Table Tennis Clubs in London

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Hey :)
I am for 3 Months in London and i search a table tennis club where i can train sometimes.
It would be cool if you can give me some tips where i can do it :)
Thank you for your help ;)

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I live in Bristol now so I am a bit behind in terms of where to practice in London. Recently I went to a club called Fusion in South London. They have a lot of tables and good quality players go there to play. You should check it out!

Let us know which places you go to I would be interested :)

tuesday and thursdays at highbury table tennis club from 1800-2100 if you are in the highbury area, they also have free sessions on some mondays and wednesdays at the st mary magdalene school. check out http://www.highburyttclub.co.uk/ for details.
barnet table tennis club in barnet is also pretty good for the saturday group coaching sessions 1000-1130. see www.bttc.co.uk for more information.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
tuesday and thursdays at highbury table tennis club from 1800-2100 if you are in the highbury area, they also have free sessions on some mondays and wednesdays at the st mary magdalene school. check out http://www.highburyttclub.co.uk/ for details.
barnet table tennis club in barnet is also pretty good for the saturday group coaching sessions 1000-1130. see www.bttc.co.uk for more information.

Barnet table tennis club is great (I play there in the local league, and often pop in for a good practice), and not just for saturday (or sunday) morning coaching sessions. They've also got junior training sessions, both beginner and advanced master class. The coaching staff are ex-Hungarian national team players, and are very good. BTTC is also the central venue for a local league matches throughout the year (normal league in fall/winter/spring + summer handicap league during summer). They've got space for up to 9 tables, usually 2-4 are taken by league matches, and the remainder are available for practice. The club is open from 7.30pm till 11pm throughout the week except for Sunday.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Aug 2012
the problem with clubs in london is that there is no structure, they just tell you play with that guy and that's it, they give no further indications.
this also makes it hard for players to advance and improve their level (unless they are really into it and hire private coaching, etc).

from what I've seen the best club is fusion, but the highest level players there tend to play among themselves and it's hard to get to know them because of what I mentioned above.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
Wow, what a great generalization.

What many players don't realize is that they don't have to practice with the best player in the club in order to improve. I'd be the first to admit that it is fun to play with the best players in a club, and blasting a loop past them during a 15 minute practice match gives you something to brag about, but does not help you improve as much, as say, as 15 minutes of multiball or 3rd ball attack or any other shot combination practice with a player of your level. Just my two cents.

P.S.: Also don't forget that these "highest level players" are probably even more driven to improve than you are, and want to get the best bang for the buck during their on table time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
that i do not agree..
Attain a clear understanding of the game.."table tennis conciousness" get a good coach well trained and experienced one. In that way you wont be wasting time. You want to be good? You train with the best.. if you play on your own bracket..then you will be staying on that level of game for a very long time

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
that i do not agree..
Attain a clear understanding of the game.."table tennis conciousness" get a good coach well trained and experienced one. In that way you wont be wasting time. You want to be good? You train with the best.. if you play on your own bracket..then you will be staying on that level of game for a very long time

This is getting a bit off-topic, but I hope the OP will indulge us. I am not saying that one should not train with better players should an opportunity arise, or that one should not get a coach, etc. It is just that there are many aspects of the game that one can work on and improve with the help of players at the same level as you, even a notch or two below you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Again i do not agree
Playing with the "same level" "a notch or two below you" will offer you less knowledge and experience on skills or let me say punching bag sparing partner. Higher level of players will pull you up and push you to your limits, proper guidance of a well trained coach will give you good advices based on experience and practical learning.. and at the same time you will improve faster than the rest of the players. Just an opinion based on my experience as a player/trainer

If i consider your opinion then top 5 players of China doesnt need LGL.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
Hmm, your deduction is wrong. Nothing I wrote above suggests that the top players do not need the wealth of experience (and discipline enforcer) that LGL is.

IMHO, we're talking about somewhat different things. Your argument is that access to best coaches and strongest training partners results in fastest improvement, right? I don't dispute that. All I said is that, considering that spare tables and available practice partners are a limited resource at most clubs, one does not have to have access to best coaches and/or strongest training partners in order to improve.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Aug 2012
Wow, what a great generalization.

What many players don't realize is that they don't have to practice with the best player in the club in order to improve. I'd be the first to admit that it is fun to play with the best players in a club, and blasting a loop past them during a 15 minute practice match gives you something to brag about, but does not help you improve as much, as say, as 15 minutes of multiball or 3rd ball attack or any other shot combination practice with a player of your level. Just my two cents.

P.S.: Also don't forget that these "highest level players" are probably even more driven to improve than you are, and want to get the best bang for the buck during their on table time.

you are sort of assuming that the new player would have low level.
the problem is more when the new player has high level, at least higher than say 80% of the players in the club.
since there is no "coach" or "structure" in training he is just put to play with any random player.
he eventually gets bored and leaves.

I started playing late, at mid 20's.
fortunately where I started there is more structure in training for everybody, no matter if you are 12 and have ittf projection or if you are 70.
if I had been in london I would probably still be playing with a premade and wouldn't know how to loop.

as for whether my opinion is a generalization, I've been to 6 or more clubs in london and they all share the same basic structure, which is basically play with whoever you can wherever you can doing whatever drill you can or matches.
the most organized attempt is shouting "change" and forcing players to move to other table or playing the game called "top table".

Last edited: