PDA

View Full Version : Difference between black rubbers and red rubbers???

Hoi Tak L.
05-01-2011, 11:35 PM
Hi... well, in one of my daily trainings, this questions came to conversation... which is the difference between black rubbers and red rubbers...??? it is said black rubbers have better quality, and that´s why many players use it on their forehand but what is the true... does anyone knows...??

nightwolf34
05-02-2011, 01:13 AM
Well I have heard that due to something related to heat the red rubber has more speed, but nothing sure, If anyone knows???

YosuaYosan
05-02-2011, 01:28 AM
Ive heard in some other forums that black rubbers are the color of the natural rubbers, therefore it is more tacky and soft. Perfect for spinny loop it seems.
The red rubbers had gone through chemical dying, thus is harder and less tacky. Perfect for speed play.

Even though for some products this is true, the manufacturers had tried to lessen the effect of the dying.
Some products (maybe Chinese) still have a remarkably different product of the same name, while the other has taken care of the dying effect.

Hope this helps :D

azlan
05-02-2011, 08:51 AM
I think even if there are any differences, it would be minimum and negligible, at least for me. Btw, my in-laws has got a rubber plantation which he manages himself, and I can safely say natural rubber is white.:)

kaikaz
05-03-2011, 11:48 PM
yes there is a difference.

Dont know how to explain this in english but ill give it a try.

Like someone already said every rubber starts of white and then the factory adds colorant to it to make it black or red. The black colorant is from better quality than the red and is also a little harder than the red.

That are the two main reasons I heard from very decent players why pro's use black on their FH and red on the BH.

sunilcse04
05-04-2011, 03:51 AM
One of my friend had explained that players tend to use different sponge thickness for Black and Red. This results in different response. Am not sure if all players have same thickness on both sides or not but whenever i checked, the black rubber sponge is thicker. Maybe for absorbing the spin. Red is thinner n maybe thats why it is much faster.

-Sunil

Matt Hetherington
05-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Interesting thread. I always assumed there was no difference however have always used black on my forehand. Force of habit? :)

Nuigit
05-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Black is the natural colour of the rubber when it is initally produced, so it's free from any red chemical dye which supposedly makes it less tacky.

The difference is hardly noticeable for your average player but you can see it with the pros.

YosuaYosan
05-06-2011, 04:29 PM
I think even if there are any differences, it would be minimum and negligible, at least for me. Btw, my in-laws has got a rubber plantation which he manages himself, and I can safely say natural rubber is white.:)

Yea thats right, the color of natural rubber is white.
The one that I mean must be the 'natural' color of the processed rubber.
Thx for fixing :D

YosuaYosan
05-06-2011, 04:31 PM
For me, the difference is subtle.
Great technique cover all of the difference :)

scylla24
05-06-2011, 10:44 PM
From my understanding, there is absolutely no difference between whether a rubber is black or red. You can make the rubber and give it whatever properties you want, and what color you want it is a matter of preference. You can make a black rubber in the same way you make a red one and vice versa. What you concentrate on is what properties you want for your forehand and what properties you want for your back hand, and then depending on the general custom of the country that you play in, you just get the respective color for the type of rubber you want. For example, most Europeans play having their forehand being red, and their backhand being black, while the Chinese players all have their forehands with the black rubber and the red on the back.
It probably makes little difference either way, though the only thing I can think of is maybe because pros are so well trained to look at the ball and their racket at the time of impact, it might be slightly easier to get a clearer picture of that moment with the greater contrast between the white ball and the black forehand surface, where as for the backhand, since the rubber is facing away from you it doesn't matter. But this would make such a small difference I really doubt it matters.

ngpalace
05-06-2011, 10:54 PM
I think Dan (the administrator) would be the best person to find out the answer cos he is always in touch with the pros!

kaikaz
05-07-2011, 10:34 AM
I think Dan (the administrator) would be the best person to find out the answer cos he is always in touch with the pros!

Come on Dan, share your wisdom with us :)

I always play red in forehand and black in backhand. I cant play with black in forehand, its all in my head but I just cant play like that.

Same thing goes for the tape around the blade. I cant play if I have a tape around my blade, it feels weird then. LOL

Nikhil
08-29-2012, 04:15 AM
From my understanding, there is absolutely no difference between whether a rubber is black or red. You can make the rubber and give it whatever properties you want, and what color you want it is a matter of preference. You can make a black rubber in the same way you make a red one and vice versa. What you concentrate on is what properties you want for your forehand and what properties you want for your back hand, and then depending on the general custom of the country that you play in, you just get the respective color for the type of rubber you want. For example, most Europeans play having their forehand being red, and their backhand being black, while the Chinese players all have their forehands with the black rubber and the red on the back.
It probably makes little difference either way, though the only thing I can think of is maybe because pros are so well trained to look at the ball and their racket at the time of impact, it might be slightly easier to get a clearer picture of that moment with the greater contrast between the white ball and the black forehand surface, where as for the backhand, since the rubber is facing away from you it doesn't matter. But this would make such a small difference I really doubt it matters.

Agreed, as I have seen rubbers with green colours and blue too.

fongchengloy
08-29-2012, 04:33 AM
Agreed, I have played both red and black color of most of the brands/model e.g. Butterfly, Xiom, Yasaka and Donic and it can be concluded that black color is more softer and spinny. And you notice most European use red for their FH for more speed as compared to the Chinese. Maybe one day we should play only all black or all red...if ITTF listen to us? since some of us only use pip-in rubbers for both sides.

mrrybnik
08-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Yeah i guess black rubbers have more spin and control. I also heard that black rubber mask the spin better when it comes to serving, but i don't know ;)

YosuaYosan
08-29-2012, 11:19 AM
Yeah i guess black rubbers have more spin and control. I also heard that black rubber mask the spin better when it comes to serving, but i don't know ;)

If your shirt is the same as your blade, Sir, then yes :)

Der_Echte
08-29-2012, 01:17 PM
In the realm of TACKY rubbers, black rubber of the same brand and model tend to be stickier.

In the realm of non-tacky rubbers, I dont really know. I prefer to use a sheet of red Aurus on my FH wing and it works for me just fine.

WiWa
08-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Agreed, I have played both red and black color of most of the brands/model e.g. Butterfly, Xiom, Yasaka and Donic and it can be concluded that black color is more softer and spinny. And you notice most European use red for their FH for more speed as compared to the Chinese. Maybe one day we should play only all black or all red...if ITTF listen to us? since some of us only use pip-in rubbers for both sides.
The different colors were introduced because people would use totally different rubbers with the same color and twiddle, so the opponent had no idea what he was getting. I doubt the color of the rubber matters, maybe a little but probably not more than the difference between a new and a 2 months old rubber. If it does make a difference you get used to it quickly enough. I used to play with red on FH, now I always play with black on FH. Not for a particular reason though :P But I don't notice any difference at all either.

mrrybnik
08-29-2012, 02:49 PM
If your shirt is the same as your blade, Sir, then yes :) haha, who knows ;)

Blackbird74
08-29-2012, 04:04 PM
There is a ton of circumstantial testimony here, but until there has been a scientific study and analysis, there is no evidence.

Until then, I conclude that the differences are only in people's minds, and there is no discernible difference in playing characteristics in any rubber, purely based on colour.

Coach Paul
08-29-2012, 05:20 PM
I have no particular preference on colour but I have always been an LP user. As per Rowden Fullen one of early years table tennis gurus "most deceptive Long pimples are Red." I have been switching colors and haven't notice anything significantly different. But who knows,.. hope some guys out there could come up with a study or some sort.

PandaMike
08-30-2012, 08:31 PM
I know I use my black side for my forehand in hope to help mask my serves better. Seeing as its harder to see black as opposed to red.

YosuaYosan
08-31-2012, 04:07 AM
There is a ton of circumstantial testimony here, but until there has been a scientific study and analysis, there is no evidence.

Until then, I conclude that the differences are only in people's minds, and there is no discernible difference in playing characteristics in any rubber, purely based on colour.

Chinese top players using the black tacky rubber is science enough.. Jk, it is supposed that the Chinese has proven that black tack is better.

And I like your frying pan setup, Sir :P

Mr. RicharD
09-01-2012, 05:51 AM
Because I work closely with actual TT Manufacturers as well as ESN who is the european manufacturing facility for MOST rubber companies in Europe here is what I've been told. As these individuals have much more insight than any one of us might have I have to say that I believe what they say makes sense.

The first thing you have to realize is that dye used to color the rubber is not the same dye you or I would purchase to say mix with water to color and easter egg or to bake a dessert. Industrial dyes that are more consistent in producing an actual black and red color require chemicals that you would not think to mix. Basically I've related this to coloring ceramics in an oven. The chemicals used to color a vase white and red are not the same chemicals used to make a vase pink. While yes a white and red crayon or paint may turn pink in an oven you're dealing with a chemical reaction produced by heat. In fact if you mixed white and pink chemicals together to make a color you would get a gold-like brownish color when you bake it in the oven.

The same follows suit with rubber colors. Basically in the past in order to make the rubber a black color the dyes used created a more tacky surface than the dyes used for red coloring. In the past this is why a transition was made to have black on the forehand and red on the backhand (I have heard no such evidence concerning Red to be faster than black only that black was once spinnier than red).

In todays technology and production however the chemical process has been improved and there is actually no difference between separate colored rubbers. The only differences that one may notice are due to quality control rather than the color of the rubber. This is because a rubber cut closer to the center is going to have more speed and spin than a rubber cut further away from the center of the original roll.

Addi27
06-01-2014, 07:25 PM
Black and red are two different colours. Black absorbs all the colours of the light spectrum. Whereas red absorbs every colour EXCEPT red. Therefore black is softer and thus better for looping. Most people tend to spin their forehand and punch and power on their backhand in OPEN play. Although you can't really notice the difference on most rubbers. This is why some players have black on their forehand and red on their backhand. 😜

Belisar
06-01-2014, 07:55 PM
Interesting stuff.

Someone I know apparently had a conversation with Dr Neubauer and was told that red rubber had less impurities making the rubber more consistent.

I was always told red was faster but no one ever seemed to know why.

the_gift
06-01-2014, 08:33 PM
Actually i never set 2 different rubbers, always the same on both sides and i never felt a difference between black and red.
I think it's something psychological about the colors, but who knows, maybe it's true about harder-softer :)

Mr. RicharD
06-02-2014, 01:08 PM
From what I've been told by manufacturers it was an issue in the late 90's and early 2000's that for many rubbers the dye used to create the black sheets made them more spinny than the red sheets. Rubber when in it's natural state is actually white in color. Adding the red dye and adding the black dye had different chemicals so therefore the black became known as the "better" color choice.

Since the speed glue ban most rubbers have the technology in them to be more durable and create even more spin than even a 5 years ago. And because of this the dye no longer takes effect on adding more spin. At least I'm told that this is the case excluding many Chinese brands that seem to use the older process of topsheet rubber production. This may be why many players choose black Chinese rubber on the forehand, but have no preference when using Tenergy on both sides.