What's a Kicker serve?!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Hi Dan,

Wow! Awesomeness, you run some great resources for TT.

I posted this on your Youtube channel, but I keep hearing about kicker serves on Eurosport and can't find anything on google. :confused:

So as the title says my question is what's a kicker serve?'

I'm presuming it's a topspin that kicks forward?

Cheers,

Shaun

This user has no status.
C

This user has no status.
i never heard that term used but i guess just a heavy topspin serve

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Yeh its a heavy top spin serve that kicks as it bounces.. A good example.. one of the best kicker servers is probably Gavin Rumgay, Youtube him and watch some of his topspin serve. They kick.. i have played him on an occasion and it kicked over my bat as i was about to flick it!! or you top edge it and completely miss your rubber... hope this helps :)

Dan

BTW thanks for the positive comments about my content and site... i hope you like the chat box on the main forum screen. Its a new feature :)

This user has no status.
C

This user has no status.
ye i like it but its annoying not showing your text of what u typed

says 2010/11 British League Premier Division Champions &...
says 2010/11 British League Premier Division Champions &...
Jan 2011
Gavin now play in the highest league in Sweden, I think stats are like 0-5 or something

Gavin has put up his Swedish results on his website, not sure how up to date they are. Looks like he pushed Jon Persson close, but like you say he hasn't won any.

He does say that he won 23/33 when playing for Immo Mortsel last season in the Belgian league (his team got to the final of the Belgian Super-League).

This user has no status.
C

This user has no status.
how much games did he win in Belgian league?

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews

jkc

says You sent me the following PM which you didn't ask for a...

jkc

Nov 2010
A kicker tends to be a topspin serve which is done with a backspin type action. Players who get the most deception from this serve tend to hide the slight lift of the bat on contact (which gives the topspin) behind their shoulder. The ETTA have a vid of Gavin Evans doing this serve with slow-mo which I have seen on a coaching course. Quite a few Drumchapel players use this serve a lot which I suspect they have learned from Gavin Rumgay.

jkc

jkc

Nov 2010
To me, the kicker serve is done with more of a tomahawk action. The one in the vid will no doubt kick, but the true kicker is served with a backspin action and it is this deception as much as the topspin which causes the problems.

says Photino rocks xD
says Photino rocks xD
Nov 2010
IMo a kicker serve is a good mixture of all the spins but mostly side and top. itll seem slow at first which makes it look like backspin then itll kick and speed up rapidly

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
To me, the kicker serve is done with more of a tomahawk action. The one in the vid will no doubt kick, but the true kicker is served with a backspin action and it is this deception as much as the topspin which causes the problems.

Very true, there needs to be deception to produce a good kicker serve,, just this vieo demonstrates the action to make a kicker serve from the backhand side doing a forehand serve.. If kong Lingqui does this serve, then brings his bat down straight away under the table it would be a lot more deceptive

jkc

jkc

Nov 2010
ITTF TV Polish open Womens doubles final 10:28 and 31:08 are good examples.