Change my BH rubber?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Hi everyone. So, I've been playing around with my backhand rubber, and have settled with Tenergy 80FX, which really feels great. My BH block (I'm a lefty) is better than a lot of 1700s (I'm a 1450) and my forehan loop is my winner. I think that the biggest problem for many people at my level is that after a forehand loop they don't anticipate a block, let along to the backhand and aren't recovered. This is good for me being an aggressive blocker on my backhand, and I do have a backhand loop, but I don't have an opener-a loop against backspin, which most players my level are consistent with. My coach has not focused on this—we've been working on my down the line block to turn my forehand into my overpowering strength (for a cross court backhand to my forehand). For someone just learning a backhand opener Tenergy is probably not the best rubber. So, should I stick with it (assuming I continue to have the money haha)?

The aurus that I tried on Der Echtes blade is a contender, and so might be xiom rubbers.

Can anyone think of anything that will pair well with viscaria or should I stick with tenergy? Thanks!

I plan to eventually of back to Tenergy even if I do change. Thanks!

- Abe

Reactions: Der_Echte
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
agold, if I had an Aurus soft, I would have coughed it up. On the test blade, take off any and all rubbers, and later, slap on what ever rubbers the cat drug in and cough that bat up to a poor soul who has no bat.

On a composite BTY blade, I can loop with about anything, but a somewhat softish rubber works there great. At this stage of the game, you are best served by a rubber with excellent control. People don't want to hear use a $7 but it is good and it lasts.

The best rubbers for consistency I have had on BH wing were somewhat softish allround oriented rubbers.

Almost any rubber in the FX range or one step higher for modern rubbers is going to be your sweet spot.

Tibhar: Aurus Soft, Genius, Genius sound, and any older on sale Tibhar rubber that is softish
Xiom: Sigma I or Sigma II Euro, Omega IV Euro, or Vega (elite or Europe)

That is just a starter list.

If you can find an old sheet of Bryce no one wants any moar, let a few layers of lamp oil soak into that sponge and she is ready for service on a composite BTY blade.

Also consider taking off that sheet of Aurus and apply a layer of lamp oil to the sponge to easily let you rub off the glue, then a couple coats left on 2-3 days. That will soften up the sponge enough to make it easier on BH. Aurus is a great rubber without treatment, but some players need a little more soft for a little better control. Aurus has a wonderful grippy elastic topsheet and that is the big thing to help grab the ball and control it while you get rebound from the sponge.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Another good idea is to loop right at their body deep and heavy. You will get back a weaker ball unless they are way better than you. You start practicing pushing off with your left leg (as a lefty) right after impact to make you open up the stance as you hop and pivot right after impact with a bounce towards your BH corner, AND keep knees bent / weight on toes, you will find your self SO much more ready to continue or finish the attack on FH than before. So what if opponent blocks weakly to wide FH, that ball is still easy to get to with a crossover step and when you get there and hit in rhythm on time, you finish the point and the SPiN staff watching you will immediately hit the ready button to play a 2 second clip to over-ride the loudspeakers of ganster rap "Listen to my 9 MM go BANG BANG", you will be banging such a ball for a winner if you are in open stance on balance, even if the ball goes 2 meters to the other side.

Reactions: agold
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I don't think an amature like me is going to have a better BH than that an old pro coach like yours, but my BH is very dynamic, spinny, fast when needed and generaly ahead of my overall level. I do that with a cheepo Chinese rubber that I make sure is more Euro/Japanese in properties than a classic Chinese rubber. I just "see" the ball better on BH wing and formed my stroke when I had no bad habits. I read Larry Hodges Steps to Success TT book.

Too bad the ratings for your Westchester tourney didn't get published.

That's OK, next week the world will see how bad-azz you did and if you keep working your azz off and listen to coach (like you obviously are), you will need further ratings updates to catch up to your trail dust.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
I don't think an amature like me is going to have a better BH than that an old pro coach like yours, but my BH is very dynamic, spinny, fast when needed and generaly ahead of my overall level. I do that with a cheepo Chinese rubber that I make sure is more Euro/Japanese in properties than a classic Chinese rubber. I just "see" the ball better on BH wing and formed my stroke when I had no bad habits. I read Larry Hodges Steps to Success TT book.

Too bad the ratings for your Westchester tourney didn't get published.

That's OK, next week the world will see how bad-azz you did and if you keep working your azz off and listen to coach (like you obviously are), you will need further ratings updates to catch up to your trail dust.

My estimated rating is 1365 :) that puts me in 9th for male table tennis players u14 in New York State. But that is because of a lack of serious training and coaching in the city. New Jersey has lily yip ttc and the same ranking there is a 1700 in 10th. I am improving a lot. My coach is only 18 but I think he knows what I need. We have a similar style because he's coached me since my first lesson. He was a 2550 at his best (he is now only a coach). He knows how to provoke me to make me play my hardest haha ;)

I tried the bat in a half hour of serve and attack. I felt like the XP was very insensitive to spin which made it easier to loop backspin with on the BH. I felt like when I switched back again the loops were more consistent than before. I have read Larry hodges (I have the sample of "tactics for thinkers" and read his blog daily which is great) and maybe I'll read tht one.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
agold, Larry's Tactical Thinker's book feels a lot like his blog work over the years retold and organized. Well, over the years and decades he has been telling a lot of how he feels and knows and isn't trying to hide stuff, so that would be a natural result. I bought the book and recommend players buy and examine it for themselves.

For anyone trying to learn to become more serious about the sport, Larry's Steps to Success TT book is extremely clear in explanation and concept and easy to become fascinated to learning. There are ZERO books in my observation and opinion that come even 1/2 as close to the goal. None. That one book shows a player the foundation to learn and if they get in a structured environment, to grow into what US people would call an advanced player.

His Thinker's book, even if it looks like it is for the 1700+ crowd, could be useful to any level of player, even a 1000 level player without great strokes or power can explode in level by using what they already got or a few small improvements to move up a level or two. A Thai dude named Bogeyhunter (a 2300+ level chopper) on the TT forums taught me what to do for short serves, I practiced it in Iraq on a lonely camp with zero players for almost a year. I came back to US for R & R leave (2 weeks) did a tourney in TX and moved up a level. I got done with the deployment and after another tourney or two moved to low 1600s. I was low to mid 1400s before I left. All that changed in my game was 3 minutes of serve practice a day and rotting away any other TT skill I had, no matches, anyone on camp was not so good at TT they could barely pat back a high no spin ball. Any spin or pace and they miss.

You can prolly score a used version of his Steps to Success TT book for $4 on amazon.com used books including shipping. I would call that a very well spent $4, even if you think you know everything in that book. There is a good chance you don't know at least ONE thing and that will help you to the tune of more than $4 for sure.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The XP 2008 FEELS like it has a decent degree of spin insensitivity when you are doing shots with low bat speed and medium bat speeds. So returning a short serve is easier in feel than say T05 is. In those BH to BH exchanges where you are doing a drive with low to medium spin, feels that way too. However, vs heavy underspin or medium underspin incoming ball, you can really load up the spin. Ditto on BH flips of short serves or short returns. Players usually think a short ball to the BH is a safe shot. If I see that one coming and decide early to attack it, that ball is NOT safe, I see it better than the FH short ball.

We discussed it a lot before, you have to tryout a lot of stuff yourself, so it is important to get around (it looks like you do, I saw the Int. Trng Center club Sunday that weekend) and tryout stuff, ask questions and listen. Nothing replaces experience and firsthand using stuff, but it is great to know concepts and one can learn a lot of that reading and listening.

On you Viscaria, I feel if you want to develop a "safe" and consistent BH opening loop and flip of short balls on BH, you would benefit greatly from a modern rubber that is in the medium soft range.

Many manufactuers have their own names for hardness, but many are like this...

Hard = Dah-huh, of course hard is hard. Some call it pro, some call it hard. Some versions are already hard sponge, like Aurus, but Aurus topsheet is elastic, so it doesn't feel rock hard.

Medium = most company versions of regular, some call it EL

Soft to medium soft = some call it Soft, some call it Euro, some call it FX (which could be soft or medium soft)

Really soft = most company versions of SOUND or SPIN

Overall, I agree that your rubber T80FX will suit you great, but it is expensive as all letout. Playing daily, I NEVER got more than 4-5 weeks TOPS out of a Tenergy before its performance became like a regular rubber. I agree you can do very well with another rubber too and there are many of them that you use and still perform well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Thanks so much for your detailed comments. I read his tips of the week and they helped me a lot. My serve is probably a level above the rest of my play just like yours was, and although my coach helped me a lot with that, hodges serving section of that did too. I will try different things, but not many people my age own a viscaria.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Korean coaches start out MANY newbs with a SCHLAGER CARBON, so don't worry about the bat being "too fast" or whatever. The Viscaria has great feel, loops great, had dwell, and isn't ridiculous too quick rebound, and the low and medium gears are slower than one would think.

No Abe, have confidence in you blade with your Tenergy or whatever rubber you settle in on later, your equipment is appropriate to develop a flexible offensive game. You have a coach, and he is either a good coach or you are a self programmable robot. I would rather believe he is good coach and that listen and are motivated. You stay in or around a similar TT situation and you will continue to grow in level.

Pundits say one must use an ALL+ 5 ply slowish wood blade and thin sponged rubbers to grow. Baloney I say to that. I see new players grow in level with the equipment that would offend the very fragile sensibilities of pundits. These players had good coaches, a good TT situation, and dedication. That counts for a lot more.