Reverse Pendulum Serve Suggestions

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
Hi everyone. A relatively new serve for me. Could you give me suggestions on more spin and spin disguise and also general improvements and things that aren't so great? Thanks

If you still learning the basics of the serve,dont worry about disguise.when you perfect the serve, then learn the disguises.

Reactions: tan.theveteran
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Great Job Agold , its not an easy serve at all !! See if you can add body weight transfer like Zhang Jike/FZD does it will help you on two counts , more spin and getting into ready position faster ,also check out their serves minutely , I guess they are doing their backswing a little more sideways . One more recommendation, see if you can practice getting into ready position just after the serve, just helps makes the serve motion closer to match practice

Reactions: agold
says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
Feb 2013
Hi everyone. A relatively new serve for me. Could you give me suggestions on more spin and spin disguise and also general improvements and things that aren't so great? Thanks

Pretty good for begginer, I remember when I was your years, I couldn't make it anyway. Just keep practising, later you will be able to generate more spin with faster movement, It will come by itself don't worry. Practise is everything

Reactions: agold
Feb 2013
Pretty good for begginer, I remember when I was your years, I couldn't make it anyway. Just keep practising, later you will be able to generate more spin with faster movement, It will come by itself don't worry. Practise is everything
This is how I do it

Reactions: ZhangJikeTheBest
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
I see. This is very helpful. So you have
1. A more sudden movement
2. A quicker movement
3. Tons more wrist

I will work on that. Thanks a lot.

EDIT: looking again I realize the main difference which will help me a lot. The reason that I'm not serving quickly is that I don't want the ball in the net. If I open the bat more like you I can generate more spin

This user has no status.
Not trying to criticize here, but having just read a thread about illegal serves, i noticed both serves are illegal.

Daniel's hand is clearly hiding the ball contact, and i think agold does it too, though i can't be sure from that angle...

Now, it's none of my business to tell you guys how to serve, but i think, especially agold who is young and learning this serve now, should learn it the right (legal) way, and add any deception later on.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Not trying to criticize here, but having just read a thread about illegal serves, i noticed both serves are illegal.

Daniel's hand is clearly hiding the ball contact, and i think agold does it too, though i can't be sure from that angle...

Now, it's none of my business to tell you guys how to serve, but i think, especially agold who is young and learning this serve now, should learn it the right (legal) way, and add any deception later on.

Neither is illegal. The hand goes away or is not blocking the serve.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
My next version. I tried to incorporate the suggestions. I also copied your serve Daniel. @ttmonster I tried to do body transfer but it was hard I also really should be getting into position. I will do that in a future version.

I also added a toss that might be slightly illegal but not enough to call it.

More suggestions are appreciated! Thanks everyone for what you've given me so far.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
My illegal serve (I think). I just need to get my hand out faster
baje9e5a.jpg
uzetany4.jpg

I don't think the second one is illegal, although I'm not sure.

This user has no status.
serve.jpg

This looks a bit like the old times when everybody was serving under their arms! ;)

Anyway, back to topic, when i was trying to learn this serve, at some point i attempted to copy the movement of Zhang Jike (who?). I noticed he was lifting his elbow pretty high when performing this serve, and his arm at contact time was almost vertical. When i tried it myself, i found that i had better control, and it was easier to vary my spin (especially doing short side topspin serves).
You should try that, see how it works for you.

Here it is at 0:25

Reactions: ttmonster and agold
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Golden rule of table tennis : don't stiffen up , try to un-purse you lips :)
My next version. I tried to incorporate the suggestions. I also copied your serve Daniel. @ttmonster I tried to do body transfer but it was hard I also really should be getting into position. I will do that in a future version.

I also added a toss that might be slightly illegal but not enough to call it.

More suggestions are appreciated! Thanks everyone for what you've given me so far.