No rubbers legal?

ZED

This user has no status.

ZED

This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Today, i (~US 1700) got destroyed by a chopper using nothing but a blade. If both sides are painted, as some penholders commonly do, is it legal to use in competition?

Also, is there any technique for offense without rubbers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Today, i (~US 1700) got destroyed by a chopper using nothing but a blade. If both sides are painted, as some penholders commonly do, is it legal to use in competition?

Also, is there any technique for offense without rubbers?

Sorry—who was using no rubbers? You or the other guy?

ZED

This user has no status.

ZED

This user has no status.
Jul 2014
The other guy who was a chopper.
I'm offensive

This user has no status.
I believe it's not legal. You must have a rubber on the side that is used to hit the ball.

A side of the blade used for striking the ball shall be covered with either ordinary pimpled rubber, with pimples outwards having a total thickness including adhesive of not more than 2.0mm, or sandwich rubber, with pimples inwards or outwards, having a total thickness including adhesive of not more than 4.0mm.

It's ok to have rubber only one one side. But you can use only the side that has rubber to hit the ball. Some penholders stick rubber only on their forehand side and they use only that side to hit the ball.

This user has no status.
Bare blade, without rubber, is nearly the same as a blade with anti-spin rubber on both sides but it imparts less speed. Spin has virtually no effect against bare blade and the blade can generate no spin even if your opponent chops forcefully. You must have been deceived by the "no-spin" property and tried to push against his chops.

I used to play with such player long, long time ago and was devastated. Next time, try to hit the ball on every possible chance.

Reactions: ZED
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
In an official match or any match that uses ITTF rules. ITTF approved and current listed racket covering most be used on the blade.
If only one side will be used, then the other side must be painted the opposite colour of red/black.

In the cast of the player using wood (painted or not) to contact the ball purposely, then it is illegal based on ITTF rules.
The contact has to be on a ITTF approved rubber basically.

Regarding training, it is popular to train juniors with one side wood and one side rubbers - whereby the coach can twiddle.
This is to let the junior get used to different kind of spins, and controling incoming spin or anti spin (wood) for that matter

Playing with wood does not necessary crack balls faster too, unless they are not training and wacking the ball on purpose

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
Years ago I used to regularly get destroyed by an older guy using a pimples out bat with no sponge. Whatever I fed him he hit very, very hard. When i eventually examined his bat, the rubbers were so old that they had solidified and the surface(s) were like glass - no coefficient of friction at all. I spent quite a while thinking of ways to counteract this. In the end I chose the simplest one - I made sure I never played against him again !

Reactions: anchorschmidt
This user has no status.
No spin in pretty good actually. Make him run side to side and if you can add a spin that will rotate the ball outwards. Your opponent will be wheezing in a couple of minutes since no spin means you can hit the ball pretty easily.

What you need to do is instead of just hitting the ball you need to hit "through" the ball. Because no rubber generates close to no speed, you have to generate the speed by yourself which can be difficult at first but becomes natural after a while.