Setup advice

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
If 1.8 sponge both sides is heavy to you... then the viable options you got are... (but you will not like most of your options)

- lighter blades, WAY lighter blades like 70 grams, but you like your current blade and a feather light blade will feel way different

- OX rubbers, but you like sponge rubbers

- LP in OX or thin sponge, but you do not want to be a material player

- Play on the space station, everything there is light, but no gravity make TT no fun

- a tourniquet to the neck will stop all bleeding, but you are not bleeding

- gym membership and TT training with lots of match play seem to be the only logical direction remaining

If you were to take an extended vacation to Japan, Korea, or China and play daily for hours in a club there with multiball lessons given by a former pro who will train you with the sole objective of running you ragged until you drop, after a month or two you will no longer think your setup is problematic heavy.

To me, I will not play with a setup under mid 180s grams, even that feels light, but if center of balance is low enough, I can play with that bt. My preferred weight range of bats is 200-210 grams total with low or neutral balance including grip and edge tape.

You could try to eat lots of spinach, but that only seems to work well for Popeye the Sailor Man.

Serious, I do not see how a bat with 1.8 sponge can be heavy, unless the blade is made from an anvil. Such a setup ought to be under 170 grams easily, unless the blade is extra oversized.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Maybe you meant head heavy, like in the weight is too far to the tip of the bat. At any weight such a bat would feel heavy and that is unacceptable for match play. if that is the case, the solution is a different blade with better more neutral or low balance if you want to keep the same rubbers. You could also try to add weigh to the bat low, like add grip tape, which usually adds 7 grams, enough to solve most weight distribution problems. If the blade handle is hollowed out like many ones are, you could carefully one of the handles off and fill the empty space with something heavy, like cut nails or wood glue, then glue it back together carefully. I did that mod on several of my blades and really liked the results.

If the bat being head heavy is the case, ignore what I said in my previous post and/or print it out and bring it to the club for lulz and or hang it up on the wall with my avatar and throw darts at it while you and your mates enjoy some beerz.

Last edited:
Reactions: elrigo99
This user has no status.
Hi my friend! Joola greenline medium is generally a light blade, so if you feel your combo heavy, then i think you should go for lighter rubbers and since you like Stiga rubbers i would suggest Calibra LT Spin, which is also less spin-sensitive than Baracuda. Another thing that could improve the spin-sensitivity of your combo is a stiffer, harder blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Baracuda is a heavy rubber and I have a sensitive wrist.

Could someone compare this rubbers: Baracuda vs Acuda s2 vs bluefire jp03. I'm interested in the following properties:
- speed
- spin
- sensitivity for opponenents spin
- weight

@dio_hgw
I didnt no that a soft blade makes a setup more spin sensitive. I shall also look at that.

Thx.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Acuda S2 on both FH and BH has been my first setup. I really enjoyed S2 on my BH but as a FH rubber I wouldn't recommend it. One year later I switched off to Bluefire M2. Played great but when I tried JP 01 I thought it was a superior rubber. Very fast and very soft sponge allowed me to deliver fast and spinny topspins. I thought it was regular soft but now that I have tried some more rubbers I've seen that it is very soft. I'd classify it 2nd in FH rubbers that I've tried but I haven't tried enough to make these observations. So, what I mean is that in my opinion JP is a superior rubber on FH compared to S2 although I haven't really tried JP 03. But personally I don't think that you need a softer rubber than 01. Speed was not too far from Tenergy, spin was very high. Sensitivity was high too from what I recall although it didn't bother me at all. Weight is around 46g (cut), while S2 is around 42g. Hope this helps.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Maybe another thing to try is to take of your rubbers and reduce the size of the head (the blade playing surface) a .5-1 cm since that will not only remove the weight of wood, it also means there will be less rubber to make weight.

If you want to go down the path of lighter rubbers, take a look at the rubber mass database and select a rubber that is to your liking.

http://www.choices-guide.com/silver/

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Often, it is a property of the topsheet and sponge combo. My eternal XP 2008 and Aurus are relatively non-spin sensitive rubbers. On certain OX LP rubbers, the blade makes a lot of difference. Fast/Stiff blades continue the spin better. Korean OX LP players use Schlager Carbon almost exclusively for that.