How to become a ITTF coach

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
Due to the lack of Table Tennis clubs in my area(Durban),I was wondering how a person can become an ITTF coach of some sorts.

I did read something on the ITTF website,but was gibberish to me.

I was hoping someone can help me,especially someone from South Africa like Tony.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
ITTF certified coach - starts from level 1
Take part in a ITTF level 1 course (provided by Level 1 course conductor - there is a few in SA), and do the required hours and then you are certified etc

But that doesn't mean anything. The best coaches in the world don't have ITTF certification.
But if you like the certification, then get a course conductor, have the course registered, and do the hours - same rule in any country - under ITTF level 1/2/3 coaching course

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
ITTF certified coach - starts from level 1
Take part in a ITTF level 1 course (provided by Level 1 course conductor - there is a few in SA), and do the required hours and then you are certified etc

But that doesn't mean anything. The best coaches in the world don't have ITTF certification.
But if you like the certification, then get a course conductor, have the course registered, and do the hours - same rule in any country - under ITTF level 1/2/3 coaching course

Do you know of any in Durban?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
The list is available on ITTF website. I don't think any one is from Durban
You should try and get your provincial body to arrange it, or maybe do it privately and share the cost with all participants.

IE - fly in the conducter, order the manuals from ITTF, accomdation, venue etc, and say divide that cost by 20 people.
But you will need 3 full days to compete the basic course, and then you guys will need to fly in the conductor to do the 5 hours supervised hours at a later stage. This is after the 25 hours of unsupervised coaching - which should take max 1 to 3 months.

I'm waiting for my 5 hours - for 7-8 months now, of the 25 hours, i'm on maybe 300-400 hours now
So good luck with yours :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
SerialContCOUNTRYConductor NameConductor LevelCategoryYear ApprovedLanguages
1AFRICA SOUTH AFRICA Clement Meyer ITTF Level 1 - - - - - - International 2004 English - - -
2AFRICA TOGO Kaka Lawson ITTF Level 1 - ITTF Level 1 Trainer - PTT Level 1 - ITTF Level 2 - . - . - . International 2004 French - . - . - .
3AFRICA ALGERIA Karima Tellaa ITTF Level 1 - PTT Level 1 - . - . - . - . - . International 2007 Arabic - French - . - .
4AFRICA EGYPT Mohamed Gharib ITTF Level 1 - PTT Level 1 - ITTF Level 2 - . - . - . - . International 2009 Arabic - English - . - .
5AFRICA EGYPT Mohamed Rashad Sayed ITTF Level 1 - PTT Level 1 - . - . - . - . - . National Only 2010 Arabic - . - . - .
6AFRICA NIGERIA Bose Kaffo ITTF Level 1 - PTT Level 1 - . - . - . - . - . International 2010 English - . - . - .
7AFRICA EGYPT Ahmed Dawlatly ITTF Level 1 - PTT Level 1 - ITTF Level 1 Trainer - ITTF Level 2 - . - . - . International 2004 Arabic - English - . - .

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
There is over 20 level1 coaches in South Africa, but I think many of them are not active.
There are also many active that do not have level 1.

Level 1 is designed for someone who doesn't know TT at all, to coach TT, so dont expect too much of it.
Most of it is basically the Tops school program from Australia

I suggest you can buy yourself the ITTF Level 1 manual and self study it and coach from there.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
It's not that difficult, you just need organising skills to get the courses sorted or to attend them. There are ITTF coaching courses going on around the world frequently. I did ITTF Level 2 at the end of last year, it's handy to have as a certification but not really all that necessary, it depends where you plan to coach. I had the opportunity to do ITTF Level 3 but I declined as it's quite expensive ($1000USD for a coach foreign to the course host location) and also it focuses more on organisational planning and national coaching, didn't really interest me that much. At the end of the day nothing beats experience :)

Reactions: Dan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
It's not that difficult, you just need organising skills to get the courses sorted or to attend them. There are ITTF coaching courses going on around the world frequently. I did ITTF Level 2 at the end of last year, it's handy to have as a certification but not really all that necessary, it depends where you plan to coach. I had the opportunity to do ITTF Level 3 but I declined as it's quite expensive ($1000USD for a coach foreign to the course host location) and also it focuses more on organisational planning and national coaching, didn't really interest me that much. At the end of the day nothing beats experience :)

Yeah, same applies, does it make sense to fly around the world to do Level 1.
Hence I suggest OP to get a few guys together and rather fly in the course conductor - domestic one too.
If the only domestic course conductor is not able to do it, then they must fly in someone else from the continent.

But agree, not really necessary - unless you are applying for job in higher profile coaching.
For what OP wants to do, its not necessary to have it

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
That would be nice. Also it would give you more leverage if someone says you are doing an illegal serve or something :)

How can a coaching certificate provide more leverage on ITTF Laws of table tennis?
Do you have the 2 confused?

The coaching certificate does have a section for Laws of table tennis, but not to extreme like a umpires course would cover

Last edited: