Any suggestions for a good chopping long pips rubber that I can hit with too?

What do you think?

• Was this post interesting?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do you know of anyone in a similar position?

• Do you have similar issues?

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2014
Hello,
Due to my slow footwork, injuries to my, right knee, shoulder, elbow and hand, my inconsistent and weak forehand loop as well as my consistent, versatile, spinny and powerful backhand; my coach suggested that my "winning" strategy would be to mostly chop on my forehand mixing in some all round shots, while winning most points with my backhand.
My blade is the Stiga Rosewood XO, which I love and have loads of control with, even when chopping.
On my forehand I currently use Tenergy 80-FX 2.1 mm (which I love), but I need a different rubber for my forehand which will give me more variety, versatility and opportunity for my shots compared with my Tenergy 64-FX which I use on my backhand.
During my last tournament, I overheard a coach tell his student to stay away from my backhand because I was dominant with it. I need some help with my forehand forcing my opponents to play to my backhand. I need the added ability to play deceptive and precise shots with my forehand, breaking my opponents timing and forcing them to move.
I would like to be able to attack underspin, chop and block loops as well as change the pace of the ball, keeping my opponent off balance.
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the replies received so far. It bearsmentioning that I am 54 years old (so age is a factor) and my injuries are not from overtraining,but from falls, car accidents etc., some which have occurred as far back as1967 and they are as healed as they are going to be, so laying off fromtraining will not help. I have played table tennis over 39 years and have usedmore equipment (blades and rubbers) than most people. I have used all kinds ofrubbers, inverted, short pips, anti and long pips. I am only and specifically askingabout the long pips, nothing more. Thank you.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Knee shoulder elbow and hand injuries... My advice is let yourself heal first, and tell your coach that injured player should not be encourage and pushed to training limits so as not to worsen the condition. Better if you undergo some physiotherapy sessions and muscle strengthening then you go back training.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
I have used long pips on the backhand for chopping for a while now. Sometimes I twiddle during a point, and I even still warm up with smooth on the backhand side, but I have to say long pips are incredibly hard to play on the forehand side. Plus you really don't want to be that guy who just smacks the ball with pips...

I agree with above in saying that you should let those injuries heal, or work on strengthening your right side back up to par so you can then just work on your loop. If you have always played smooth on both sides, the switch to pips on the forehand would be brutal...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2014
Thank you for the replies received so far. It bearsmentioning that I am 54 years old and my injuries are not from overtraining,but from falls, car accidents etc., some which have occurred as far back as1967 and they are as healed as they are going to be, so laying off fromtraining will not help. I have played table tennis over 39 years and have usedmore equipment (blades and rubbers) than most people. I have used all kinds ofrubbers, inverted, short pips, anti and long pips. I am only and specifically askingabout the long pips, nothing more. Thank you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2014
I have used long pips on the backhand for chopping for a while now. Sometimes I twiddle during a point, and I even still warm up with smooth on the backhand side, but I have to say long pips are incredibly hard to play on the forehand side. Plus you really don't want to be that guy who just smacks the ball with pips...

I agree with above in saying that you should let those injuries heal, or work on strengthening your right side back up to par so you can then just work on your loop. If you have always played smooth on both sides, the switch to pips on the forehand would be brutal...

Thank you for the replies received so far. It bearsmentioning that I am 54 years old and my injuries are not from overtraining,but from falls, car accidents etc., some which have occurred as far back as1967 and they are as healed as they are going to be, so laying off fromtraining will not help. I have played table tennis over 39 years and have usedmore equipment (blades and rubbers) than most people. I have used all kinds ofrubbers, inverted, short pips, anti and long pips. I am only and specifically askingabout the long pips, nothing more. Thank you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2014
Knee shoulder elbow and hand injuries... My advice is let yourself heal first, and tell your coach that injured player should not be encourage and pushed to training limits so as not to worsen the condition. Better if you undergo some physiotherapy sessions and muscle strengthening then you go back training.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
I can get a sort of brace for your knee and what I did when I had a shoulder injury was that I started playing with my left hand (sinse I couldnt play for months and I couldnt stay away from table tennis either). It was a funny experience, trying to learn the techniques all over again. And since I was already able to do them it was just a matter of practicing before I was able to do them almost as good as with my right hand. Lets say that Im left handed 70% as good as with my right hand and it actually won me some points with switching hands and even an entire match since the injury came back during cometition and I had to play my last match with my left hand and Actually won it in the deciding set!

Also my coach has a massive shoulder injury that prevents him from playing but he dicided to play with his other hand and he is doing very well now.

So if you cannot play with your injuries you have to find another way to play. Even of you have to play with you mouth haha. maybe even in a wheelchair, I dont know but there will be a way for (almost) everyone.