Chinese topsheet + Euro/Jap sponge

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Chinese rubbers are popular for their tacky topsheet, but they lack power and speed while playing far from table. On the other hand, European/Japanese rubbers have good technology in sponge, but the topsheet is not tacky, therefore creates disadvantage in serving and pushing compared to Chinese rubbers. Then why don't players combine Chinese topsheet with Euro/Jap sponge to get the maximum effect?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Because it's not as simple as that, both of those aspects don't depend on just the rubber or top sheet, they depend on the interaction between those two.

This user has no status.
Chinese rubbers are popular for their tacky topsheet, but they lack power and speed while playing far from table. On the other hand, European/Japanese rubbers have good technology in sponge, but the topsheet is not tacky, therefore creates disadvantage in serving and pushing compared to Chinese rubbers. Then why don't players combine Chinese topsheet with Euro/Jap sponge to get the maximum effect?

The strength in Chinese rubbers is the tacky topsheet and the dense slow (almost dead) sponge. But when you tune it/boost it transforms it into whole other sponge. Tuning it, increases spin, speed and control. So in the end, with the boosting process you get a better rubber than any euro/jap style.

PS: I tried tuning(with paraffin oil) a euro/jap rubber few months ago (donic bluefire m1) and didn't work out well. The rubber turned out to be way too reactive to incoming spin and speed. I couldn't control it, so I was really bad for me =\

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I have tuned ONE Euro rubber (an old sheet of Aurus) and ONE Japanese rubber (an ANCIENT sheet of Bryce)

I waz careful and the result was a rubber WAY better in spin and control than what they were, old, worn-out rubbers. Waz prolly a 10-15% bump in spin and good feel. Nothing beets the feel of the topsheetof a new sheet of Aurus, that feels like supple, expensive Italian crafted leather.

The few Chinese sheets I tried had mixed results. I over-did the tuner on one sheet and it turned to mush. USELESS. The other sheets I tried made them 3X better rubbers in every way, but the speed increase wasn't there, which is just fine by me. I rely on spin and placement on my opening attacks if the ball isn't powerloop height.

I concur with the previous poster who sez the Chinese like their rubber/sponge combo tuned. It works for them obviously. It is NOT like they do not have access to other equipment, s go figure.

For us Amatures, we can make custom combos ourselves. Now www.colestt.com sells some Chinese topsheets separately as well as a few sponges. If you have the time and patience, try separating the TENERGY sponge from an expired sheet and glue it onto a sheet of 999. That topsheet is about as good as it gets for ALLROUND control and versatility. I used to use 999 on a firm Dawei Quattro sponge for a few Years on both FH and BH. On the TBS, that was one controllable attacking force on either wing, and as a PLUS, it was pretty damned immune to getting wet/slippery during HUMID summers where most players had to wipe their rubbers with their hands literally after each hit. Imagine trying to play a match like that. For real, in extreme humidity, T05 and Xiom Omega II are about the WORST rubbers, they all get wet and slippery in a hurry. Something about the topsheet does it. Imagine you wiped off your rubber right before your opponent serves. The opponent serves, you push short, opponent pushes short, you both play cat and mouse until someone hits one long and you get into a counterlooping rally. You get the ball to your powerzone and attempt to unleash a strong shot. You already see what you shot s going to do - huge damage to opponent as it rushes and spins heavy over the net to land away from opponent. You now wake up and see reality as your now moist topsheet failed to grab the ball and the shot didn't even make it to the net.

ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH !!!

A tacky Chinese topsheet (that you rendered more Euro/Japanese by using sweat to takeaway half the tack) is still very resistant to moisture accumulation. In tourneys in Korea, you could inspect the opponent's bat and not now, but during 2009-2012, not everyone had Tenergy, so if opponent saw you notice he had Tenergy, he smrked like he knew he had the advantage. When he saw 999 on my bat, he asked what it was and I told him it costs less than $10 a topsheet compared to his $60 Tenergy. (Hehe, it costs MOAR now, eh?) Now opponent is about to laugh hiz arse off thinking he is about to outgun me. As the match goes on and the hall get moar humid, he is missing moar and moar and my shots are landing with heavy spin. WTF is going on he thinks and to this day he is clueless.

A Chinese topsheet on a sponge of your choice is NOT a bad choice (for summer).

Reactions: Bishop Rasta 27
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
would i be correct to say this-the tensor sponge will not allow the tacky topsheet to do its wonders at its maximum because the sponge sends the ball out too fast.?

If the sponge is super soft, then yes.
Tensor sponge in medium to medium hard hardness, will still allow the user to control it easily.
Of course, depending on skills level.
This is the same principle with medium to medium hard sponge Tensors that are not tacky.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I've spoken to some professionals about why Chinese is better for them and they all agree because high quality Chinese rubbers produce more high end power. Think of it like a spring. If you have a smaller spring with thinner coils (softer sponges) it will bounce and be highly reactive to low amounts of pressure (low power shots/touch shots) and likewise if you have a larger spring with thicker coils (harder sponges) that same amount of low pressure won't do much to the spring and you'll have very little reaction. However when you start to increase the amounts of pressure on both springs the thinner one peaks off, whereas the thicker spring starts to produce more and more reaction.

Tuning the rubber provides more control and allows many Chinese players to maintain their endurance. Many players would become tired if they had to increase their power levels for every shot if the rubber wasn't tuned.

But in regards to the original post isn't that DHS Tin Arc and Gold Arc exactly that? Chinese like topsheet with a jap like sponge?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Well basically endurance/physical fitness play a major part in this sport and not everybody who are using H3 will resort to tuning.. h3 that is not boosted can give out more variations in spin if you know how to press the ball light/deep into the rubber.
-power should come from the player..not from the rubber.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Actually it is not that wrong what the thread owner is saying... The REAL National blue sponge of CNT is kind of a mix between Tenergy sponge and classic chinese hard sponge, this shit tuned is way faster than every Tenergy. And they combine this with the tacky topsheets. So chinese player are actually playing a blue exclusive sponge which works a little bit different than classic chinese sponge. But the sponge has to be harder because all of them are tuning soooo much and they would become to soft for them.

Thats why Im always saying the most of the people play fake blue sponge, because this real blue sponge has to be as fast as Tenergys only with tacky topsheet so it has to be extraordinary good...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
I have tuned ONE Euro rubber (an old sheet of Aurus) and ONE Japanese rubber (an ANCIENT sheet of Bryce)

I waz careful and the result was a rubber WAY better in spin and control than what they were, old, worn-out rubbers. Waz prolly a 10-15% bump in spin and good feel. Nothing beets the feel of the topsheetof a new sheet of Aurus, that feels like supple, expensive Italian crafted leather.

The few Chinese sheets I tried had mixed results. I over-did the tuner on one sheet and it turned to mush. USELESS. The other sheets I tried made them 3X better rubbers in every way, but the speed increase wasn't there, which is just fine by me. I rely on spin and placement on my opening attacks if the ball isn't powerloop height.

I concur with the previous poster who sez the Chinese like their rubber/sponge combo tuned. It works for them obviously. It is NOT like they do not have access to other equipment, s go figure.

For us Amatures, we can make custom combos ourselves. Now www.colestt.com sells some Chinese topsheets separately as well as a few sponges. If you have the time and patience, try separating the TENERGY sponge from an expired sheet and glue it onto a sheet of 999. That topsheet is about as good as it gets for ALLROUND control and versatility. I used to use 999 on a firm Dawei Quattro sponge for a few Years on both FH and BH. On the TBS, that was one controllable attacking force on either wing, and as a PLUS, it was pretty damned immune to getting wet/slippery during HUMID summers where most players had to wipe their rubbers with their hands literally after each hit. Imagine trying to play a match like that. For real, in extreme humidity, T05 and Xiom Omega II are about the WORST rubbers, they all get wet and slippery in a hurry. Something about the topsheet does it. Imagine you wiped off your rubber right before your opponent serves. The opponent serves, you push short, opponent pushes short, you both play cat and mouse until someone hits one long and you get into a counterlooping rally. You get the ball to your powerzone and attempt to unleash a strong shot. You already see what you shot s going to do - huge damage to opponent as it rushes and spins heavy over the net to land away from opponent. You now wake up and see reality as your now moist topsheet failed to grab the ball and the shot didn't even make it to the net.

ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH !!!

A tacky Chinese topsheet (that you rendered more Euro/Japanese by using sweat to takeaway half the tack) is still very resistant to moisture accumulation. In tourneys in Korea, you could inspect the opponent's bat and not now, but during 2009-2012, not everyone had Tenergy, so if opponent saw you notice he had Tenergy, he smrked like he knew he had the advantage. When he saw 999 on my bat, he asked what it was and I told him it costs less than $10 a topsheet compared to his $60 Tenergy. (Hehe, it costs MOAR now, eh?) Now opponent is about to laugh hiz arse off thinking he is about to outgun me. As the match goes on and the hall get moar humid, he is missing moar and moar and my shots are landing with heavy spin. WTF is going on he thinks and to this day he is clueless.

A Chinese topsheet on a sponge of your choice is NOT a bad choice (for summer).

its a good thing we don't have that kind of climate here in the tropics...but still experience moist building on rubbers if the play room is too cold or its rainy...i agree that usually euro topsheets builds more moist than chinese topsheets. is there any possibility of avoiding moist buildup while on play under such climate or weather condition?...unless, you play with the protector sheets on...hehehehe....:)

that must be one factor why rubber sheets are quickly innovated each time one after the other...to beat weather.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
Actually it is not that wrong what the thread owner is saying... The REAL National blue sponge of CNT is kind of a mix between Tenergy sponge and classic chinese hard sponge, this shit tuned is way faster than every Tenergy. And they combine this with the tacky topsheets. So chinese player are actually playing a blue exclusive sponge which works a little bit different than classic chinese sponge. But the sponge has to be harder because all of them are tuning soooo much and they would become to soft for them.

Thats why Im always saying the most of the people play fake blue sponge, because this real blue sponge has to be as fast as Tenergys only with tacky topsheet so it has to be extraordinary good...

...so better play with a commercial H3 which have real sponge although orange, rather than buying expensive too good to be true fake blue sponge sheets...

This user has no status.
it depends what you wanna do with the rubber. If you are just interested in having a tacky rubber for playing backspin on your backhand, every commercial is good enough. But if you really need a 100% dynamic forehand rubber for boosting and stuff you have to go with provinical.

The orange sponge provincial and national non Neo and NEO provincial H3 rubbers are real because they are coming directly from DHS to the market. You can buy them in the big online shops in China, but sadly they are selling only for and in China and not oversea.
But the blue sponge rubbers are exclusive for CNT and provincial players, you only get them if you have good contacts. And there are not soooooooo much people out there who are friends with player xy of province team so the blue sponge rubbers are really really rare.

For us a orange sponge DHS rubber well tuned should work just fine. There are some combinations like Palio Thor or Xiom Tau which are playable but not that good like fully boosted DHS rubbers. And even the REAL blue sponge has to be tuned.

Anyway dont be confused, but I would only recommend playing chinese rubbers if they really work better than Tenergys. I have that strange feeling people are just playing them because Ma Long and Co. are playing them but dont even know why.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
If the hall is humid, give it up, unless you got air conditioner, which also acts as a de-humidifier. You can get huge containers of desiccant and put 'em under the table and drain them every day, but that would never do the job well enough. You can wipe your rubber after each point, but in extreme humidity, that is not enough and if your rubber is prone to getting moist / slippery, it is and you will not be able to stop it as much as you want.

Reactions: Bishop Rasta 27
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
it depends what you wanna do with the rubber. If you are just interested in having a tacky rubber for playing backspin on your backhand, every commercial is good enough. But if you really need a 100% dynamic forehand rubber for boosting and stuff you have to go with provinical.

The orange sponge provincial and national non Neo and NEO provincial H3 rubbers are real because they are coming directly from DHS to the market. You can buy them in the big online shops in China, but sadly they are selling only for and in China and not oversea.
But the blue sponge rubbers are exclusive for CNT and provincial players, you only get them if you have good contacts. And there are not soooooooo much people out there who are friends with player xy of province team so the blue sponge rubbers are really really rare.

For us a orange sponge DHS rubber well tuned should work just fine. There are some combinations like Palio Thor or Xiom Tau which are playable but not that good like fully boosted DHS rubbers. And even the REAL blue sponge has to be tuned.

Anyway dont be confused, but I would only recommend playing chinese rubbers if they really work better than Tenergys. I have that strange feeling people are just playing them because Ma Long and Co. are playing them but dont even know why.

that's right!some players especially those who recently started with the game would like an equipment like their idols which may not be conforming to their play style.i don't have anything against them or what they want but i suggest to train with what suits best until they've reach a certain level where they can have their idols' equipment...

Love the game!!!:)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
If the hall is humid, give it up, unless you got air conditioner, which also acts as a de-humidifier. You can get huge containers of desiccant and put 'em under the table and drain them every day, but that would never do the job well enough. You can wipe your rubber after each point, but in extreme humidity, that is not enough and if your rubber is prone to getting moist / slippery, it is and you will not be able to stop it as much as you want.

...which can be an added job for those who are maintaining the playing hall hehehehe...to carry huge containers full of desiccant....by the way sir, what do you use for fh, is it the Evolution or the XP 2008?...can you compare and contrast Evolution from Aurus?

thanks..

Last edited: