Shirts in asia cheaper?

ZED

This user has no status.

ZED

This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Now i know that gear in the US or europe is far, far more expensive than in asia, but this is ridiculous.

A shirt that would cost me US$50 at cheapest cost me S$20, or US$18.50. This is an insane price reduction, even with the difference in continents factored in. I know that shipping can be troublesome, but that wouldn't cover the cost.

So, any thoughts as to why they are so insanely cheaper in asia?

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I have noticed it too (in China anyway). Unfortunately if you are tall or large, you can't find your size in Asian vendors. The mark-up in US on TT clothing is obscene and you are only paying for the logo (but people are willing to do it anyway). Go to any sporting goods store in the US and find a shirt with comparable materials and construction but which doesn't say Butterfly or Donic or Tibhar (or Nike or Adidas) and it will not cost $50. (For example check the prices on BCG Athletic Apparel). In many parts of Asia they mark up less because (1) they have to compete with fakes, and (2) people just don't have that kind of money to throw around so they would never sell anything at that price.

ZED

This user has no status.

ZED

This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Yeah, apparently M in US becomes XL in singapore...

Thanks for quick reply!

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Baal, you need to take a trip to Korea, besides the girlz, you will notice that ESPECIALLY the old lady 40-60 yr old Achuma Brigade is ABSOLUTELY CRAZED to buy original expensive branded TT stuff and premium stuff there runs anywhere from $40 USD on low end to $80 for some stuff.

It is also like Pokémon, you can't be happy with just one, you gotta get 'em all and the club will change their jersey each year. You end up buying 3 branded jerseys a year minimum haha.

But, you cannot beat the TT action there, it's hot.

ZED

This user has no status.

ZED

This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Funny post^^

Anyways, i guess we now know singapore and china have lowered prices as opposed to US and Korea.

Only some parts of asia?

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Shirts are expensive in Japan also. And if you are XL in US, then you have to buy 4XL in Asia (or possibly 3XL, depending on whether you like them a bit tighter). Trust me on this. A guy from our club brought back a bunch of really inexpensive TT shirts from Indonesia. I have never been their myself.

Der_Echte, I was in Korea once (Seoul, Daejeon, Daegu) but didn't get to play, and it was November and damn it was cold. If I was not already married to a very attractive woman, I would probably take a TT vacation to Korea. In summer. I also like their take on sashimi, a little different than Japan but just as good.

It is perhaps no coincidence that the most expensive TT clothing I know of on the market is from Xiom?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
In South Africa, there is a 45% duty (tax) that get billed upon import
Same applies with private online sales, or lucky if they didn't notice/bill you.

So if cost is say USD20, with duties it will become USD29 excluding shipping and still needs a 14% vat added. Therefore without profit added, it will already be more expensive than other countries "retail" price.

Does any one knows the import duties in USA on clothing?

ZED

This user has no status.

ZED

This user has no status.
Jul 2014
I guess no south africans get TT shirts...

Any ideas why only certain countries get this price reduction while others dont?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I guess no south africans get TT shirts...

Any ideas why only certain countries get this price reduction while others dont?

Yes, they do get shirts, they will just need to pay more for it, and help sponsor the TAX system.

No idea what price reduction you are talking about. I'm also talking about price increases due to TAX

ZED

This user has no status.

ZED

This user has no status.
Jul 2014
What makes you think you're paying for the genuine article? Much cheaper usually indicates counterfeit.

True, but wouldn't the existence of counterfeits force the genuine product's price to lower due to competition?

I also know that singapore has been pretty solid as opposed to other asian countries (like china) on cracking down on fake products of any kind.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I also heard certain branded shirts is cheaper in America compared to Asia, coz when my friends go over, thats all that they buy back
There is Tax laws, so certain country things will be cheaper than others, that one reason for sure.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Tony, for some reason, some products that are just ordinary things here (or even sold in discount stores), are considered luxury items in China and are marketed and priced accordingly. I am always puzzled when I see that things like Tommy Hilfiger clothes and Buick Automobiles are marketed as luxury items in China. So while taxes and tariffs are certainly one of the issues as you point out, there are also some less rational or at least unpredictable things that sometimes happen. Of course, I am also puzzled by things like Chivas Regal and Louis Vuitton that are considered luxury items here in the US---- at least considering what they are. I think that branded TT shirts are expensive here because people think they look cool and are willing to pay a huge and insane markup to have them (I have done this myself and then feel stupid afterword), whereas in China the sellers can still make considerable profit selling them for much less (and probably to a much larger population of customers). Also, there are more fakes there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Tony, for some reason, some products that are just ordinary things here (or even sold in discount stores), are considered luxury items in China and are marketed and priced accordingly. I am always puzzled when I see that things like Tommy Hilfiger clothes and Buick Automobiles are marketed as luxury items in China. So while taxes and tariffs are certainly one of the issues as you point out, there are also some less rational or at least unpredictable things that sometimes happen. Of course, I am also puzzled by things like Chivas Regal and Louis Vuitton that are considered luxury items here in the US---- at least considering what they are. I think that branded TT shirts are expensive here because people think they look cool and are willing to pay a huge and insane markup to have them (I have done this myself and then feel stupid afterword), whereas in China the sellers can still make considerable profit selling them for much less (and probably to a much larger population of customers). Also, there are more fakes there.

True, the market will also determine the pricing.
But same can be said, why those "Tommy Hiliger" in Asia are marked up so high then. Maybe it is indeed supply chain margin (not necessary retail margin).

Now talking about Butterfly Europe (Germany), they have different clothing line up with Butterfly NA and Asia.
My cost price (excluding tax/shipping/duties etc) is more than a retail priced shirt in Taiwan - from a legitimate shop. Don't really have a same model to compare with, but even the Made in Japan with JTTA logos do not cost as much.

Last edited:

ZED

This user has no status.

ZED

This user has no status.
Jul 2014
If that were true, why isn't Tenergy cheaper? Because lowering prices is not how you fight counterfeiters.

The thing is, tenergy has been getting cheaper. Used to be US$80, now you can get it US$65 ish...

What other ways do you use to fight counterfeiters? Law has limits.

ZED

This user has no status.

ZED

This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Oh, right... Other kinds of competition, my bad.

Back to topic, are you all saying the price difference is due to demand?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
It kinds of branding strategy. Asian (exclude japan) always thinking that Japan, Euro, US brand are all high class brand, doesn't matter whether it really is or not. Like Uniqlo, H&M and even timberland, you will find a ridiculous price in many asia country.

Can you imagine that the levis jean I bought in singapore, after 50% discount is about the price I bought in US without any discount?