The importance of legs?

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
Just have a question: How much legs are important?

I know stronger legs can help for better footwork but they have effects on the quality and power of shots or no?
For example i see Chinese guys to have better legs than so many players. Can it be one of the reasons why their shots are so powerful?

zhangjikeloop.jpg
Zhang Jike gets down on his legs to play a loop against Joo Sea Hyuk at 2011 WTTC

Also i will be thankful to know some ways to improve my legs power.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
If you rephrase or mean that the stronger leg can push more weight transfer into the shot, then the answer is yes, it will give more power to the shot.
Other than that, stronger leg does not equal more power, but a stronger league with good weight transfer is much better with weaker legs with good weight transfer

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
If you rephrase or mean that the stronger leg can push more weight transfer into the shot, then the answer is yes, it will give more power to the shot.
Other than that, stronger leg does not equal more power, but a stronger league with good weight transfer is much better with weaker legs with good weight transfer
Thanks for the reply.

I think stronger legs will make the player recover faster after the shot. Am i right?
Also do you know any tips to make my legs stronger?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
General knowledge question : Which is the biggest muscle in the human body ? Gluteus Maximus . Which is the strongest muscle in the human body ? Calf muscle .

So there goes your answer buddy :) .

But as Tony said, like all other sports, timing is important to transfer the power to your stroke. Its essentially a combination of hitting the sweet spot on your paddle with the correct angle and making sure you transfer your weight at the same time.

Squats and lunges and calves work out and lots of jump rope and agility drill and footwork drills to improve footwork , and u'll be amaze how much better and faster u can go after the ball :) and work your core and lower back and obliques. Core power its as much as important too, weight transfer, legs, hip, shoulders, arms into that one shot + lower center body= greatest power shot :) now do that with consistent everytime :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Also do you know any tips to make my legs stronger?

-eat plenty of banana :)
Run up and down a 20 floors hotel using stairs. You can hop using one leg or do lateral walking or do launges on your way from home goin to work and school. You can do stationary jumping while talking to friend. Alot if ways it depends on your creativity.
lol

Sent from my HTC One X+

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Depending on your technique recovery is partly from the legs, but predominantly from the hips/shoulders and size of your stroke. If you use a longer stroke and try to put 100% of your power into a shot your recovery will naturally be slower just because your stroke is longer than the shorter stroke. However if you put 50-70% of your power into a shot and your shoulders and hips are in sync with each other you can recover from those shots no problem and with more than enough time.

The legs help with balance and weight shift which is both important in providing power into a shot and recovering for the next shot.

If you want to work out on leg exercises check out some of these videos of a TT Personal Trainer:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Benj...-Trainer/546147952171883?hc_location=timeline

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Depending on your technique recovery is partly from the legs, but predominantly from the hips/shoulders and size of your stroke. If you use a longer stroke and try to put 100% of your power into a shot your recovery will naturally be slower just because your stroke is longer than the shorter stroke. However if you put 50-70% of your power into a shot and your shoulders and hips are in sync with each other you can recover from those shots no problem and with more than enough time.

The legs help with balance and weight shift which is both important in providing power into a shot and recovering for the next shot.

If you want to work out on leg exercises check out some of these videos of a TT Personal Trainer:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Benj...-Trainer/546147952171883?hc_location=timeline

Do you mean you put 100% into a shot if you are trying to hit a winner, and then as much% as you can recover quickly enough from if you think it will be counterhit—but your legs should always be at 100%?