TIBHAR 40 +SYN TT First Impressions

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
I tried the new Tihbar ITTF approve 40+ ball on Sunday. It basically feels like a slower easier game. Yes there is definitely less spin, but this is relative to the slower speed and results in a very similar arc and bounce to previous balls, just at a bit of a slower pace. The bounce seems more consistent, so easier to judge, and the ball doesn't skid at all as is the case sometimes with the existing ball. The lower spin makes it easier to return serve, and combined with the slower speed and more consistent bounce, counter hitting is definitely easier. I can see the ball resulting in lots more long attacking rallies.

As for defensive players I'm not sure. It should be easier for a defensive player to return the ball, but at the same time the slower speed and less spin makes it easier for the attacker, so it could be quite balanced and just result in longer rallies.

I quite liked it overall, think it's going to suit my attacking game and help me as I'm pretty poor at returning serve. If it makes the game easier it could help with popularity of the sport and be better to watch.

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
I also tried the Tibhar Syntt 40+ ball on Monday - in a doubles game, without telling the other players tee hee ( this was a friendly knock, not a league match before anyone starts !!! ) Apart from the extreme whiteness of the ball - can only be a good thing - I didn't really notice that much difference. The sound was slightly different, but not so much so as to be irritating; I couldn't detect any lack of spin but the people i was playing with don't use a lot of spin anyway. I had the feeling more of my shots were landing on the table, so just maybe the ball travelled slower/came down quicker. I'm afraid I can't say yet how the ball reacts when properly walloped, as in two sets I didn't get a single chance to smash ( players in my club are very good at denying me the opportunity - it's my penance for daring to be left handed and to serve properly ! )

I think the jury's still out on this one - I'll see if I can get another try at it tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Feels slightly heavier to hit, but barely any difference. Definitely less spin, which is most noticeable on service and return, but doesn't make it harder to keep the ball on the table as the slower speed means it has a similar arc when hitting top spins. Gladly it doesn't sound much different to the current ball, and doesn't sound broken like some of the early non approved balls.