Thoughts on the new Poly Ball

This user has no status.
Hi Guys!

Today Ive used the Poly ball myself and this are my thoughts on the new ball.

At first I found the Poly ball alot grippier. I also found out that its not true that the new Poly ball generates less spin than the Celluliod ball. What really happins is that the Poly ball Gets the same amout of spin on the ball (if not even more) but because of the grip the new ball has it grips more onto the table and loses its spin quicker than the Celluloid ball.

And thats what happined with doing Ghost serves. With the Poly ball the ball came back sooner than the Celluloid but the Celluloid rolls back with slightly more pace.
The grip of the ball can be the reason why the ball slows down after the bounce and also why it may dip faster and thats why it bounces up slightly higher than with the Celluloid ball.

So maybe and just 'maybe' if we reduce the grip of the tables so we compensate the grip of the table with the grip of the new ball it will play like the Celluloid ball? who knows. the only thing that will be different will be the bounce that is slightly shorter. But this is just in theory.

Some of these things may not be true but this is just how I experienced the ball and why it acts different in some ocasions.

So, what is your experience with the new ball?

Reactions: Dan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2014
I dont know, here in Brazil we dont have the new poly ball. Maybe in next year.......

This user has no status.
It might help if you shared brand, stars and type of poly (seam or seam less)
All of them have different characteristics basically
You can't generalise poly balls, neither can your generalise cellu balls

Celluloid ball that was used; DHS 1 star ball
Poly ball that was used; Donic 40+ 3 star ball

Of course I cant generalize them but most balls should play almost the same and the differences should be minimal (between brand and stars). the things I wrote do sound logic to me

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Celluloid ball that was used; DHS 1 star ball
Poly ball that was used; Donic 40+ 3 star ball

Of course I cant generalize them but most balls should play almost the same and the differences should be minimal (between brand and stars). the things I wrote do sound logic to me

Even Cellu balls are not the same, another factor is hardness + weight
IE Butterfly 3 star cellu vs DHS 3 star cellu is totally different.
You can ask a chopper and straight away they will tell you they prefer DHS over Butterfly due to hardness and weight.

Reactions: Rajah*