PDA

View Full Version : Xu Xin righthanded?

elrigo99
06-22-2014, 01:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5P25njgcYA&feature=kp

So, I found this video and I noticed that he does many things with the right hand like inserting the keycard or changing channel with the remote control, eating, applying the glue to the sponge. Could be just stupid little things but maybe he's really a righthanded and he has been trained to play with the left hand?

mahomedy13
06-22-2014, 01:46 PM
now why would he be a righty and play left handed?if a person was right handed and trained to play left handed,he will never be/reach his full potential.the natural ability combined with good training will always be better than the forced ability with training.

Alborz
06-22-2014, 01:56 PM
now why would he be a righty and play left handed?if a person was right handed and trained to play left handed,he will never be/reach his full potential.the natural ability combined with good training will always be better than the forced ability with training.
Don't know but Noshad Almiyan is right handed but plays with his left hand. He also switches his hands a lot.

darkky65
06-22-2014, 02:06 PM
my friend is a lefty and plays table tennis using his right. he tried playing with his left and did not like it idk why :D

Awen
06-22-2014, 02:24 PM
Could be ambidextrous or cross-dominate, where he does things like write, eat, etc with the right hand while doing other things like play table tennis with his left.

Gingeriffick
06-22-2014, 02:24 PM
In Baseball, it is actually pretty common to hit left handed but throw right handed. Sometimes it is because lefties have a slight advantage on right handed pitchers. Maybe it is the same thing?
my friend is a lefty and plays table tennis using his right. he tried playing with his left and did not like it idk why :D<br/>

I have a friend that is the same way. He eats left handed, plays table tennis left handed, throws right handed, writes right handed, etc. And he can't switch hands in each of these tasks!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

alexander.groh
06-22-2014, 02:40 PM
I have it same - I am lefthanded (I am writing whith my left hand, I am playing hockey with stick on the left, I eat with knife and fork conversely and so on), but I am playing table tennis in my right hand. I also throw with my right hand and I am playing football with my right leg. Why I have it too strange combined, I dont know- but it for me natural to do some thinks with that or those hand :D

dici
06-22-2014, 03:00 PM

Yes, XU Xin is right handed. But during his early period, when still was 7-9 years old, his coach found that his left hand is much more stronger and better than his right hand for TT. So he decided to train Xu Xin left hand instead.

In fact, there are many left handed people, who is better to use their right hand on certain stuff.

John18
06-22-2014, 03:08 PM
Yes, I think he is right-handed too. We can see him sign at the end of matches with his right hand.
In tennis, it's the same thing for Nadal. His coach told him to play with his left hand when he was young because it's a little "advantage" because there is less left handed players but he is a righty too.
I think Ding Ning signs with her right hand too and there are others left-handed chinese players who do the same.

Tommy16
06-22-2014, 04:41 PM
Rafa Nadal is right handed but his coach started to train him to play with his left hand becouse with left hand his two handed bh would become a much more effective. Quite good decision if you ask me;).

agold
06-23-2014, 01:29 AM
Great post and this is great information. I have found that playing with my left hand gives me an advantage and I play worse against lefties.

John18
06-23-2014, 12:49 PM
Another funny thing, in tennis again, Maria Sharapova (winner of the French Open) plays with her right hand in tennis but when sometimes we can see her play table tennis, she plays with her left hand. (I think she's naturally a lefty and only play tennis with her right hand)

Mr. RicharD
06-23-2014, 01:33 PM
It's actually recommended in sport science for athletes to practice with their non dominant hand to help visualize their technique and better understand the body mechanics. In Nadal's case he originally trained right handed because he was a righty, but they tested out his left hand and found that it was much better overall and more natural for him.

In Sharapova's situation it's very similar, her left hand is naturally better at forehands than her right hand was, but her right hand is naturally better at backhands than her left hand was.

agold
06-23-2014, 02:37 PM
In neuroscience scientists talk about the configuration of the brain and it's correlation with the dominant hand. A couple of years ago, some scientists concluded that you are either a righty or a non righty. If you do many things with your left hand, you may be farther on the spectrum to the left, but a righty has no opposite. This is why "lefties" do many more things with their right hand than righties do with their left. (This is still controversial)

I am a "lefty," but I bowl, play frisbee, play pool, etc with my right hand. It may not be that difficult for lefties to play TT right handed, like Sharapova, and we have indeed seen more of that in this thread. That would explain that

It is also controversial what makes a righty or a lefty. It may be the hand chosen or the stronger and more capable hand. Xu Xin may be a chosen righty although his left hand is stronger. Perhaps his coach noticed that, as was said above.

John18
06-23-2014, 04:16 PM
Yes, also everybody has a dominant eye (left or right) and it is believed, in tennis, that the interaction between the dominant eye and the hand which hold the racket favor the backhand or the forehand (Nadal's coach explain that in a report on him). For example, Nadal has a right dominant eye and play with left hand. Federe has a left dominant eye and play with his right hand. People with these features tend to have a big/good forehand. Others (left eye/left hand and right eye/right hand) have a better backhand.

Of course I'm not 100% sure it's always exact but there is some serious researches and it makes sense when we see examples (there is some simple tests to find your dominant eye, just search on internet).

However, I don't know if this is the same in TT because the swing of the arm is maybe a little bit less large.

Rajah*
06-23-2014, 04:31 PM
John18 what you found on the internet is correct.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

John18
06-23-2014, 04:47 PM
Ok,thank you for the confirmation.
Now I'm thinking about it, maybe Ma Long and Xu Xin are crossed (left/right , right/left) while Zhang Jike and Dima are parallel (right/right). ;)
(I'm joking but maybe it's really true !?)

perniciousnc
06-24-2014, 12:15 AM
give you guys some facts. i thought these were known, because you can see players signing the results using their writing hand. so im sure most players know this.

Xu Xin, Chen Qi, Hao Shuai (I am not that sure about hao shuai), Jun Mizutani all write with their right hands. There are many more, but these are the ones ontop of my mind. I believe in asian country, it used to be that people force their children to use their right hand (or maybe they never considered using their left.)

harveyaquino
06-24-2014, 01:17 AM
Two of my young nephews were taught to use their right hand for eating, writing, etc. even though they are left handed.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

TimoRon
06-24-2014, 06:46 AM
Well, I am right handed guy but eventually learned playing with my left hand and just sucks when trying with my right :)

TTjhonel04
06-24-2014, 09:01 AM
I am a Left handed but I play right hand... But I think I'm already close to reaching my full potential.... whats the difference if you were trained with your opposite hand rather than your normal/natural hand?

agold
06-24-2014, 01:19 PM
whats the difference if you were trained with your opposite hand rather than your normal/natural hand?

I think if one hand is stronger than the other, it has an advantage if you play with it. But of course it is very small, and many players lift weights with only the hand they play with which would balance it out and is very helpful.

asherd
06-24-2014, 08:48 PM
Rafael Nadal is right handed and plays with his left hand

tack_and_grip
06-25-2014, 06:23 AM
Not sure about XX, but Zhou Yu is righthanded.

tack_and_grip
06-25-2014, 06:24 AM
Not sure about XX, but Zhou Yu is righthanded.

He said he is righthanded, but he discovered one day when he was young that he could bounce the ball so much better with his left hand. That's how he started to play with his left hand.

tack_and_grip
06-25-2014, 06:26 AM
He said he is righthanded, but he discovered one day when he was young that he could bounce the ball so much better with his left hand. That's how he started to play with his left hand.

Source:
http://youtu.be/4b4nErGBYU4?t=5m20s (at 5m20s)

PS: Apologies for multiple posts. I can't include links before I have at least 5 posts.

Hamza Al Halabi
10-06-2019, 03:01 PM
this is totally incorrect as many people whom i know use their right hand in everything, yet while playing table tennis they use their left hand, it is actually possible and makes sense.plus, me too i am a right handed who uses left while playing and i am succeeding and getting better everyday. so reaching the full potential is possible.

wappak
10-07-2019, 07:55 AM
whoever teach xu xin to play with his left hand is a genius, he never thought xu xin would be one the greatest player someday

Simas
10-07-2019, 09:49 AM
whoever teach xu xin to play with his left hand is a genius, he never thought xu xin would be one the greatest player someday

maybe that was a secret masterplan by an evil coach genius? :D

this is totally incorrect as many people whom i know use their right hand in everything, yet while playing table tennis they use their left hand, it is actually possible and makes sense.plus, me too i am a right handed who uses left while playing and i am succeeding and getting better everyday. so reaching the full potential is possible.

That's an interesting topic.
Yes, playing left hand gives you an advantage, so it makes sense. But how did you manage to do that? Cause I think it's a lot harder to start learning to play with the "other" hand? Did you do that intentionally? How old were you when you started training?

p.s. that's an ancient topic by the way :)

balazs1234
10-07-2019, 07:14 PM
Never knew about this, thanks for sharing!

An0n
10-07-2019, 07:23 PM
It's not that uncommon I think. I know some darts players that use their non-dominant hand to play.

BeGo
10-09-2019, 11:24 AM
Cross handedness is much common than You might think, and often they are taught by society.

In muslim country, we are taught to eat with right hand and clean ourselves with left hand. :)

jedimasterplk
10-09-2019, 11:34 AM
Jun Mizutani is right handed.

fais
10-09-2019, 05:25 PM
Yes, XU Xin is right handed. But during his early period, when still was 7-9 years old, his coach found that his left hand is much more stronger and better than his right hand for TT. So he decided to train Xu Xin left hand instead.

In fact, there are many left handed people, who is better to use their right hand on certain stuff.

Funny, I've heard the same thing about Jun Mizutani. I wonder if its true for both, for one, or just one of those stories that spreads.