Shrinking Rubber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
Fixed a new Tenergy 05FX rubber on my backhand the other week. Only the second rubber I have ever done myself but followed the same routine I used for the first on the forehand which is also 05FX. Cut it to the edge of the Bat as normal. Went and played with it that night and put back in the case in my bag. Went to practice 3 days later and got my bat out. Wooah new backhand rubber had shrink back by about 4mm from the edge of the bat.

Is this a common thing folks? Kind of annoying to spend out on an expensive new rubber and have it do this.
(seems I will have to take it off again and move it up the bat)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Fixed a new Tenergy 05FX rubber on my backhand the other week. Only the second rubber I have ever done myself but followed the same routine I used for the first on the forehand which is also 05FX. Cut it to the edge of the Bat as normal. Went and played with it that night and put back in the case in my bag. Went to practice 3 days later and got my bat out. Wooah new backhand rubber had shrink back by about 4mm from the edge of the bat.

Is this a common thing folks? Kind of annoying to spend out on an expensive new rubber and have it do this.

learn learn .. next time cut it 4 mm longer than the edge of the bat :p ... just kidding ... this has never happened to me, but I have always taken help from my coaches or pros to fix my rubbers onto my blade and they normally use a press for 15-20 minutes after rolling the rubber .. did you use a press ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
No I didn't use a press.
I put the freechack on the rubber and the blade. Used a hair drier (very gently, not fierce or long) to help turn the glue clear. Placed the rubber onto the blade and rolled with medium pressure. After about 20 mins I then trimmed to size with scissors and applied edging tape.
Pretty much exact same process I used for the red rubber a while back.
It was a perfect fit well glued to the blade.
It seems odd that if there is some issue (a) it should seem to vary from one rubber/colour to another of the same type and (b) there is no warning or guidance about it provided by the manufacturer. Perhaps I should write to Butterfly and they might give me a complementary replacement ?:p

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Sometimes if you roll it on to the bat when you glue it stretches the rubber. Then the rubber shrinks if it has been tensioned onto the bat. It could be that. 4mm sounds like a lot though.

I have never had this problem with any rubber but I agree with Carl here it could be due to pressing to much tension when rolling the rubber on. Otherwise I have no idea how this was caused.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
why not ? give it a try man !
No I didn't use a press.
I put the freechack on the rubber and the blade. Used a hair drier (very gently, not fierce or long) to help turn the glue clear. Placed the rubber onto the blade and rolled with medium pressure. After about 20 mins I then trimmed to size with scissors and applied edging tape.
Pretty much exact same process I used for the red rubber a while back.
It was a perfect fit well glued to the blade.
It seems odd that if there is some issue (a) it should seem to vary from one rubber/colour to another of the same type and (b) there is no warning or guidance about it provided by the manufacturer. Perhaps I should write to Butterfly and they might give me a complementary replacement ?:p

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
Maybe it's due to the hair dryer, because the heat expands the rubber, and then after you've cut it, played with it and put it away, it goes back to it's normal size.. I normally just put glue on, and wait about 5 minutes before I fix the rubber to the blade, no problems :)

Used to play Tenergy before I switched to Andro, never had any shrinking problems, maybe that it shrunk a little if I boosted the rubbers, but not with just regular glue.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Some rubber might shrink abit. I got my victas shrinked too when i tried to reglue. I believe pressing with roller wont cause it shrink too much as ny rubber shrink like more than 5mm.

In the end i had to use baby oil to expand it

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I used T05 for a year or two on FH, changed it new every month. After a week, T05 would be at least 2-3 mm shrunken. I ever heard of T05 shrinking 4 mm in a day or two, but if it was off the blade a while and you rolled it on before everything was completely dried, it might shrink a little faster.

All the modern rubbers I have used shrink, but T05 is like 4X more shrinking and shrinks a lot faster.

Three things I would say to help this out are...

1) cut it so it overlaps 2 mm.

2) use WIDE edge tape that covers even the pimples up to the edge of where they meet the topsheet. This stops a some or at least slows down the escape of the tuning gasses that seem to shrink T05

3) let both glues completely dry and use only forearm to roll/press rubber onto blade

The last couple weeks with T05 I would have to take it off and reglue it back on each week. That sounds inconvenient, but when you are waiting for a table and drinking a beer in the back smoking hallway table with the other guys, gluing on a rubber and munching some peanuts are a good way to kill some time until the tables free up...

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Points 1,2,3 are optional, but the last few lines are mandatory to prevent shrinking :p . Especially the drinking beer part :D . Just wanted to make sure you get your priorities right while trying to prevent further shrinking , ha ha .
The last couple weeks with T05 I would have to take it off and reglue it back on each week. That sounds inconvenient, but when you are waiting for a table and drinking a beer in the back smoking hallway table with the other guys, gluing on a rubber and munching some peanuts are a good way to kill some time until the tables free up...

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The German club I visited had a player go fetch food and some beers to share with everyone at MIDNIGHT when they were cleaning up the gym to close it fro the night. Man, it was a good time in my adopted hometown that night, and I didn't even drink any beer, I had a new car in te parking lot. Save the beers for when I walk or bike ride to club.

Serious though, when you are waiting for a table to open up, regluing a rubber you need to do and munching/hydration tasks anywayz.

Reactions: ttmonster
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews

Hi,

Here is the rule of thumb, which I followed successfully for these kind of rubbers. After sticking the rubber to the blade do not go ahead with cutting immediately. I let this rest under heavy books for atleast 4-6 hours before cutting the rubber. So it sometimes takes me 1 day or more to assemble a setup. Try it, next time you change your rubbers. This surely does work.

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
My 0.02p on this - do everything at room temperature and use patience instead of hairdriers. 15 minutes from applying the glue to putting the rubber on should be enough. As the previous poster implied, once you have applied the rubber shove the whole caboodle under a pile of heavy books for 20-30 minutes before you cut the rubber.

Many years ago I had a bat made up in a shop by an ex-international player. After he had applied the rubber he put the bat under half-a-dozen school register-type books and then topped it off with a couple of 25Kg weightlifting weights ! After 10 minutes of that the rubber was stuck fairly firmly, shall we say.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
It seem like about all the new rubbers will shrink when removed from the blade even H3 will. What I do is after I glue and stick rubber on blade I will put some weight (books or what ever) on it and let it set for a few hours. After I remove the weight I will let my rubber rest for at least a day before I cut it. That helps some of the time.