VOC Free vs Rubber Cement

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
i have a problem with the VOC free water based glues...it tends to shrink the sponge which will cause the top sheet to be detached from the sponge...this happened to my palio cj8000 BIOtech days after i played with it...i don't know how to glue it back, the worst, the top sheet cut size is already larger than the sponge and the sponge cut size is smaller than the face of any blade...

the topsheet is still usuable and i still want to use it...now i need to buy a sponge but don't know how to stick the topsheet..what glue should be used...i think cole uses rubber cement...how does VOC free water based and rubber cement differ?as to performance of the rubber?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
i have a problem with the VOC free water based glues...it tends to shrink the sponge which will cause the top sheet to be detached from the sponge...this happened to my palio cj8000 BIOtech days after i played with it...i don't know how to glue it back, the worst, the top sheet cut size is already larger than the sponge and the sponge cut size is smaller than the face of any blade...

the topsheet is still usuable and i still want to use it...now i need to buy a sponge but don't know how to stick the topsheet..what glue should be used...i think cole uses rubber cement...how does VOC free water based and rubber cement differ?as to performance of the rubber?

I do not know the answer, but colestt.com has a video on how to glue the top sheet to the sponge.

says Aging is a killer
The glue is not the problem

Some rubbers are worse than others when it comes to these shrinkage problems. It happens to both VOC and non-VOC glues.
You can try a number of methods to get around this.
1 Allow for a longer drying time for the glue, like 1 -2 hours depending on ambient conditions. Quickest solution.
2 Glue then place the bat in a press or under a book for about 24hrs..
3 When cutting allow for some shrinkage room. You can pen the outline of the blade onto the rubber before gluing. After gluing, you can cut to the shape. It's also useful for seeing how much the rubber was expanded by the glue.
You can also get a neater cut by putting a thick side-tape on the blade beforehand to use a cutting gauge like on this video