Review:Stiga 2000 Championship Model + Yasaka Mark V

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
Its been a while since I used this setup,but I have the fortune of having played with this beauty setup through my initial years as a table tennis player.I would like to share my thoughts with all.

Blade:Stiga 2000 Championship Model
Speed: ALL
5 ply
Stiffness:Flexible
Handle:Anatomic

Rubbers:Yasaka Mark V

I will use this thread to discuss the different aspects of this setup,includind speed,spin,control and the type of player it will be suited for(if you can get your hands on 1 of these classics)

General overview of the setup:
This blade was purchased by my dad in the 80's and to this day still plays well(unfortunately was damaged on the side by my small brother banging it on the table). The combination of the blade and rubbers synchronises perflectly,as the Mark V is the actual factory rubber that was on the blade.(it was replaced when finished). It is the perfect beginners setup,as well as advanced/intermediate players that like an allround game. This setup is a jack of all trades,from defensive play to offensive play.

Game situations:

Serve:this setup can generate a large amount of spin on serves,as the blade provides excellent ball feel and the rubber dwell time.
Serve receive:With this setup,I was able to return every ball where i wanted it.The rubber is slightly sensitive to spin,but if you master the art of reading spin,you will have no problem with receiving the ball comfortably.Flicking backspin serves is a dream,as well as chopping.This setup did not have a high throw,so returns could be just above the net.

Topspin to topspin:
Close to table:this setup shines in this department.the control of the Mark V combined with the blade provides a person the ability to place the ball exactly where he/she wants it with ease. it is not super fast,but when called for,the Mark V can change gears to be a the perfect weapon,from touch shots to smashing.
Away from the table:it gets difficult as you step away from the table,as the setup is not super fast,it gives the opponent enough time to act and return the ball.
Smashing:the rubber has gears to play soft touch shots or smash the ball decently well,as it is not a super fast setup.

Conclusion:this setup is perfect for beginners or intermediate players who are looking for a controllable setup that is not a speed freak.It does lack speed for the modern day fast game,but then its an allround blade.it also provides excellent 'ball feel',ideal for a beginner.

My advice:if you can get your hands on this blade,dont hesitate.buy it.it can always come to good use.it is also a collectable item.