which rubber?

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
yikes that's the most incredibly general question ever. There are so many different rubber types its difficult to know where to start and for different styles and preferences there are an enormous number of rubbers that may suit you for topspin play quite well but maybe not so for others. The rubber discussion is always a very personal one. For me I think so far in my career Nimbus Soft has probably been the best attacking rubber I have ever used, generates a lot of topspin and has a tonne of speed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
I don't know how to explain it properly myself..
Hm.. How about this :

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Definition: The throw angle of a rubber is whether the rubber tends to 'throw' the ball higher or lower when making the same stroke. Given the same return from your opponent, and the same stroke by you, a rubber that puts the ball in the net is considered to have a 'lower throw' than a rubber than puts the ball on the table. For the same circumstances, a rubber that puts the ball off the end of the table is considered to have a 'high throw'. You will sometimes hear players talk about 'degrees of throw' - basically a rubber than puts the ball low has a low degree of throw, and vice versa.
Generally, low throw rubbers have degrees of throw in the 30s, while 40-44 degrees of throw is roughly a medium throw rubber, and higher than 44 degrees of throw is typically considered a high throw rubber. These numbers are not exact, and may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

This throw angle is not an exact science (contrary to what you might think from reading on the various forums!), but more of a comparative feel between different rubbers. A rubber with a high throw is not better or worse than a rubber with a low throw, it is just different. Generally, low throw rubbers are considered to be easier to play with against topspin, while high throw rubbers are supposed to be able to lift backspin over the net more easily.
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Quoted from : http://tabletennis.about.com/od/glossary/g/throw_angle.htm

As you can see, a very low throw angle rubber like butterfly anti will throw the ball directly to the net if you smash it the same way using tenergy which has a high throw angle.
Hope that helps :D