Australia Open 2014 - ITTF World Tour

Who do you think will win the Australian Open 2014 - ITTF World Tour?

• Wong Chun Ting

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Zhan Jian

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Yang Zi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chen Feng

• Wu Zhikang

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • William Henzell

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Sakai Asuka

• Sambe Kohei

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Others

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
GAC Group 2014 ITTF World Tour, Ozcare Australia Open (Challenge),21 May 2014 - 25 May 2014, Sydney, Australia

This week will see 2 World Tour events, the Australia Open and the Croatian Open which are both Challenge Series.

Total number of entries so far is: 87

Main Draw

Men's Singles
Women's Singles
Men's Singles (Qual Groups)
Women's Singles (Qual Groups)

Live matches from the Australian Open can be watched in the ITTF Live Streaming which has playback on demand with integrated chat!

Hong Kong's Wong Chun Ting the World #37 has entered the Australian Open as the #1 seed.

wongchun2014.JPG

Wong Chun Ting no.1 seed - Photo by: hktta.org.hk

Men's Singles Seeds

williamhenzell2014.jpg

Host nation's William Henzell enters the tournament as the #6 seed - Photo by: HWT Image Library

01) Wong Chun Ting
02) Zhan Jian
03) Yang Zi
04) Chen Feng
05) Wu Zhikang
06) William Henzell (Host)
07) Sakai Asuka
08) Sambe Kohei

For full Men's entries click here.

Women Singles Seeds

fengtianweiqatar2014.jpg

Feng Tianwei enters the tournament as the #1 seed - Photo by: AFP/Thomas Samson

01) Feng Tianwei
02) Morizono Misaki
03) Ito Mima
04) Kato Miyu
05) Nanthana Komwong
06) Tashiro Saki
07) Sato Hitomi
08) Lay Jian Fang (Host)

For full Women's entries click here.

Live matches from the Australian Open can be watched in the ITTF Live Streaming which has playback on demand with integrated chat!

We can use this thread as a means to display all the latest results, videos and news from this spectacular World Tour event! What are your predictions from each event.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
May 21-15, 2014
Sydney, Australia

The 2014 Australia Open is a Challenge Series Event

Men's Singles http://www.ittf.com/ittf_tournaments/ittf_entries_web6.asp?Gender=M&Tour_ID=2423&Singles=1
1. Wong Chun Ting
2. Zhan Jian
3. Yang Zi
4. Chen Feng
5. Wu Zhikang
6. William Henzell (Host)
7. Sakai Asuka
8. Sambe Kohei

Women's Singles http://www.ittf.com/ittf_tournaments/ittf_entries_web6.asp?Gender=W&Tour_ID=2423&Singles=1
1. Feng Tianwei
2. Morizono Misaki
3. Ito Mima
4. Kato Miyu
5. Nanthana Komwong
6. Tashiro Saki
7. Sato Hitomi
8. Lay Jian Fang (Host)

Thanks! It must be easier with all the Chinese players busy with their league :)

EDIT: sorry about the first post :(

Last edited:
Reactions: pingpingpongpong
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Thanks! It must be easier with all the Chinese players busy with their league :)

EDIT: sorry about the first post :(

Not to worry, we edited some of your post just to spice it up a bit :) Thanks for creating it @agold.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Does Feng Tianwei play these events so she can qualify for the World Cup or World Tour Grand Finals?

Yes, it is possible
For grand final, min is 5 World tour events, and then the rest is by points

World cup is by world ranking

However these challenge series doesn't hold much points, but still counts as an event

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
Yes, it is possible
For grand final, min is 5 World tour events, and then the rest is by points

World cup is by world ranking

However these challenge series doesn't hold much points, but still counts as an event

Thanks for quick reply Tony. Yeah, I think the more World Tours gathered on various continents she will qualify for the Grand Finals.

Oh yeah, World Cup is by ranking. Thanks :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Thanks for quick reply Tony. Yeah, I think the more World Tours gathered on various continents she will qualify for the Grand Finals.

Your welcome :)

The continental rule has fallen away (still there for U21)

There is a chance that she is there for both singles and doubles, but after the qualifing min participation, its all about points, and I think she should have enough - as long as she continues going through to round of 16 all the time.

In directly, it will help the world cup too :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012

I think the world cup is based from the results of the continental cups... So for Feng Tianwei, her performance in the Asian Cup was crucial... She finished 6th; so I think the world cup is still accessible for her. :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
So sad that WCT once again failed to move any further. This is his best chance to capture a title as number 1 seed. Somehow I think he start losing more after changing his FH rubber to Tenergy and Intensity NCT. May be it is a good time to reconsider his equipment and technique.

The game of Yang Zi and Sakai goes marathon and can't name a winner until the very last seconds. Great game of this tour that should not be missed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
So sad that WCT once again failed to move any further. This is his best chance to capture a title as number 1 seed. Somehow I think he start losing more after changing his FH rubber to Tenergy and Intensity NCT. May be it is a good time to reconsider his equipment and technique.

Indeed, indeed. Perhaps it is really not the destiny of the top seed to take the title, except for Feng Tianwei. Poor Zhan Jian, two consecutive runner-ups. I think Wong Chun Ting still lacks some mental composure in tight moments. When he got his services at 9-all, he still preferred to safely serve short to invite the backhand flick from Henzell; in my opinion, a long serve would be more advantageous for Wong, as he is a penhold player. And I think he relies too much on the backhand return, his opponent tend to find the rhythm of it, even though Wong's return is really agressive imo.