Yu Ziyang the new Fan Zhendong?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
So what does everyone think of this young 16 year old? Yu Ziyang won the Japan Open today but I am hearing a lot of different informations in the media such as he is a cheat, etc, etc. He is young and hungry to win!

You can see from the 3 minute period of the final. Yu Ziyang said the ball hit the edge of the table, but from video analysis we can see it clearly did not.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
He definetely cheated, look at his face expression after he knows that ball was out. Then he sees the referee on the left who hesitates to change the score and immediately he claims an edge ball, both referees were confused and yu ziyang took advantage of it. He is not the new fan zhendong, he plays smart but he is not so strong, lacks footwork compared to FZD at his 16 and his FH loop/attack is taking too long to execute (reminds me of chen qi a lot). He is also not consistent enough, personally I dont think we will see him at the top chinese team in the future, he is quite good for his age but I dont think he will make it to the top

Reactions: RyanLol
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Chaeting was only one point and i think he deserved to win.But that doesn't mean anyhting because for example masato winning the Japan Open and beating Chuang and chen chien an etc and now he lost to antoine hachard.Yu ziyang does not stand a chance against fan zhendong.fan zhendong is a lot better and was better at yu's age.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
I totally agree that this young gun is clearly not a new Fan Zhendong, unless he has to work much harder and earns more confidence and titles as well as improves his technique a lot to match with FZD's current level.

However, regarding two main issues that TTD members have been criticizing him about, one is shouting to his opponent's face, and other is cheating an obvious point, I would like to give my opinion on those too:

Shouting is legal and illegal in table tennis, based on the judgement of the umpire. If you shout too loudly and cause your opponent distracted, then the umpire should correct that action and even give a yellow card if it happen in further. But if the umpires dun think that cause any distraction, and it simply help to boost the confidence of the player, then its TOTALLY OKAY. Some fans even say it is champion manner (of course in some certain situation and for certain their idol), others say its arrogant attitude and should not be carried on for the youngster. Eventually its matter of our personal feeling and can't be taken into account for the game, nor judging any player who has such manner. Btw, I would like to remind you a game to point out what I called the "Champion manner" (which I personally never LIKE it)

Cheating is never a model of sportsmanship, or course. And the 16yo boy did it during the game with a top player in the world, it raises many points from here:
+ Yu Ziyang is surely not much confident to play against Jun, for sure. And its understandable, before that cheating point happened Jun got all control of the game no matter what Yu was trying. Jun is top seed in this tourney and Yu was nothing before the tourney.
+ Desire of winning from a young boy should be taken into account. I have to admit that umpire was totally failed to observe that ball, and also failed to observe Yu's disappointed face after he hit the ball. If they could see one of them, then the point would have been so obvious to favor of Jun

All together, its not a convincingly win for Yu Ziyang, but somehow he does know how to seize the moment when one of the top player in the world was himself destructed by a misjudged point which was actually favor to him. To me, the experienced player like Jun should not lost himself like that, but rather stayed calm and made it even stronger to teach a young boy a lesson about sportsmanship. Unfortunately, Jun failed to do so.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
Shortly, I think we don't need to compare them which player is better than the other. Fan Zhendong and Yu Ziyang are really good national players who are representative of China.

But Yu Ziyang cleary cheated during playing TT and this behavior have to make clear why he insisted on tuching edge even just one point.:)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2015
He definetely cheated, look at his face expression after he knows that ball was out. Then he sees the referee on the left who hesitates to change the score and immediately he claims an edge ball, both referees were confused and yu ziyang took advantage of it. He is not the new fan zhendong, he plays smart but he is not so strong, lacks footwork compared to FZD at his 16 and his FH loop/attack is taking too long to execute (reminds me of chen qi a lot). He is also not consistent enough, personally I dont think we will see him at the top chinese team in the future, he is quite good for his age but I dont think he will make it to the top

He also tossed the ball too far back so he should have lost all his serves

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
I think that is a bad hypothesis. Obviously YZY is wayyyyy not as good as FZD, quite a few levels weaker. The technique is fundamentally weaker

This young boy is great. He has a scolar technique, BH and FH like they teach you in China. I think he is quite fast also. He doesn't seem to be able to do those amazing backhand returns over the table like FZD.

Only time will tell us if he will become a monster like FZD or a 2nd tier chinese player like Hao Shuai.
Anyway, winning the Japan Open against Mizutani is already something REALLY BIG for a 16 yo boy......

Also he is not playing with blue sponge nor orange sponge, so no tenergy or H3 neo national.......i wonder what he plays with because is spin looks amazing regarding how Mizutani struggled to return his serves.

Last edited:
says Aging is a killer
Sorry, that ball was clearly out. I don't care what his explanation was, that youngster knew that it was not an edge. He wanted that great unexpected win and claimed the point.
Unfortunately for him, no matter what he does in the future, this video will haunt him for the rest of his career and he will forever be known as a cheat.

Reactions: Rajah*
says Aging is a killer
Yu Ziyang did not cheat at all, he knew the ball missed but after the point the umpire asked him if the ball hitted and he became unsure and just agreed with the umpire. This is not his fault at all...

The general guide to umpires is that they defer to what the players agree to. Every professional player knows this guidance.
In this case, most players would have given Jun the benefit of the doubt if they were unsure. The umpire would have given the point to Jun even if he (the umpire) thought it was an edge.
Yu Ziyang's explanation is him trying to dig himself out of a hole.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
If it's one point that separates 16 year old "unknown" boy from winning against Jun Mizutani in JAPAN open FINAL, then it's enough said already. He deserved this win, and that 1 point shouldn't matter, players are trained to forget whatever happens and focus. Looking forward to hear about him again in future

The 1 point caused a mental breakdown,so that cannot be justified.

This user has no status.
The general guide to umpires is that they defer to what the players agree to. Every professional player knows this guidance.
In this case, most players would have given Jun the benefit of the doubt if they were unsure. The umpire would have given the point to Jun even if he (the umpire) thought it was an edge.
Yu Ziyang's explanation is him trying to dig himself out of a hole.

He is 16 years old and probably shy and did not knew what to do. Also you cant really say he did it because he wanted to steal the point we dont have any proof and there will never be...