Keeping Rubbers clean. How to do it?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
For me, if you used tacky rubber, i use Olive oil and brush over rubber then wipe it out using towel. Finally, you attach normal cover on your rubber. When you remove cover to play TT next time, the rubber has absolutly gripy.

If you use a normal rubber or high-tension rubber, just use rubber cleaner(but not essential), wipe out and put self-adhereness cover.:)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
beware the olive oil trick.any rubber not stuck to the sponge will expand and cause bumps on the rubber.
I am an unfortunate person who experienced that:(
I think you might stay oiled rubber for a long time. If you daub oil on the rubber and wipe it out with a towel promptly, you wouldn't have such a negative experience. ;)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I just use a rubber cleaner (spray)
Have a Xiom I Clean for 2 years now, bottle almost empty.

Every bat I assemble, I would clean it before send it out.
60% of the time I use my bat, I would clean it too

Quite impressed that a 100ml spray can last so long.

I'm happy with the cleaner, and its cheap enough to invest in

Reactions: michiy
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I use a sponge with water. It works fine. But I think all the other methods including sweat work too. I have heard people say that you should not use water because it damages the rubber. Have not found that to be true. I have heard others say you should not use cleaners because they damage the rubber. I have not found that to be true. I have heard sweat is no good for similar reasons and have not found that to be true. I have heard baby oil, vegetable oil, olive oil and WD 40 can restore the grip to the topsheet and I have also heard that these can cause the rubber to break down. Well, the oils work for making the topsheet grab more and for making the sponge expand. I don't know if they shorten the life of the rubber though. For me, they have made it so that I can use a rubber for a little longer, but I only use oil or WD 40 when the rubber is starting to be dead.

One more method works well for during play: steam from your breath and the palm of your hand. But all methods seem to do an acceptable job.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I use either sweat from my shirt or breathe/wipe with hand. When I played daily, I would need to change out my FH rubber every two months and my BH rubber every 3-4, even if it would last longer. Whatever I did, sweat or breathe/wipe, they would stay serviceable enough. I would use lemon juice/olive oil for restoring older rubbers.

By the way, a club mate of mine would snatch up my discarded rubbers and se them on his bat for another SIX months and he played daily too.

The breathe / wipe deal is good for giving instant grip.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
I clean my rubbers with a (non-abrasive) dish sponge with water. But I must say that my rubbers are more often dusty than greasy. No detergent, and I don't use the sponge for anything else.