PDA

View Full Version : What glue do you use to glue new rubbers to your bat?

Justchill
05-13-2011, 09:20 AM
Hi pingpongers,

I would like to know what kind of glue you use to (re)glue (new) rubbers to your bat. Now I still use the speed glue, but the problem is that rubber becomes larger when you put glue on it, and I don't want that.

I also don't like the white glues, they are a mess..

what do you recommand guys?

Cheers from Belgium

kaikaz
05-13-2011, 09:31 AM
Hi pingpongers,

I would like to know what kind of glue you use to (re)glue (new) rubbers to your bat. Now I still use the speed glue, but the problem is that rubber becomes larger when you put glue on it, and I don't want that.

I also don't like the white glues, they are a mess..

what do you recommand guys?

Cheers from Belgium

I use Joola x-glue or donic formula or butterfly free chack. All white glues but easy to pull your rubber off the blade. If you dont want a white glue then you can use waterglue but to be honest thats a bigger mess than the white glues.

If you dont want that mess with the glues, you can either keep using the speed glue you are using now or use the glue the shops are using. The shops use some kind of glue that smells the same as speed glue but they say it isnt. If you are friends with one of the people in the shops you can get shop glue from them, but normally they are not allowed to sell it.

Another option would be to buy rubbers that have a glue layer on the rubbers itself when you buy them, you just have to take off a plastic sheet and you put them on your blade, dont need glue for that but you would only want that as your very last option.

P.S: Where from in belgium? What club? maybe I know that club because I played there :)

Justchill
05-13-2011, 09:46 AM
Hi kaikaz,

I play in TTC dino Brugge (West-Vlaanderen, coastal region).

So the glues you use don't make the rubber larger?

Justchill
05-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Also when removing the rubber, there may not be a white residue that you cannot remove from the bat..

kaikaz
05-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Hi kaikaz,

I play in TTC dino Brugge (West-Vlaanderen, coastal region).

So the glues you use don't make the rubber larger?

No the white glues dont make them larger, maybe just a tiny bit, but not like speedglue. But try to ones I mentioned before, they dont leave a mess after you take off your rubbers. I even reglue my rubbers every 2 weeks with white glue because I feel it makes them a little faster.

Also when you glue your rubber on the blade, dont pull your rubber. Just put it on the blade and use a roller. I see some people in my club really pull the rubber when they glue it on, it makes a very loud sound then but after a week their rubbers are all too short.

But you shouldnt use speedglue anymore, when they dont make it anymore you have to get used to the white glue anyway, so better start asap :)

Justchill
05-13-2011, 10:06 AM
OK, which one of those three glues is the best in your opinion?

kaikaz
05-13-2011, 11:14 AM
OK, which one of those three glues is the best in your opinion?

I liked the donic best but I can't find them anymore in the shops where I go, so now I use the joola x glue. The difference is that joola sticks a little harder to the blade but leaves almost nothing on the blade when you pull of your rubbers. Also depends on how much you use but like I said, I reglue my rubbers every 2 weeks and I never had problems with "mess". The free chack of butterfly is from higher quality I think but leaves alot of mess on my rubbers and blade so thats why I changed to x glue.

Of course if you can get the glue of the shops, try that. Its the closest to speed glue feel. The only downside is that if you dont play with tape around your blade and you hit the side of your blade with the ball, your rubbers might come off a little.

Btw: you will always have some white glue on your rubbers and blade when you change rubbers, its normal but with the joola its not that much.

Good luck :)

TTOski
05-13-2011, 01:58 PM
I'm using the Butterfly free chack glue! One of the best!

DustinZ
05-15-2011, 09:32 PM
I use elmer's rubber cement from walmart lol 2 bucks a can!

Tom
05-18-2011, 08:57 AM
I find butterfly free chack the best and it doesn't change the size of the rubber :)

Justchill
05-18-2011, 09:14 AM
"Elmers rubber cement" doesn't sound like the rubbers will ever come off :-)

Dan
05-18-2011, 09:15 AM

Haha that is pretty epic!

UpSideDownCarl
05-19-2011, 04:40 PM

Elmers Rubber Cement is totally fine. The rubbers come off easy. Elmers rubber cement, Best Test Rubber Cement. It is just rubber as glue so it is a lot like the old speed glue without as much of the VOCs in it. If you glued and they tested your rubber that day they might detect the VOCs but it does not expand the rubber the way speed glue would. So you do not get a real speed glue effect from it. In the US Elmers cost $2.50 for a 2 oz bottle, best test costs $4.00 for an 8 oz bottle and $6.00 for a 16 oz bottle. You can get Best Test at most art supply stores. Artists use Rubber Cement for a variety of things.

All the old glues that were not speed glue but were regular (not water based) glue, were really the same thing as Rubber Cement.

From a chemical makeup standpoint there is no difference between Best Test and Elmers Rubber Cement, and what you used to buy as glue from Table Tennis companies that were selling the non-speed glue glues. The only difference is it is not marketed for table tennis so the markup for that does not exist.

Just like you can just buy the chemicals that the Table Tennis companies put in the rubber boosters, Rubber Cement is the chemical of the old regular glues.

You can also get Speed Glue. There is a glue they use for tires that is Speed Glue. There is no speed glue that was better than this. I have to remember the brand. I will post when I see it at the tire store. :)

That being said, it is fine to use the water based glues. But they do cost a lot more than Rubber Cement. And a day after you glue with Rubber Cement the VOCs are gone and there is no speed glue effect.

DustinZ
05-20-2011, 12:25 AM
and using elmers you get a speed glue effect for the first about 2 days you play with it then it just goes back to normal

YosuaYosan
05-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Have just bought a japanese rubber cement..
Hope it will work just fine

Justchill
05-20-2011, 11:59 AM
How do you remove the white residue from your rubbers after removing the rubber from the blade? My tenergy sponge looks f**cked.

Justchill
05-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Would this be OK:

http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/Rubber-Cement-Acid-Free-No-Wrinkle-/140550314449?pt=UK_Collectables_MagicTricks_RL&hash=item20b97399d1

dici
05-20-2011, 01:01 PM
How do you remove the white residue from your rubbers after removing the rubber from the blade? My tenergy sponge looks f**cked.

I use my finger (not nail) to scrap all the glue on the rubber out :D
It will took some time to do it thought

UpSideDownCarl
05-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Would this be OK:

http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/Rubber-Cement-Acid-Free-No-Wrinkle-/140550314449?pt=UK_Collectables_MagicTricks_RL&hash=item20b97399d1

That will work.

YosuaYosan Wrote: "Have just bought a japanese rubber cement.. Hope it will work just fine"

As long as the main ingredient is something like this:

N-Heptane, Natural Latex Rubber

it should be fine.

UpSideDownCarl
05-20-2011, 02:00 PM
Hi pingpongers,

Now I still use the speed glue, but the problem is that rubber becomes larger when you put glue on it, and I don't want that.

I just remembered that this statement was in the original post that started this thread. It is worth making sure that you know this information: the expansion of the rubber is what gives it the speed glue effect. When the sponge expands something happens to the rubber that makes it a lot more spiny and gives the rubber a lot more control, dwell time, catapult effect. Without the expansion there is no such thing as a speed glue effect.

That being said, having a good rubber that does its job without speed glue and without needing to be boosted is nice. I like putting rubbers on my bat and just leaving them. With speed glue you would re-glue pretty much every time you play.

YosuaYosan
05-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Thx Carl for being informative once again :D

Justchill
05-20-2011, 03:19 PM
I use my finger (not nail) to scrap all the glue on the rubber out :D
It will took some time to do it thought

I also did this, but I was afraid that I would damage the sponge. Do you have an other alternative to this method?

Justchill
05-20-2011, 03:20 PM
I just remembered that this statement was in the original post that started this thread. It is worth making sure that you know that this information: the expansion of the rubber is what gives it the speed glue effect. When the sponge expands something happens to the rubber that makes it a lot more spiny and gives the rubber a lot more control, dwell time, catapult effect. Without the expansion there is no such thing as speed glue a speed glue effect.

Seriously, do you mean that? Glueing gives you more control?

You're lucky !!

YosuaYosan
05-21-2011, 05:58 PM

Actually the first time I saw it I thought the same thing :D

SquareBall
03-05-2014, 01:17 PM
Would a thin layer of silicon glue do the job ?

Gezim
07-01-2014, 08:26 AM
Has anyone tried Stiga Optimizer Glue ?

laurenthb
07-01-2014, 06:23 PM
I use dhs #15 glue. It's pretty thick and strong, it also comes off pretty easy if your blade is sealed. Free chack might be easier to use if you don't reglue often though.

DXV0401
07-02-2014, 07:33 AM
The safest way is to ask the store to assemble them for you :). I think almost every stores will do it for free, why do it yourself?

elrigo99
07-02-2014, 10:06 AM
And how do you spread the glue? Do you use a sponge?

Wally
10-20-2014, 11:49 PM
I've used the Butterfly Free Chack for quite a while to glue. Only problem was that when I wanted to re-glue rubbers, I usually had to peel off the glue from the rubber and that took quite a while.
For a few months now, I have switched to the XIOM Revolution No.3 latex based glue. It makes the peeling off so much easier and the glue is holding the rubber on the paddle quite well :)

Bishop Rasta 27
10-21-2014, 02:24 AM
i have read in one of the posts here that rubber cements are sold usually where we buy school supplies and art supplies, so i tried to look for a rubber cement here in our local stores to my surprise the sellers doesn't know what a rubber cement is!...they asked me where am i gonna use the rubber cement for, isn't it obvious?..hahaha...
...yah!i think i can save much rather than buying online for table tennis glue but i don't have the option because they don't know what a rubber cement is here in our locality...or they're just lazy to look into their stocks...:mad:

Sergio Gonzalez
10-21-2014, 02:27 AM
Butterfly Free Chack, but I think that the comparison point is if that glue is easy to apply or easy to remove...

Amamdey
10-21-2014, 07:17 AM
donic vario glue.

TENERGY13
10-21-2014, 10:40 AM
Butterfly free chack glue is good

raazzz
10-21-2014, 01:49 PM
I use Stiga attach power glue, works good for me.

Josep Antón Velázquez
10-21-2014, 03:01 PM
I use dhs #15 glue. It's pretty thick and strong, it also comes off pretty easy if your blade is sealed. Free chack might be easier to use if you don't reglue often though.

I also use dhs #15 glue. Great glue but I recently hear that DHS stop making it... any one have notices about? They will sell another glue?

rycyt
10-22-2014, 05:25 AM
I get the store to do it for me too, but recently, my rubbers have started coming off gradually. Is this normal? Or is it due to the glue that was used?

JHB
10-23-2014, 07:38 PM
I had this with the last bat I got the store to do for me ( my secondary for the last few months ). I honestly don't think the store used enough glue; I used my Butterfly Free Chack to glue down the bits that started peeling, and they stayed where they were put after that. On the other hand I put the Aurus on the Stiga Contra myself back in January and there's never been a hint of that starting to come off - just wish I could trim rubbers a bit more neatly !

Pnachtwey
10-23-2014, 10:44 PM
I use Elmer's RC for Chinese rubbers. I use Tear Mender on those that require a water based glue.

rycyt
10-24-2014, 03:57 PM
I had this with the last bat I got the store to do for me ( my secondary for the last few months ). I honestly don't think the store used enough glue; I used my Butterfly Free Chack to glue down the bits that started peeling, and they stayed where they were put after that. On the other hand I put the Aurus on the Stiga Contra myself back in January and there's never been a hint of that starting to come off - just wish I could trim rubbers a bit more neatly !
Ahh, so basically you just put a bit of glue where there is separation?

superloop73
10-24-2014, 04:47 PM
I use Donic Vario...good quality...easy to peel off the rubber...u can try it.

John18
03-25-2015, 03:05 PM
I have a question. If you use speed glue just to attach the rubbers to the blade just once (the first time). Will that affect the rubbers if we wait few days with the rubbers on the blade ? In others words, can we use speed glue like normal VOC glue just to assemble the bat and play normally after the effects are gone after few days ?
Apparently, it's OK to do that but I'd like to be sure. I've never used speed glue before.
Thanks.

UpSideDownCarl
03-25-2015, 10:46 PM
Well, speed glue makes the sponge expand. Then you cut the rubber onto the blade and the rubber has expanded several mm larger than it would be. Then the speed glue wears off and the sponge shrinks back to the normal size and you have a rubber glued onto your blade that is too small for the blade.

Aside from that, it would be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John18
03-25-2015, 11:09 PM
Ok thanks for the answer !

UpSideDownCarl
03-26-2015, 12:38 AM
You are welcome. I guess there is one other thing. Expanding the sponge does usually make the rubber play better while the sponge is expanded. But when it shrinks back to normal size, because it has been stretched out and then the tension has been released, it plays a little more dead because the rubber will not have as much tension as it had before the sponge expanded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John18
03-26-2015, 09:53 AM
Yes, it's an old can of speed glue because I don't have normal glue anymore but it's just to attach some cheap rubbers to a cheap blade so I'll give it a try. I'll try not to put too much layers on the rubbers. Thanks.

Olio
03-26-2015, 11:50 AM
Two things here:

1) the use of speed glue to glue your rubbers on your bat is banned by the ITTF, even if you let it rest (3.02.04: Racket coverings can only be attached to the racket blade with adhesives that do not contain harmful volatile solvents). Although I personally don't care (see point below)

2) I actually use speed glue on some rubbers when they have shrunk. You buy them, glue them with WBG, cut them, and when you want to transfer them or if they need re-glueing, they're too small. I use speed glue then to expand BACK to their initial size. Works a treat.

Tinykin
03-26-2015, 02:36 PM
Olio, what do you understand from ITTF technical leaflet number 4 dated Sept 2014

"3.1.
Solvents
Manufacturers should expose rackets or sandwich rubber combinations to air before packing them
to remove volatile solvents which they utilise during their processes players should similarly air their
rackets for up to 72 hours in order to remove the solvents left over from the production process or
their own gluing".

Olio
03-26-2015, 03:09 PM
I guess this is because...

"The presence of VOCs was noted even when water-based glues were used."
http://tabletennisengland.co.uk/our-sport/our-sport-subpages/rules-regulations/racket-testing-control/

Unsure whether that means they found VOC in glues, or that's the VOC from the rubbers (or boosters)

Tinykin
03-26-2015, 09:44 PM
To me T4 acknowledges that the rule is not practicable or enforceable both for technical and other reasons. The ITTF is asking for players to go with the spirit.
So basically glue with rubber cement, or WBG, or even VOC (non-speed glue) as long as it would pass the VOC test in theory. I say theory as I haven't seen a VOC tester at any English tournament for a few years, even at the nationals.
Personally, I don't think any player is using old-style speed glue. Boosters, yes, but not sg.
I don't boost but I still use an old can of VOC normal glue that I had from before the ban. I do this as I believe that WBG is harmful to the wood over the long term.
BTW, all my blades are over 30 years old.

Tanner Carizey
03-26-2016, 03:08 AM
Isn't this stuff really thick? I've thought about using it but I don't know if i trust it. Would you apply it just like free chack?