Need advice on my first custom racquet.

This user has no status.
So I am a relatively new player, have had about a year of experience all up, with gaps in between, due to school etc.
I have been using either pre-made racquets for most of that time, and am looking for components for a custom made racquet.
I am a penhold player, with an all round play style, shifting more towards attacking. From my research so far I am interested in, blade wise: the "Yasaka ma lin carbon, penhold"
Rubber wise I'm looking at the Tibhar Aurus, 2.1mm on the forehand and 1.9 on the backhand.
Firstly, what do you think of that set up relative to my requirements.
Secondly is there anything else you recommend, price can be up to about $130 or so New Zealand dollars, $110 USD or 70 or so GBP.
Thank you to anyone who offers their help :)
EDIT: There is a sale on the items that I have chosen which is why it is cheaper than it should be, but base your suggestions on normal price so it doesn't get too complicated. Again, cheers.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I prefer, with any sport, to start with difficult to use equipment, if that is relevant to said sport so that once I am able to use the equipment well I am able to use almost anything, I have used custom racquets before, with really advanced rubbers like tenergy, though only for a 2 hour session, and I was fine with it, almost, by the end, I will take your advice onboard though, thanks :)

This user has no status.
I was looking for a decently fast very spinny rubber because I like the technical aspect of the game, lots of spin at a reasonable pace, if there is another rubber that you can suggest which is similar but toned down a bit that would be great, any further suggestions would be appreciated with reasons why you suggest that particular setup.
Cheers.
Going to sleep now, its 1:00 am.....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Read 3 reviews
I have played table tennis for 2.5 yrs now and played penhold for the first 2 years of this period. I have played with Ma Lin Yasaka wood version and the carbon version altogether for about 6 months of those 2 years. I didn't find it too fast or challenging technically, although the normal Ma Lin Yasaka (at least the commercial version) was in fact not powerful enough for me after the 6 months (hence the change). However wood is always better than carbon for serve/receives and the short game in particular and thats why most top penhold players use wooden racquets (I am thinking Liu Guoliang from the past and then Ma Lin, Wang Hao and now Xu Xin in particular). I recommend you think about what you are trying to get of a racquet, likely at your stage of development I think Ma Lin wood or carbon is fine either way. Using chinese rubbers or not on the FH is a complex question which I haven't answered for myself, I have different setups which I try out periodically. I am starting to get used to using chinese rubbers but they do require definitely adjustments. For simplicity I like the choice of using Euro rubbers. I just want to name some successful setups I have tried, FH: razka 7, palio blitz 47.5 (harder sponge) BH: tibhar aurus sound, donic bluefire M2 (this rubber is a bit heavy, be warned!). I played penhold mostly with RPB with the occasional traditional penhold block

Have you tried other people's racquets (even if it's shakehand model) of Ma Lin wood or carbon? Always worth having a hit for 10 mins if you can find a buddy who has the racquet you want to buy

Reactions: TTTristan
This user has no status.
Thank you very much, im glad we are on a similar page, I think you have just convinced me to buy the wooden version, though I will wait for more advice to make sure that I am buying the right stuff.
May I ask where you buy your equipment, there arent very many places in New Zealand which sell custom table tennis gear so I will have to ship, if there are any good stores in Aus that ship and have good prices it would be more convenient than other countries, right now I am shopping at a site called dandoysports but its a lot further away I believe.

This user has no status.
ANYTHING you use will seem like a rocket and it will be very difficult to transition. Aurus is a great controllable rubber with offensive capabilities. You will like it.

Hi Der Echte,

Im still loking for a good alternative for Tenergy 05. Do you think Aurus will be a good one?
If you compare both of them which one is faster and has more spin? And how big is the difference be?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Read 3 reviews
I bought a lot of my stuff originally from ttnpp (internet based Hong Kong store) and also nowdays from tabletennis11 (internet based Estonia store). Both stores are highly reputable (I am sure others on TTD forum can verify this), have a look at the prices for yourself and beware of some shipping costs. For me though the discount these internet stores offer (over brick and mortar table tennis shop prices in Sydney) easily outweigh the additional shipping cost to Australia. With tabletennis11 I have always received the products within 2 weeks of buying online, ttnpp is usually about the same but has been occasionally a bit slower. I live in Sydney, Australia.

By the way with penhold over the 2 year period I tried 4 different custom blades, yasaka ma lin wood and carbon then stiga rosewood V then DHS wang hao 656. I think it's quite natural to change racquets over time, this choice you make now whatever it's doesn't have to last a lifetime and generally with penhold blades I had no issues with taking rubbers off one and putting it on another. Have lots of fun!

This user has no status.
So I have been thinking, and I am wondering whether I should get a different rubber on my backhand, something with more control, because I do have less control with RPB's, if any one sees this what do you think, and if you think I should what do you recommend, something with similar attributes to aurus but toned down a bit, slower and more controlled.
Cheers.