PDA

View Full Version : Backhand sidespin flick

XariuzCruz
05-28-2014, 03:02 PM
Hello there! Can anyone tell me exactly how to develop a backhand sidespin flick vs anticlockwise sidespin/clockwise sidespin/backspin? Because this shot is powerful enough to disturb my opponent.

Mr. RicharD
05-28-2014, 04:22 PM
Do you know how to flip the ball with just regular topspin? Because if you haven't learned to do this yet you shouldn't be worrying about a banana flip or sidespin flip which is much more advanced.

To do a BH Flip with just topspin rotate your forearm (for righthanders) counter clockwise which should make the racket head (top of racket) point back towards your stomach, Keep your elbow out and at 90 degrees and then rotate the forearm clockwise making sure to contact the ball at the top of it's bounce. You want to rotate the forearm quickly to produce enough racket speed to overpower your opponents spin.

XariuzCruz
05-28-2014, 11:29 PM
Hmm I'll try

Amayzde
05-29-2014, 07:25 AM
With the sidespin flick you dont hit the ball on the front but you hit it on the side. This makes the backspin less effective. but I havnt tried it yet

MDanielCRO
05-29-2014, 07:45 AM
There are some videos just search for it, everyone does it his own style

agold
05-29-2014, 11:27 AM
PingSkills has a good vid of it

Der_Echte
05-29-2014, 03:07 PM
Once you practice a little, banana flick is higher percentage, but not as troublesome to better players. The banana flick doesn't produce a lot of topspin or pace, it simply is a one way to safely receive the serve and make a little of an offensive shot. Often, just a little offensive is enough to win or set you up to win the point. At the least, it is a stronger option than simply pushing the ball back vs a powerful and consistent opponent. The regular flick is a lot more dynamic and troublesome, many more options heavy, medium, no-spin and any amount of pace, but reading spin to the letter is essential. With banana flick, reading the amount of spin isn't so critical, the timing of your sideswipe acceleration is the important piece. That takes a little practice, but you can handle many different spins with essentially the same shot.

ttmonster
05-29-2014, 03:17 PM
http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?1636-Zhang-Jike-Technique-Compilation-from-a-ZJK-fan

all that you want to know is here , just read through it patiently . It takes a while to develop the shot and then it takes some more to handle the next ball , mostly its footwork and timing. give or take a few .. say 3-6 months if you have somebody giving you good multiballs

agold
05-29-2014, 03:55 PM
Once you practice a little, banana flick is higher percentage, but not as troublesome to better players. The banana flick doesn't produce a lot of topspin or pace, it simply is a one way to safely receive the serve and make a little of an offensive shot. Often, just a little offensive is enough to win or set you up to win the point. At the least, it is a stronger option than simply pushing the ball back vs a powerful and consistent opponent. The regular flick is a lot more dynamic and troublesome, many more options heavy, medium, no-spin and any amount of pace, but reading spin to the letter is essential. With banana flick, reading the amount of spin isn't so critical, the timing of your sideswipe acceleration is the important piece. That takes a little practice, but you can handle many different spins with essentially the same shot.

Yes, but the banana flick is easier for me, because not as much spin must be produced. It is harder to do a down the line though.

Der_Echte
05-29-2014, 05:59 PM
I agree bananna flick is an easier and safer option to handle underspin serves once you learn teh timing of it. You do not have to be able to read the AMOUNT of underspin as well as you would vs a regular flick. That is why I think it is easier, but it takes some practice to learn the step in, arm position, wrist motion and timing of the stroke. Once learned well enough, I think it is an easier and safer way to make a positive shot vs an underspin serve.

XariuzCruz
05-30-2014, 12:00 AM
But I always make it into the net. DUHH

Der_Echte
05-30-2014, 01:25 AM
You are likely not opening blade to vertical or going to forward with the stroke making the spin bite on your rubber. banana flick impacts ball on perpendicular axis of spin so underspin doesn't bite at all.

bachikho
05-30-2014, 02:34 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXMdvgcjyT8

XariuzCruz
05-30-2014, 10:57 AM
You are likely not opening blade to vertical or going to forward with the stroke making the spin bite on your rubber. banana flick impacts ball on perpendicular axis of spin so underspin doesn't bite at all.
If I open it to vertical the ball flies out instead

agold
05-31-2014, 02:31 AM
If I open it to vertical the ball flies out instead

Practice multiball with varied spins to get the perfect bat angle and wrist rotation.

XariuzCruz
05-31-2014, 05:54 AM
Will the rubber affect the shot too? Because I'm using a soft and low throw rubber...

ttmonster
05-31-2014, 07:47 AM
has got nothing to do with your rubbers buddy, unless you are trying it with long pips or anti. I think there is already enough information provided here for you to understand the basics of this technique. Now if you want us to help you with where you are going wrong, you can post a video of yourself trying to do this shot from different angles.

Der_Echte
05-31-2014, 04:15 PM
Some rubbers are more sensitive to certain spins at certain different speeds more than others. We get that.

Still, the basics of the shot are the same. Position and timing are WAY more important a factor than if the rubber topsheet is hard of soft.

mahomedy13
05-31-2014, 06:17 PM
PingSkills has a good vid of it

yep-a good example to study and learn from.

but remember-everyone is different.

dont multiball until you get it right,multiball until you dont get it wrong-thats the answer.

XariuzCruz
06-01-2014, 01:00 AM
I want to do it like Zhang Jike's, but he seems like contact behind the ball...

akonebrahim
06-01-2014, 01:40 PM
yep-a good example to study and learn from.

but remember-everyone is different.

dont multiball until you get it right,multiball until you dont get it wrong-thats the answer.

those words of wisdom:)