PDA

View Full Version : Describe your unique style of play

azlan
05-10-2011, 07:28 AM
Every player will have their own unique style as how they approach a game. Say if you are a defensive player, what type of serve is best for you. Do you look for a quick attack or wait for your opponent to make a mistake? If you are an all out attacker, do you wait for the ball that allow you to attack, or you seek out every possibility to instigate an attack? Do share.

I shall start with mine as an example:
If serving, i'll be looking for a 3rd ball attack. A 30-70 chance to attack to me is still a chance to attack. I will seek out every opportunity to attack, and I don't wait for the right ball (height or pace). All I need is the ball to bounce a little over the table. I don't loop, every spin is a full blooded attack. If the ball is short and low, and I have to play defensively, I will make sure my opponent can't attack too. And I will attack the next play.

If i'm receiving, any type of serves over the table is an invitation for me to attack, and I will never decline, let it be a heavy chop, side spins, top spins etc.

If I'm playing against long/short pips close to table players, I will seek their pips side as it will give me the best attacking options, and always attack that particular side.

YosuaYosan
05-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Nice thread ! I always love threads that includes the members :D
Gotta write down my style of play, esp. after seeing this thread !
Will be back shortly :D

azlan
05-10-2011, 03:57 PM
looking forward to it buddy...cheers:) would be fun to know from a defensive player. It would may even help me how to approach a defensive opponent...in a match!!:cool:

Matt Hetherington
05-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Always look to be first to attack, I don't often push long, I prefer to flick or receive short if I can't, I will only use a long push as a surprise tactic and aim for body. If I am serving I usually serve short sidespin kick serves so my opponent will be unable to push well and are forced to flick, this gives me the opportunity to loop and make the first major attacking move, my game is always strongest in an open rally so I keep my game very open, lot's of looping. Once in an open rally I sometimes hook my loops to force the player further outside the table to open up more space (I'm left handed) then will attack down the line.

azlan
05-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Excellent buddy, this will certainly help people (right handed players) like me. Obviously your hook will take me further to my backhand. This will help me dig into the psyche of offensive left handed players like you. Your long push to the body will stifelled me of space and time, and forces me to a weak return for you to attack. Thanx buddy, nice one.

chughtai
05-10-2011, 07:33 PM
attack but sometimes have to be patiet about it

poltery
05-11-2011, 03:20 AM
me uhmmmmm
serving :like ma lin (inside-out the arm) then arm removal .1 sec b4 ball contact
receiving:flick if light chop or topspin ball
attack:attack every long ball as long as its not suppppeeeerrrrr siiiidddddddeeesssppinnnnnn
defense:if i can't attack a countertopspin from my opponent i'll either block or lob
hahaha i know im noob but somehow this works hahha :))))

azlan
05-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Wow, Ma Lin serve huh....but it took me a few second to understand the arm removal. At 1st I thought it would be a heck of a painful serve for you and whether it was worth while doing it. Then only I realized it was the wrist and arm 'snap' that Ma Lin always does. Nice one mate.
Good to hear that you are getting in the habit of being aggressive. I know how much you hate the suuupeeer duuupeeer siiiiidddeeeessspppiiinnn hahaha...noob or not, if it works, don't fix it i guess..just improve it as you go along. Cheers mate :)

YosuaYosan
05-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Yay! Here it is :

Its been a harsh journey in my table tennis career :
- Starting out as nobody with a junk rubber (old inverted a.k.a antispin). Age : 9
- My first pre made bat and inverted rubbers, the Waldner Line 900. Age : 15 (serious table tennis)
- Playing as an Allround-Attacking player with a weak backhand that tends to chop and block --> Attacking equipment (max on both sides)
- Training hard to improve my backhand topspin and punch which proves to be useful to support my defending style now (Similar to Ruwen Filus)
- Recently changing backhand to long pips and playing as a Defender with a strange twist of counter attacking, mastering the chop quickly since it fits my natural affinity. Age : 16

And what actually comes out of my unorthodox way to learn TT ? Unorthodox way of play !
Service
As a post-attacking player, I dont give up my extremely deceiving serves for the 3rd ball kill.
High toss serves --> Heavy backspin, No-spin, Little topspin, Long and short pendulum and reverse pendulum
--> Twiddle right away to long pips while the ball is in the air to produce sharp angle services or no spin balls
--> Sometimes double twiddle or triple twiddle to confuse and keep my opponent guessing
--> Share some similar traits with Schlager's serves
Low toss serves --> The same as high toss, with the exception of more twiddling and more sharp angle service used (usually to right-handed opponent's forehand on the table's edge near the net)
--> Similar to Schlagi too :D

Thats the first part of my unique style of play that I could think of at the moment. More to come :D

azlan
05-12-2011, 04:13 PM
Whoaaa...once you finished,I think I can clone you buddy. hahaha thx! Keep it coming............