combination with H3, set-up

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
Gd evening everyone

After 2 yrs of injury healing, there is finally hope for me to return to the sport. However, Im not too sure what to make of from the equipment i've got. So it will be really useful if you guys can give me some of your thoughts. :eek:

I was playing competitively at a local division 3 level. It should you some idea about where im at (well, roughly). The followings are what I have at the moment:

1. TimoBoll ZLF (82g)
  2. Juic Hinoki Carbon III (82g)
    (Note from my shop: This blade has very similar construction and feel/performance compared to the Butterfly Schlager Carbon, except that the blade is slightly thinner and is a little slower (OFF compared OFF+). It's fast blade and the outer hinoki layers give the blade a much softer feel than the most carbon blades.)
  3. Old non-neo Hurricane 3 Provincial
  4. T80
  5. R7
  6. TRF Rubber booster

Firstly forehand, I know that T80 probably goes rather well with the TB ZLF, however i dont wanna get into that until i tried the hurricane first (not to mention the cost...as we all know). I have used Neo hurricane3 before (both commercial and provincial) and they were good. However i was using it on a rather heavy (95g rosewood5...which contributed to me injury) blade, and this time as i come back, i wont be using it. In stead, Im thinking about using the non-neo old provincial H3 (which i bought recently from Hong Kong) on the two blades i got up there.

Can someone share their thoughts here with me? Should i be using the non-neo old provincial H3 on the TimoBollZLF, or the Juic Hinoki Carbon III blade? If necessary, I could use my TRF rubber booster to soften/boost up the rubber. I could even buy a better, long term, booster from my shop (effect last about 3 months). But either way, U have the idea.

I have heard some saying that Hurricane dont really work with fiber blades like ZLF/ALC/ZLC/etc etc....im just not sure

Then, for backhand, im probably using either R7 or T80. And I dont think there is much to it.

Please share your thoughts:D

Bests from Australia;)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Hi,

I'm also using H3 Prov. on my Viscaria.

The questions are:
1. What is you playing style, eg: near the table or half distance, loop or drive?
2. What is the hardness degree of your H3P; 39, 40 or 41?

You have to boost the rubber, the amount depend on the sponge hardness.
I would suggest you to get Haifu Seamoon or Falco Tempo Long Booster.

I have a very good combo at the moment: Viscaria (ALC) with H3 Prov. 39 boosted with Haifu Seamoon(2 layers) and T80 as BH rubber.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I got a friend in our Korea Foreign TTC who uses Korbel blade and H3 (old untuned) on FH and plays city Div 0. Yes, that means he is too good for the USATT 2100-2200 level Div 1 city aces.

Another of our KFTTC aces used to play city Div -1 (MINUS ONE) which means he was too good for the USATT 2250-2300 Div 0 city ringers. He for his first year or so in Korea used a Timo Boll Tri-Carbon with T05.

My point is do not worry overly what you are using because as you use it, you will know if it is right for you or not. Just slap the stuff on, go to the club and you will know soon enough.

Yup, it is sure fun to try out a lot of stuff, so go for that too if you can, preferable with other mates' bats or stuff you can get for free.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
they are either 39 or 40, will need to double check.
I loop but but all the time, but i m def. not a driver. i like some control over the table, especially when i can FH flick or BH flick.
So ZLF with H3 is fine u think? zlf and alc are close i suppose , but zlf is def. slower

Hi,

I'm also using H3 Prov. on my Viscaria.

The questions are:
1. What is you playing style, eg: near the table or half distance, loop or drive?
2. What is the hardness degree of your H3P; 39, 40 or 41?

You have to boost the rubber, the amount depend on the sponge hardness.
I would suggest you to get Haifu Seamoon or Falco Tempo Long Booster.

I have a very good combo at the moment: Viscaria (ALC) with H3 Prov. 39 boosted with Haifu Seamoon(2 layers) and T80 as BH rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
they are either 39 or 40, will need to double check.
I loop but but all the time, but i m def. not a driver. i like some control over the table, especially when i can FH flick or BH flick.
So ZLF with H3 is fine u think? zlf and alc are close i suppose , but zlf is def. slower

Hi,
One still can play with H3 and carbon blades with the proper technique.

H3 is more for driving style not looping.
Means: you should have the chinese style (more brush and FORWARD movement with whole arm) rather than european style (upwards movement).

Also for DEF play, I wouldn't advising you using this rubber, since you need active movement everytime.

It's better to stay with butterfly Tenergy line or you can try DHS TG3 aka Skyline (NEO) with max. 39d, this rubber is more suitable for european style of play.

My friend, which has almost your playing style, has the same issue like you(he is using Bty LSW), and he can't use H3 even with heavily boosted H3 Nat.
It took him 1 month to realise this and then come back to Tenergy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
Hi,

Means: you should have the chinese style (more brush and FORWARD movement with whole arm) rather than european style (upwards movement).

Also for DEF play, I wouldn't advising you using this rubber, since you need active movement everytime.

It's better to stay with butterfly Tenergy line or you can try DHS TG3 aka Skyline (NEO) with max. 39d, this rubber is more suitable for european style of play.

My friend, which has almost your playing style, has the same issue like you(he is using Bty LSW), and he can't use H3 even with heavily boosted H3 Nat.
Well I need to disagree with you here. Hurricane 3 is really made for looping not driving. If you want driving go for Hurricane 2. It can be used on european style looping too. I don't think think he is a defensive player as he loop all the time, not chopping. For me he looks like an OFF player.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Well I need to disagree with you here. Hurricane 3 is really made for looping not driving. If you want driving go for Hurricane 2. It can be used on european style looping too. I don't think think he is a defensive player as he loop all the time, not chopping. For me he looks like an OFF player.

Hi,

please look at his statement here:

You mention about H2: this is a low throw rubber. A flexi blade is here a must, look at WLQ. He used wood only blade. Almost the CNT shakehand player use H3.

Maybe you should check the looping and driving definition!

Here is a very good example, watch carefully!
Which one is looping and which one is driving?
http://www.alphatabletennis.com/clips/06-09.html

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
sorry :) i meant def as in definitely
i dont play a defensive style
if anything im an arround/offensive
Hi,

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
sorry :) i meant def as in definitely
i dont play a defensive style
if anything im an arround/offensive

Sorry.

But my statement is still valid.

When you have european tehnique, I'd advise you to take another rubber.

Look for softer sponge.

Tenergy alternativ:
Tibhar has some good rubbers: Aurus for control play, and the Evolution series for more offensiv, but they are quite pricey.
Or XIOM Vega PRO.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
Im asian and i do have a asian style :) T80 on the forehand will be my last solution
I had used H3 in the past for a good long time....now just wondering how it would perform on different blades :)
Sorry.

But my statement is still valid.

When you have european tehnique, I'd advise you to take another rubber.

Look for softer sponge.

Tenergy alternativ:
Tibhar has some good rubbers: Aurus for control play, and the Evolution series for more offensiv, but they are quite pricey.
Or XIOM Vega PRO.