Can someone share tips for avoiding injuries?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Is there any particular injury you're concerned about?

Elbow's and knees seem to be quite common injuries.

Best advice I can give is to get to the gym and lift weights, the stronger an area is and the more supported by muscle it is, the less chance you'll get an injury. It also means muscles don't have to work as hard to move so won't be strained as much.

Also, don't push yourself too hard, if part of your body is hurting it's usually best to rest (with some exceptions).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
1) go to the gym to strengthen your legs and core (stomach + back)

2) technique is very important. you could have a nice forehand loop but if it relies mainly on the arm you could have elbow or shoulder problems. jerky movements could do damage to your back. look at ma long and how he seems to effortlessly rip his forehands. because he utilizes a very efficient technique there are no jerking movements and most of the power comes from big muscle groups (legs + core).

3) warm up prior to playing, stretch afterwards.

says Aging is a killer
Agree especially with Ezra
Develop your own set of exercises but; Before play (match or practice) do dynamic exercises similar to sprinters high knee stuff and shoulder swings and waist twists. Don't forget the wrist warm up. Keep the movement going during intervals, notice how high level players do that little jumpy thing between points, remember to flash the wrists.
Be wary of overdoing those multiball drills if you are not used to the exercise. Confine the big stretches to the end of the session.
For Heavens sake, if you feel a twinge in knee, wrist or back, Stop, and consider whether continuing the match or exercise you are playing is worth the risk of injury. Many many players develop wrist/knee/back problems because they feel that can play through the pain.
Lastly, for virtually every pro in any sport, the big skill is how to manage their injuries post 25yo. Ask any older pro and he will tell you that their big injury was caused by not obeying the signs to ease off.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
In the cold, you need to stretch even more. The warm ups help so much. I have already hurt my shoulder once having only played for a year and took a month off.

BUT, don't think about being nervous about an injury during a game. If you continue to play, you have to pretend you are one or else the placebo affect will lose your game. Play it safe, don't be worried.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
For Heavens sake, if you feel a twinge in knee, wrist or back, Stop, and consider whether continuing the match or exercise you are playing is worth the risk of injury. Many many players develop wrist/knee/back problems because they feel that can play through the pain.

yep. This happens to every sport. If you are hurt, stop. Michael maze played horribly vs Freitas in the EU cup because it was his first tournament back and he kept clutching his back.

He should have stopped, or just not thought about it. You cannot play while thinking about your injury. Stop or play on like normal.
ha4ymumy.jpg

Sorry my two posts are so similar. I felt a need to quote this one because my post went with it.