No spin in serves

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
I try to use a lot of spin in my serves,however no spin is generated by me when serving.

My opponents have noticed this,and have said that even though i do the motions correctly,i only get a little bit of spin.

Can anyone suggest a remedy for this?

Maybe a few youtube video links will help too.

Thanks

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
Probably not enough brushing, and thus the contact with the ball is too solid.

Stop trying to generate a lot of spin with your current serve motions, and concentrate instead on barely grazing the ball with the topsheet (and not the sponge!!!), making sure that the contact point is as far away from the handle as possible. Once you're able to do that consistently, start working on placement, length, speed. Then try to do the same only brush the ball faster. Then start varying the contact point with the ball on your bat - that will give you deception and ability to control the spin on the serve at will. Then add some pre-serve deceptive motions.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Probably not enough brushing, and thus the contact with the ball is too solid.

Stop trying to generate a lot of spin with your current serve motions, and concentrate instead on barely grazing the ball with the topsheet (and not the sponge!!!), making sure that the contact point is as far away from the handle as possible. Once you're able to do that consistently, start working on placement, length, speed. Then try to do the same only brush the ball faster. Then start varying the contact point with the ball on your bat - that will give you deception and ability to control the spin on the serve at will. Then add some pre-serve deceptive motions.

thanks.This should help.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I'd agree with agold, but typically no spin serves mean that your contacting the ball higher on the racket while heavy spin serves are contacted lower on the racket. Alternatively you could say the end line side of the racket will produce no spin serves while the net side of the racket contact will create heavier spins.

For the most part if you're not generating spin and you feel as though the contact point toward the center then there are two typical scenarios. The first is that you are either swinging too slowly and thus not generating as much spin as you would like or your swinging with too much downward force and bouncing the ball into the table. When you direct the ball into the table you'll decrease the amount of spin on a service. Think of it like skipping a rock on water you want stay low and throw the ball as parallel to the surface as possible to allow the ball to skip several times where as if you are standing up and use the same motion but are directing the rock more downwards you may skip the ball only once or not at all because all of the kinetic energy has been absorbed by the water (thus a larger splash or in your case serves with no spin).

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Likely not enough bat speed if the contact isn't solid. Real easy to tighten up when trying to make fast bat speed at impact. That greatly reduces bat speed and timing at impact. So many players do that when they are trying for extra. The trick is to stay loose, adjust grip, and make good timing with everything.

Of course the earlier suggestions could be the cause as well, since if you make too much solid contact you wont get the spin you want. One way to tell is to try to serve short. If your serves are going long, you are not grazing the ball enough and also likely not hitting 6 O'clock bottom of the ball at impact.

Many players' problems on serve are that they do not end up with enough bat speed. Something in their stroke is stopping them form making fast bat speed.

I do not worry about making the impact right near the end of the bat where it is moving the fastest. I will not be 100% consistent trying to do that, so I chicken out and go safe near middle. I still get plenty heavy spin when I want it.

Heck, Even Schlager will tell you (or was it Samsanov) he doesn't try to use the outer part of bat as it is too difficult to do that consistent in a match in the crunch.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Yup, it waz Schlager saying that, but it waz on hiz training DVD. He waz saying that while some can be consistent impacting the ball near the tip with high consistency, Schlager said he couldn't do that (consistently) so he relies on good ball feel, good wrist, and good bat speed (at impact).

Mr. RicharD's point is totally valid, physics do not lie, there is more tangential (and physical) bat speed near the tip of the bat, which of course gives the possibility of more spin. For most of us, we do not have the control (even with hundreds of hours of practice) to get high percentage timing impacting the ball at the tip with full arm/wrist speeds.

G-Man's suggestion of a Sharpie felt pen criss-cross is supplemented well by placing a towel on the other side where the ball will land.

Interestingly, in the vid where he is addressing the World Hopes crowd at his training center, Schlager explains how to make topspin serve from same arm slot and serve motion with a variation of last second bat angle and impact point, which is a LOT sneakier than most peoples' normal topspin serves.

Reactions: Rajah*
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I can get extreme spin or no spin from the same middle of bat impact point.

The trick (for me to make the no-spin variation) is to adjust hand pressure, acceleration, and impact point of ball (higher up behind the ball) with the same motion just before the accelerating follow through.

Listen to what Schlager says about what are the important factors of producing spin serves.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
That is the art of selling it. make the serve motion fast and smooth so it is difficult to tell where on swing plane you impacted the ball and how much you grazed it, if at all. Pro players stomp to muffle the impact sound to take away that clue (sound of impact).

I sometimes stomp during both bounces ;)