Looking for opinions on my current paddle set up

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
Hello,

I'm new to this forum so I just wanted to start off by introducing myself. My name is Eric and I am from London, Ontario, Canada. I have been playing table tennis recreationally for the past 6 years. I have never had any professional training. I've learned everything I know from friends and youtube videos. I consider myself intermediate level. I was in a recreational tournament a few ears ago and placed 3rd.

I recently decided to purchase new rubbers for my paddle. I have been using the Stiga Titanium premade paddle for around 3-4 years now. My rubbers were pretty much all worn off so it was time for me to replace them. I did a lot of research online and decided to go with a black DHS Hurricane 3 Neo rubber for my forehand and a Butterfly Sriver FX rubber for my backhand. I like to play an offensive game with a lot of forehand drives and loops. I figured the DHS Neo H3 would be a good rubber for this playing style. I chose the Sriver FX for my backhand because I was looking for something with more control. I chose Sriver FX instead of Sriver EL because the Titanium bat is quite stiff so I figured the softer sponge combined with the stiff bat would feel close to the Sriver EL. My reasoning for choosing black as my forehand is due to what I've read online about rubber manufacturing. From what I've read, certain chemicals go into black rubbers which make them more tackier then red rubbers. I figured that I could use the extra tackiness on my forehand side for better spin on my loops. I've had a hard time with my back hand drives and I was hoping that the Sriver FX would help improve my backhand but I'm still having some difficulty getting the ball to hit the table on my backhand drives. The rubber has definitely improved my backhand; however, not significantly where I am confident to perform a backhand drive on a regular basis. I keep going over the table by ~1-3 inches. I am very happy with my forehand; it's the best it has ever been. My friends have a really hard time returning my forehand loops and drives.

Based on hat I've mentioned above, are my rubber selections good? Should I be using different rubbers? Any suggestions would be great. I'll provide link to each of the rubbers. I purchased everything on ttnpp.com.

Unfortunately my butterfly Sriver FX shrunk a bit after gluing. I think I accidentally stretch it while rolling the rubber on. I wanted to try moving it up a bit but it's glued on really well and I don't want to damage the rubber by peeling it off. I figured the 2-4 mm loss at the top wouldn't really affect my game that much.

Edit: It won't let me post the links, so I'll have to do that after I have posted 5 times.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Hello,

I'm new to this forum so I just wanted to start off by introducing myself. My name is Eric and I am from London, Ontario, Canada. I have been playing table tennis recreationally for the past 6 years. I have never had any professional training. I've learned everything I know from friends and youtube videos. I consider myself intermediate level. I was in a recreational tournament a few ears ago and placed 3rd.

I recently decided to purchase new rubbers for my paddle. I have been using the Stiga Titanium premade paddle for around 3-4 years now. My rubbers were pretty much all worn off so it was time for me to replace them. I did a lot of research online and decided to go with a black DHS Hurricane 3 Neo rubber for my forehand and a Butterfly Sriver FX rubber for my backhand. I like to play an offensive game with a lot of forehand drives and loops. I figured the DHS Neo H3 would be a good rubber for this playing style. I chose the Sriver FX for my backhand because I was looking for something with more control. I chose Sriver FX instead of Sriver EL because the Titanium bat is quite stiff so I figured the softer sponge combined with the stiff bat would feel close to the Sriver EL. My reasoning for choosing black as my forehand is due to what I've read online about rubber manufacturing. From what I've read, certain chemicals go into black rubbers which make them more tackier then red rubbers. I figured that I could use the extra tackiness on my forehand side for better spin on my loops. I've had a hard time with my back hand drives and I was hoping that the Sriver FX would help improve my backhand but I'm still having some difficulty getting the ball to hit the table on my backhand drives. The rubber has definitely improved my backhand; however, not significantly where I am confident to perform a backhand drive on a regular basis. I keep going over the table by ~1-3 inches. I am very happy with my forehand; it's the best it has ever been. My friends have a really hard time returning my forehand loops and drives.

Based on hat I've mentioned above, are my rubber selections good? Should I be using different rubbers? Any suggestions would be great. I'll provide link to each of the rubbers. I purchased everything on ttnpp.com.

Unfortunately my butterfly Sriver FX shrunk a bit after gluing. I think I accidentally stretch it while rolling the rubber on. I wanted to try moving it up a bit but it's glued on really well and I don't want to damage the rubber by peeling it off. I figured the 2-4 mm loss at the top wouldn't really affect my game that much.

Edit: It won't let me post the links, so I'll have to do that after I have posted 5 times.

Congrats on the new rubbers and welcome to the forum. Although the H3 neo is great for most FH attacking styles, not so much for driving. If you drive a lot, maybe go for a tensor sponge or at least a softer one.

H3 neo will be great for you anyways, though. And you already got your setup, so why change already? It's a waste. Try it and change it if you don't like it for your next rubber.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Haha, due to major cracks in my two expensive main bats, I am using backup bats very similar to what the OP is using.

896 ALL+ or OFF- blade with a modern FH rubber and XP 2008 on BH. Another backup bat I use has a 3 yr old sheet of H3 on BH wing and I can do whatever with it... spin, loopdrive, flat hit, flick, whatever.

Just get another rubber, they do not cost an arm and a leg. You want a rubber that plays like Sriver, get XP 2008 for 1/4 the cost or less.

Medium speed blade, modern FH rubber and a control BH rubber is a formula approved by many pundits for a first serious bat.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
Congrats on the new rubbers and welcome to the forum. Although the H3 neo is great for most FH attacking styles, not so much for driving. If you drive a lot, maybe go for a tensor sponge or at least a softer one.

Aren't tensor sponges and soft sponges the complete opposite? What's the difference between the two? From what I've read online, the Sriver FX has a soft sponge, which is why I'm using it on my backhand for more control. The H3 Neo feels harder (tensor?) and the tackiness gives me a lot of spin. To be quite honest, I'm not really impressed with the Sriver FX rubber. Maybe I'm not good enough to be playing with it or maybe it's a fake rubber. I'm not sure how to tell if it's real or not. I'll definitely use these rubbers until they wear out, but I was looking for opinions for future rubbers. Which rubbers are good for backhand and have good spin, control, and power? If you don't recommend the H3 Neo, which rubber would you suggest for my forehand?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
Aren't tensor sponges and soft sponges the complete opposite? What's the difference between the two? From what I've read online, the Sriver FX has a soft sponge, which is why I'm using it on my backhand for more control. The H3 Neo feels harder (tensor?) and the tackiness gives me a lot of spin. To be quite honest, I'm not really impressed with the Sriver FX rubber. Maybe I'm not good enough to be playing with it or maybe it's a fake rubber. I'm not sure how to tell if it's real or not. I'll definitely use these rubbers until they wear out, but I was looking for opinions for future rubbers. Which rubbers are good for backhand and have good spin, control, and power? If you don't recommend the H3 Neo, which rubber would you suggest for my forehand?

Soft can be tensor.tensor just means there is tension in the sponge to give it a speed glue feel.H3 neo not a tensor.i suggest you try yasaka mark v soft as a bh rubber.you wont go wrong-excellent control,moderate speed,good spin.for fh there is a wide variety of good rubbers available.do you prefer hard sponge or soft?

welcome to ttd :)

if you like the h3 neo then stick with it, it is pretty hard to beat once you know how to use it. they are cheap unless you start down the provincial/national rubber path ... beware there be dragons ;)

backhand rubbers are something you will just have to try out, i used to use a tensor (coppa x3 silver) on my backhand and really hated it. after doing a lot of reading and comparisons i decided to try out galaxy moon pro, it works for me (control, spin and speed are great, the price doesn't burn a hole in my pocket too). that being said i would definitely say that you can't go wrong with der_echte's recommendation : dawei xp 2008 super power. it ticks all the right boxes for a beginner/intermediate rubber.

as an aside : the cheaper rubbers will allow you one thing that is worth more than anything : to spend money on coaching instead of equipment. this is super important as technique trumps equipment all the time. all that better equipment does is magnify your technique ... good technique with super expensive equipment will be awesome ... the same equipment with bad tehcnique will bite you hard. don't do what most people do : try to buy their way around developing solid technique, it never works.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
BW, Sriver is a very dead rubber that doesn't do anything extremely well better than anything out there. MANY players slap on a sheet of Sriver thinking they will have the power to dominate the world, but it just isn't so. Sriver needs speed glue to become a monster, don't expect much from it except CONTROL. Few rubber offer such control across a wide variety of shots. Sriver also works well on just about any blade out there.

For me personally, I do not sweat the inverted rubber I slap on BH. I perform equally well with XP 2008, H3, or any modern inverted rubber. $7 USD XP 2008 works for me just fine. I am not a beginning or intermediate player either. To be fair, my BH is pretty solid strong, both pace or spin when I choose. My FH is a lot pickier and a modern rubber Aurus works fine there on most blades. In fact, both rubbers are pretty predictable allround in nature and that is why I use both of them on every blade I test.

Ask forum member Brice if you want, he has seen what this $7 rubber does. It isn't for everyone as everyone wants something expensive, modern, and dressed-up sexy for BH wing.

I would say to not worry TOO MUCH about what rubber to use, just select one that is in the "proper" category for you (control or speed/spin) and go for it. Developing your strokes and game and understanding and fight is a LOT more profitable to you than fretting over the rubber. The rubber will not solve the issues, but a rubber of the appropriate category for what you wish to evolve into is essential to go with the training.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Hello Eric of london, comments above me are all good.. i shall add one thing since you had no proper training as you said.. i would suggest too that you may take proper learning from a coach..you see basic skills are very important.. it will serve as your foundation of knowledge and form in creating creative shots..

Proper form
Timing
Coordination of body
Decision making/self adjustment
Proper ball contact
Emotions

These are the very foundation as how we execute our skills. Knowing all this will give you an edge in understanding and analysing what you need in a game..

Equipments are just secondary factors..

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk