Best Of European Youth Championships 2014

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
In the first half of Part 1 many players seem to move back away from the table too much when they don't seem to need to.

That is a good point. I wonder if that's because they are junior players and that's a mindset junior players seem to have. To drop back from the table early on in the point...

This user has no status.
That is a good point. I wonder if that's because they are junior players and that's a mindset junior players seem to have. To drop back from the table early on in the point...

I too noticed that when watching junior cadet players. If Dan can remember, when I posted a video of me playing, he noticed that we move away from the table too early and sometimes even when not needed. But I have trained to correct this.

The reason, I think, is that sometimes players are a bit lazy to really move fast when in close to mid table. That is why they tend to drop back from the table early on in the point. This is to give them more time to react to the ball.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I too noticed that when watching junior cadet players. If Dan can remember, when I posted a video of me playing, he noticed that we move away from the table too early and sometimes even when not needed. But I have trained to correct this.

The reason, I think, is that sometimes players are a bit lazy to really move fast when in close to mid table. That is why they tend to drop back from the table early on in the point. This is to give them more time to react to the ball.

Yeah I think I did say this to, I think nowadays it's really important to recover top of the bounce, meeting the ball. However there are times you get forced back so you have to play away from the table. I think the young Chinese players show good examples of playing top of the bounce. It also depends on your style of play.

I was at a coaching conference once, and a former Chinese National Team coach who is now head of the Austria women's team was giving a talk. He said, he thinks its really important for European players to take a step back away from the table as Euros are naturally more stronger than Asia. So for the Euro players to have an advantage they need to play strong, powerful shots slightly away from the table. So I am kind of contradicting myself here, but I think at the developing level, solid play from close range is important. An example of the match below, at least the first 3/4 shots are close range attacks.

And yes as you point out there Harvey, they are also dropping of to give themselves time to react and adjust.