, and nor are they likely to be favoured with early shipments - and of course we are "out of season" in Europe too. In fact since Tees Sport moved out of Central Middlesborough onto an industrial estate I don't think there is a single genuine retail TT outlet in the country - by which I mean there is nowhere that operates a "shop front" where you can just walk in off the street and buy TT gear, they are all mail order/internet order only. Come back Playrite Sports, all is forgiven !

Playing to 21 ? Tell me about it ! No-one at my regular sessions would dream of playing anything else, unless it is in a league match. In fact we still have plenty who serve from their fingers or throw the ball backwards onto the bat, and that was just as illegal 35 years ago when I was last playing regularly. I've also learned not to give the ball back to the server until I'm back in position at the table, as most people will serve immediately without looking up to see if you are ready. Or caring whether you are. I could go on, but I wont !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
In fact we still have plenty who serve from their fingers or throw the ball backwards onto the bat, and that was just as illegal 35 years ago when I was last playing regularly. I've also learned not to give the ball back to the server until I'm back in position at the table, as most people will serve immediately without looking up to see if you are ready. Or caring whether you are. I could go on, but I wont !

Whoa I don't fancy coming to your club!
I say 'win fair or not at all'.

says Aging is a killer
You are so right on this one

I've also learned not to give the ball back to the server until I'm back in position at the table, as most people will serve immediately without looking up to see if you are ready. Or caring whether you are.

Ha! Ha! Yes, I lose so many points on where when I wasn't ready. A couple of times, I didn't even have the bat in my hand.