Forehand / Backhand technique advice

This user has no status.
In general I think your pose is too high. Try bending your knees more and get your back a little lower. Also It looks like you're standing very close to the table which isn't the best thing to do in the basic stance you wanna have. If you drop your forearm only the outer part of your bat should hit the table.

For the forehand I think it's better if you extend your arm a little more and do the swing towards your forehead. That way you can produce more speed and spin for offensive shots. In the video I only see you doing flat shots which aren't all that great in opening up and controling the game.

On the backhand your stroke is very reliant on your wrist movement which means you won't produce the highest amount of speed if you want to attack. To play a good backhand topspin you will have to bring your elbow forward, maybe turn your body a bit so your shoulder faces the table. From that position you can play either slow spinny shots and fast spinny or flat shots so it's a good position for opening up the game offensively.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Drink a few pints, film a match vs a slightly better player, and show us the results where you win. We will be happy to analyze the details for you.

Take care of the easy stuff and keep plugging away. Get a good stance. Hit your BH a little closer to your body. Keep your bat up some moar. get down sum moar. Explode sum more for your power shots. Use less arm and more core body on your control shots. Get a coach that will tell you these things and take money. go on forums and show your results of conquering the field and walking off with big paycheck and the girlz. Wake up and realize it is an endless amount of work to be at the pinnacle, but accept the challenge and the fun of it to be continually improving.

Reactions: KAB71
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Drink a few pints, film a match vs a slightly better player, and show us the results where you win. We will be happy to analyze the details for you.

Take care of the easy stuff and keep plugging away. Get a good stance. Hit your BH a little closer to your body. Keep your bat up some moar. get down sum moar. Explode sum more for your power shots. Use less arm and more core body on your control shots. Get a coach that will tell you these things and take money. go on forums and show your results of conquering the field and walking off with big paycheck and the girlz. Wake up and realize it is an endless amount of work to be at the pinnacle, but accept the challenge and the fun of it to be continually improving.

Can I do that too? Haha ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
OK, I am no expert so please be gentle with me if I have this wrong. I should probably leave coaching comments to the coaches.

It seems to me that with both your forehand and your backhand you are rotating or turning your wrist over somewhat as you hit the shot and this is producing a slight slapping action to your shots. It almost looks like you are playing a kind of half flip type shot. I would suggest trying to keep the plane of the bat constant with no turning over of the wrist through the shot. Just brush the ball with an upwards saluting action up to your forehead. You should then get more top spin which will give more control. This will probably feel really weird to you if you do it right.

Take a look at this video...

Also I would say that on the forehand you should be moving and changing your foot position when you switch from hitting balls across the table to hitting them down the line. You seem to be changing direction by just altering your wrist/arm action, whereas I think this should stay as constant as possible, alter direction by changing the direction your feet and body are facing in.

Hope this makes sense and some real coaches can point it out if I am talking rubbish.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
OK, I am no expert so please be gentle with me if I have this wrong. I should probably leave coaching comments to the coaches. It seems to me that with both your forehand and your backhand you are rotating or turning your wrist over somewhat as you hit the shot and this is producing a slight slapping action to your shots. It almost looks like you are playing a kind of half flip type shot. I would suggest trying to keep the plane of the bat constant with no turning over of the wrist through the shot. Just brush the ball with an upwards saluting action up to your forehead. You should then get more top spin which will give more control. This will probably feel really weird to you if you do it right. Take a look at this video...
Also I would say that on the forehand you should be moving and changing your foot position when you switch from hitting balls across the table to hitting them down the line. You seem to be changing direction by just altering your wrist/arm action, whereas I think this should stay as constant as possible, alter direction by changing the direction your feet and body are facing in. Hope this makes sense and some real coaches can point it out if I am talking rubbish.
Thanks buddy. I think you're right as when I do a forehand shot I also seem to generate sidespin because I use my wrist a lot. I've tried to alter it but it does feel very strange.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
Also I think, slow that robot down. If you are going to try doing something different you will really need to concentrate on trying to do the new movement and this will take a lot of conscious thought and concentration. Hit 5 times fewer balls but give each one maximum concentration on making a new improved movement. You should also try to get some time with a good coach.

Good luck.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
This is great @Hawsegawa Submitting your training videos on here is a great where to learn and receive feedback.

Firstly, not many players record themselves, you have done this well. You will naturally learn so much through watching yourself. As you have already mentioned here you are aware you need to bend your knees more and learn slightly more forward after having watched yourself.

There have been a lot of good feedback here. One thing I would say is use this robot to practice your technique but try to practice with a human as much as you can and soak up a lot of match play. If you can submit videos of yourself doing this, a lot more greater feedback can be given to you as your play will be less isolated to critique.

Top stuff, I like your backhand you have good wrist movement there.

Reactions: Hawsegawa
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Okay, I think you got the basic points, the most important ones: knees more bent, weight more foreword. But you need to do a little something with your right arm (non-racket arm). I think your right elbow should be a little further out away from your body. This will help with using your hips and core when you are taking the stroke. Right now it looks like your right upper arm is being held so tight to your body that your right hand is almost in the way of your racket arm. So I would say to try to get the elbow a little out and the right arm relaxed.

Just a little out so the upper arm is not quite vertical:

timofore.jpg

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
One more piece of information. What does weight foreword mean? You stand in your ready position, you move your weight foreword enough so you start feeling more weight in the balls of your feet and your heels almost come off the ground or they come off a tiny bit. Then, every time you stroke, your feet move a bit as part of the stroke and your heels don't stay stuck on the ground.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Summary of advice :
1. Table tennis is a very fast sport , and if you play close to the table its unlikely that you will be able to switch sideways on both wings to execute you backhand and forehand. So your stance needs to be a little "front-on" rather than so much "Side on" , to use Cricket terminology.
2. Relax your shoulder. If you feel that you need to come down to the level of the table to execute your strokes, try not to do it by bending forward rather by flexing your knees. e.g. watch Zhang Jike's footwork you will know what I mean. if you bend your legs, you will get more core stability and balance and its easier to switch between forehand and backhand and also less chances of a back injury.
3. Always remember that in table tennis you have generate more power from your legs and waist and weight transfer. This helps in faster recovery. So when you are starting out, its advisable to not use your wrist ( particularly on the forehand ) . You can add it later when you feel your weight transfer is already grooved in.
4. on your backhand , your wrist is nice and loose which is a great thing. but try to take it closer to your body and hold your tension in your core muscles.
5. Another good habit to build in while starting out is to skip/hop a little with your legs after you complete each stroke.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawsegawa