What glue do you use to glue new rubbers to your bat?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Hi pingpongers,

I would like to know what kind of glue you use to (re)glue (new) rubbers to your bat. Now I still use the speed glue, but the problem is that rubber becomes larger when you put glue on it, and I don't want that.

I also don't like the white glues, they are a mess..

what do you recommand guys?

Cheers from Belgium

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
Hi pingpongers,

I would like to know what kind of glue you use to (re)glue (new) rubbers to your bat. Now I still use the speed glue, but the problem is that rubber becomes larger when you put glue on it, and I don't want that.

I also don't like the white glues, they are a mess..

what do you recommand guys?

Cheers from Belgium

I use Joola x-glue or donic formula or butterfly free chack. All white glues but easy to pull your rubber off the blade. If you dont want a white glue then you can use waterglue but to be honest thats a bigger mess than the white glues.

If you dont want that mess with the glues, you can either keep using the speed glue you are using now or use the glue the shops are using. The shops use some kind of glue that smells the same as speed glue but they say it isnt. If you are friends with one of the people in the shops you can get shop glue from them, but normally they are not allowed to sell it.

Another option would be to buy rubbers that have a glue layer on the rubbers itself when you buy them, you just have to take off a plastic sheet and you put them on your blade, dont need glue for that but you would only want that as your very last option.

P.S: Where from in belgium? What club? maybe I know that club because I played there :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Hi kaikaz,

I play in TTC dino Brugge (West-Vlaanderen, coastal region).

So the glues you use don't make the rubber larger?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Also when removing the rubber, there may not be a white residue that you cannot remove from the bat..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
Hi kaikaz,

I play in TTC dino Brugge (West-Vlaanderen, coastal region).

So the glues you use don't make the rubber larger?

No the white glues dont make them larger, maybe just a tiny bit, but not like speedglue. But try to ones I mentioned before, they dont leave a mess after you take off your rubbers. I even reglue my rubbers every 2 weeks with white glue because I feel it makes them a little faster.

Also when you glue your rubber on the blade, dont pull your rubber. Just put it on the blade and use a roller. I see some people in my club really pull the rubber when they glue it on, it makes a very loud sound then but after a week their rubbers are all too short.

But you shouldnt use speedglue anymore, when they dont make it anymore you have to get used to the white glue anyway, so better start asap :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
OK, which one of those three glues is the best in your opinion?

I liked the donic best but I can't find them anymore in the shops where I go, so now I use the joola x glue. The difference is that joola sticks a little harder to the blade but leaves almost nothing on the blade when you pull of your rubbers. Also depends on how much you use but like I said, I reglue my rubbers every 2 weeks and I never had problems with "mess". The free chack of butterfly is from higher quality I think but leaves alot of mess on my rubbers and blade so thats why I changed to x glue.

Of course if you can get the glue of the shops, try that. Its the closest to speed glue feel. The only downside is that if you dont play with tape around your blade and you hit the side of your blade with the ball, your rubbers might come off a little.

Btw: you will always have some white glue on your rubbers and blade when you change rubbers, its normal but with the joola its not that much.

Good luck :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
"Elmers rubber cement" doesn't sound like the rubbers will ever come off :)

Elmers Rubber Cement is totally fine. The rubbers come off easy. Elmers rubber cement, Best Test Rubber Cement. It is just rubber as glue so it is a lot like the old speed glue without as much of the VOCs in it. If you glued and they tested your rubber that day they might detect the VOCs but it does not expand the rubber the way speed glue would. So you do not get a real speed glue effect from it. In the US Elmers cost $2.50 for a 2 oz bottle, best test costs $4.00 for an 8 oz bottle and $6.00 for a 16 oz bottle. You can get Best Test at most art supply stores. Artists use Rubber Cement for a variety of things.

All the old glues that were not speed glue but were regular (not water based) glue, were really the same thing as Rubber Cement.

From a chemical makeup standpoint there is no difference between Best Test and Elmers Rubber Cement, and what you used to buy as glue from Table Tennis companies that were selling the non-speed glue glues. The only difference is it is not marketed for table tennis so the markup for that does not exist.

Just like you can just buy the chemicals that the Table Tennis companies put in the rubber boosters, Rubber Cement is the chemical of the old regular glues.

You can also get Speed Glue. There is a glue they use for tires that is Speed Glue. There is no speed glue that was better than this. I have to remember the brand. I will post when I see it at the tire store. :)

That being said, it is fine to use the water based glues. But they do cost a lot more than Rubber Cement. And a day after you glue with Rubber Cement the VOCs are gone and there is no speed glue effect.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
How do you remove the white residue from your rubbers after removing the rubber from the blade? My tenergy sponge looks f**cked.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hi pingpongers,

Now I still use the speed glue, but the problem is that rubber becomes larger when you put glue on it, and I don't want that.

I just remembered that this statement was in the original post that started this thread. It is worth making sure that you know this information: the expansion of the rubber is what gives it the speed glue effect. When the sponge expands something happens to the rubber that makes it a lot more spiny and gives the rubber a lot more control, dwell time, catapult effect. Without the expansion there is no such thing as a speed glue effect.

That being said, having a good rubber that does its job without speed glue and without needing to be boosted is nice. I like putting rubbers on my bat and just leaving them. With speed glue you would re-glue pretty much every time you play.

Last edited: