Attacking from Tibhar grass Ultra

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
I played with a long pimpled rubber in backhand side for some years and then stopped playing TT. Those days I was more of a defensive player. After about 8 years I started playing again, and now I am using Tibhar Grass Ultra 1.5mm rubber on my backhand but I rarely chop now. My blade is Nittaku Violin and on forehand side I have Tenergy 25fx.The problem is most of the times if I try an attacking shot from my backhand it either goes to the net or goes out of the table.And therefore in a match situation because I am not confident to attack from my backhand I simply push even the long balls.Also my forehand topspin is really strong but if my opponent blocks my topspin to my backhand side it is really difficult for me to attack that ball and therefore I lose the advantage of having a good forehand.But if I could attack from backhand it is really difficult for the opponent.The problem with backhand attack is it's inconsistent and therefore I am not confident.Is it possible to learn to attack from the long pimpled Tibhar Grass Ultra 1.5mm rubber ?I have a major tournament in 3 months time and I train 5 days a week, with 3 hours each day.Within this period will I be able to improve my backhand attack.In training lot of time is allocated to improve on backhand attack as its being my real weak spot and with forehand topspin I am fine.
Should I continue to use this Tibhar Grass Ultra rubber or should I change it?
I think it is better to stick to one rubber than keep on changing because specially with pimpled rubbers it take some time to get the feeling of it.I don't like to use an inverted rubber on backhand as I've always used a pimpled rubber on B/H.

Can anyone suggest me what I should do?Should I be patient and keep training with Tibhar Grass Ultra rubber or should I go for a change?

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
It is possible to attack a block with sponged long pimples, effectively, but right now, you will not master it in the timeframe you want. VS an incoming block that has light topspin, you can hit through the ball with a more open bat angle, kill the spin and produce a medium fast knuckle ball and if you place it well, you will either get an error or a good chance to use a strong FH.

It is also possible to weak topspin the ball with sponged LPs, but a good opponent will get used to the timing of that shot pretty quickly and counter it for winners all day long.

If you want to keep your same setup, your options are to learn a flat BH with the sponged pips that you hit quick off the bounce to rush opponent, or you dare yourself to twiddle and use the BH inverted loop. That is kinda hard to anticipate.

Another possible way to go is to learn how to be better balanced on the first attack, see the block better, and continue the attack with the FH.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
What sort of medium pimpled rubber would suit?I have tried Dawai 388C-1 which didn't go off well at all.Even though Grass Ultra is only two weeks old some of the pips are missing on it.So I have to buy a new rubber anyway. Therefore if I am going to change Grass Ultra to something else what would be the suitable rubber , which I would be able to master within a short period (3 months).That medium pimple rubber should be able to have some chop ability as well.Because if I can't attack from backhand I go for the chop.In that case Grass is really good.Also it should be a cheap one as I am trying it out.

This user has no status.
What sort of medium pimpled rubber would suit?I have tried Dawai 388C-1 which didn't go off well at all.Even though Grass Ultra is only two weeks old some of the pips are missing on it.So I have to buy a new rubber anyway. Therefore if I am going to change Grass Ultra to something else what would be the suitable rubber , which I would be able to master within a short period (3 months).That medium pimple rubber should be able to have some chop ability as well.Because if I can't attack from backhand I go for the chop.In that case Grass is really good.Also it should be a cheap one as I am trying it out.

I use inverted rubbers both side and now currently using medium pimples for BH. I use Globe 888 medium pimple rubber. It was recommended to me by my trainer. It is quite fast and suitable for attacking topspins. It is also good for 'stopping the ball' short after a spin by the opponent. This is my first pimpled rubber and I am quite new to the game (using pimples) but it is exciting and effective to use, especially when returns of your opponents go to the net--most of the time. Hahaha

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Yes Harvey, when you can kill the spin vs players unaccustomed to that, you kill them. vs the better crowd, you kill spin and leave it shallow or high and it is over. You keep it low and fast enough to the crossover or low and half long, you can stay in the driver's seat.

All in all, I really like playing vs pips players, you have to think more and be patient.