PDA

View Full Version : Zhang Jike fined 45.000 euros!

TTHopeful
10-26-2014, 05:32 PM
Well done to Zhang Jike today, very good winning the final but what did you all think of him kicking and ripping up the barriers at the end?

Breaking News: Zhang Jike will not receive any prize money (45,000 euros) as a punishment for destroying the barriers after his victory against Ma Long.

What do you think? Should Zhang Jike receive the prize money?

You can see at the end of these highlights by TTLondon2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA9lJblhyws

Zhang Jike expressed, "I am very sorry for what I did, it was not acceptable behaviour and I am sorry"

elrigo99
10-26-2014, 05:51 PM
I don't mind if he destroys everything after a match, to me it isn't a problem at all. It isn't bad sportsmanship, he just had to release his tension after having all that pressure on him. Also, this is his unique way of celebrating.

Edit: What?!? They seriously took USD45'000 from him for this? No way! I absolutely don't agree with this decision!

ping fun
10-26-2014, 06:00 PM
Breaking News: Zhang Jike will
receive NO prize money as
punishment for kicking the
barriers
after his Men's #ITTFWorldCup
victory. well its unfair . its good to show emotions . if not there wont be any spectator....

sriver_fx
10-26-2014, 06:02 PM
I don't mind if he destroys everything after a match, to me it isn't a problem at all. It isn't bad sportsmanship, he just had to release his tension after having all that pressure on him. Also, this is his unique way of celebrating.

I agree with you totally.

vvk1
Bulls**t. He is supposed to be a role model for kids all over the world. ITTF and the Chinese TT federation should suspend him for an indefinite term for such behaviour.

ZJK-Fan
I have the same opinion as @elrigo99 as well

zachkinjo
I feel that he was just in the moment of passion and energy. Granted it was pretty random. I thought maybe he mistimed his jump over the barrier at first. I still think taking away all of his prize money is a little bit excessive. I can understand a fine, but taking away all of his prize money is just too much. I also think he did that because throughout the whole tournament, not many believed in him and that he wasn't a world class Table Tennis player anymore. Maybe it was a sign to those naysayers that he still has it in him to compete with the best!

Butt Stallion
10-26-2014, 06:06 PM
Breaking News: Zhang Jike will not receive any prize money (45,000 euros) as a punishment for destroying the barriers after his victory against Ma Long.

Is this confirmed and official??

elrigo99
10-26-2014, 06:11 PM
Bulls**t. He is supposed to be a role model for kids all over the world. ITTF and the Chinese TT federation should suspend him for an indefinite term for such behaviour.

He ain't no babysitter, he's a World Champion whose whole prize has been taken away because of two broken barriers... Seriously ITTF? Do they need to take FOURTYFIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS from him?

pong4lyfe
10-26-2014, 06:15 PM
BS. What he did was extreme and over the top, but he adds excitement to the sport. He adds color and emotions. It was his way of expressing is feelings. His level has been questioned for so much, and now he has finally proven himself yet again. And how much did those barriers cost? $200 max. If anything, fine him that much or a bit more.

ZJK-Fan
10-26-2014, 06:16 PM
I believe it s not the ittf, i think it s the organizer

TTHopeful
10-26-2014, 06:24 PM
Is this confirmed and official??

Yes confirmed on ITTF Facebook profile.

Old School
10-26-2014, 06:25 PM
I was WTF!? when he kicked the barriers. It was really not a move we should have to see from the champion.
I totally agree on a fine for kicking the barrier but 45k Euro is a bit over the top IMO.

jeycop
10-26-2014, 06:26 PM
I don't think two barriers costs 45 000€ :p

ZJK-Fan
10-26-2014, 06:27 PM
I believe it s not the ittf, i think it s the organizer
I was false, it s the ittf !

Der_Echte
10-26-2014, 06:34 PM
ITTF is gunna grow the TV audience (and ad revenue) through this and things like this...

On one side, you gotta say you gotta stop (wrong) behavior like this, but on the other hand, look who is going to profit more?

Tinykin
10-26-2014, 06:47 PM
Jeez! The ITTF must be on a money saving drive.......I say no more

jedimasterplk
10-26-2014, 06:51 PM
Completely disproportionate punishment. A fine would have been appropriate. Not a good decision imho.

promicinalcplus
10-26-2014, 06:52 PM
and u should b suspended for life from writing posts in sport sites coz u OBVIOUSLY have no clue what u r talking about and r no athlete... ;-)

promicinalcplus
10-26-2014, 06:53 PM
and u should b suspended for life from writing posts in sport sites coz u OBVIOUSLY have no clue what u r talking about and r no athlete... ;-)

Jayeshnandode
10-26-2014, 06:54 PM
Agreed that he might have been under a lot of stress /pressure, but that doesn't warrant Zhang Jike's behavior. These guys are international level players and very well trained to handle pressure. Look at JO, Boll, Mizutani... they are so calm and composed.

However fine of €45000 is too much. He should have been charged upto 50%o of the prize money.
I'm sure that the Chinese coach or respective authorities will take severe punitive action against such erratic behavior of Zhang Jike.

jedimasterplk
10-26-2014, 06:56 PM

Who is that post aimed at Mr Greek? how do you know that whoever you are writing about is no athlete?? and even if they are not - on this forum, and in civilised society, everyone is entitled to, and has a right to voice an opinion, a concept that is clearly alien to you ;)

LuchoSanchz
10-26-2014, 07:01 PM
I am so agree about that punishment. He is a great champion player but he always has to consider that children around the world will imitate his behavior. That is not good at all for our amazing sport!.

promicinalcplus
10-26-2014, 07:03 PM
Who is that post aimed at Mr Greek? how do you know that whoever you are writing about is no athlete?? and even if they are not - on this forum, and in civilised society, everyone is entitled to, and has a right to voice an opinion, a concept that is clearly alien to you ;)
o great,another racist...
by the way i was born and grew up in germany,very close 2 the stadium they played ;-)
no athlete would say something like that,i m an athlete and i know ,thats y...
coz if u r a professional athlete u know what is going on inside those guy's head,its crazy pressure u have 2 handle...
the reply was aimed at a guy who said that jike shouldt b suspended for infinite time from playing!!!!lol no athlete would say that...
i didnt like it either what he did,but hey,he didnt insult or hurt any1!!if u take those lines then u have 2 do the same for all players who behave like that!!!
michael maze wouldnt b playing decades ago if people like this guy here would rule...
of course he is entitled 2 his opinion,and i stated mine,simple as that...a racists talking about civilized society calling me mr greek trying 2 hurt my feelings?obviously ur brain cant handle 2 much info so u surely dodnt know that greeks brought democracy 2 the world,but thats ok,dont try 2 think 2 much coz it might hurt ur monkeybrain...
oh,and by the way,i dont like it either what greek politicians have done 2 the country,so i guess we agree on that at least ;-)

jedimasterplk
10-26-2014, 07:10 PM
Wasnt being racist at all) and yes, am aware that Greece did a lot for democracy in human history) But I would also recommend you educate yourself by reading (Descartes for example), before suggesting people should not say things/express opinions (or be prevented from posting in sports forums) even if you disagree with them ;)

Butt Stallion
10-26-2014, 07:15 PM
The only thing I ask myself is: "What does kicking barriers has to do with the prize?" The money is for the winner, ZJK won so it's not correct. If ZJK would get a good lawyer, I think he would win this in front of the court. In case of punishment it should be something else like not allowed to play ITTF tournaments for 6 months for example. But not giving him the price money doesn't seem correct imo. Where is the proof he did this on purpose and it wasn't an accident? At least REAL judges should decide this and not some ITTF "managers"...

In fact ITTF is still a company which was making money with this tournament (otherwise they wouldn't have done it obviously) so just because someone doesn't behave correct in a business transaction (tournament with prize pool, winner gets it, simple contract) doesn't mean they do not give him what he deserves. I don't even wanna know how much people were getting exploited by ITTF like building the tournament and everything and getting paid like 8USD an hour and now ITTF wants to be the mother of morality? They gotta be kidding me.

ZJK should pay them these barriers and get a punishment in sort of a "not allowed to play anymore for a certain time" but everything else is compared what ITTF does every day just not right! And I am not defending ZJKs reaction here, I am just saying not giving him the prize as punishment is completely wrong!!!

promicinalcplus
10-26-2014, 07:15 PM
of course u were racist...addressing me by my nationality and making ironical statements about civilized society and stuff IS RACIST!!!
i dont have 2 educate myself by following hints of pseudophilosophers who use big names as if they know something about them or their theories...
u were being racist,i reacted on that,1:1,lets leave it 2 that and have peace :-)
as 2 the other guy,u can take it metaphorically as 2 i dont agree with his statement AT AAAAAAAAAAALLLL lmao
peace...

Mattis
10-26-2014, 07:18 PM
OFFTOPIC: Guys, can you private message each other and discuss this? Please not in this Thread or even in this Forum. I actually like this website because its NOT like every other Internet Forum.

After reading alot of comments and reflecting my own live reaction to this kind of celebration i'd say that a fine is okay but not that high! Im pretty sure he knew whats going to happen before he kicked the barriers, but maybe he didnt expect it this high. Otherwise it was pretty cool, entertaining and emotional. He shouldnt regret for being human.

DDF2
10-26-2014, 07:20 PM
Stop bitching boys and calm your tits.

On topic though this kind of behaviour is wrong and should be punished, but as many others already said 45k Euro is way too much.

vvk1
10-26-2014, 07:23 PM

Personal insults aside, I understand why any ZJK fan may want to find any excuse for calling such behaviour acceptable or "quirky" or "rebellious".

However, I firmly believe that great athletes - such as ZJK or ML or TB (or any other great athlete in any sport such as football or tennis, etc) - have a great responsibility to be role models.

ZJK could have thumped his fists into the air and torn his shirt to pieces to the delight of the spectators in the hall and everyone else watching online or via TV. He could have even done an "Adam Bobrow"-style dance. People would have loved this and joked about it forever.

However, he violently kicked and broke a barrier. Where is the limit for such "celebration"? Kicking and breaking a barrier is OK? How about kicking a table tennis table Shibaev-style? ZJK's leg strength probably exceeds that of Shibaev, so that would have been the end of that table Would have been acceptable as well? Maybe it is only when a player breaks 3 barriers?

Cool off and think about it.

ZJK
10-26-2014, 07:23 PM
The punishment is just a joke.. Sport needs emotions that is what specators want to see.
Maybe ittf can invest the 45.000€ in a new camera, the quality of ittv is so poor!

jedimasterplk
10-26-2014, 07:25 PM
of course u were racist...addressing me by my nationality and making ironical statements about civilized society and stuff IS RACIST!!!
i dont have 2 educate myself by following hints of pseudophilosophers who use big names as if they know something about them or their theories...
u were being racist,i reacted on that,1:1,lets leave it 2 that and have peace :-)
as 2 the other guy,u can take it metaphorically as 2 i dont agree with his statement AT AAAAAAAAAAALLLL lmao
peace...

You are clearly emotionally and mentally retarded. Using words like 'monkey brain' clearly shows you up for what you are - a total idiot. Calling you Mr Greek was not racist, it simply acknowledges the country you yourself state you are from - on your profile. And yes, I do know a lot about philosophy ) and you clearly do not - if you did, you would respect, and even protect the other guys RIGHT to express his opinion, without telling him he 'should not post in sports forums'. Yes, I might have a 'monkey brain' in your opinion, but I wont waste any more seconds typing to an idiot who doesnt have ANY brain at all)

promicinalcplus
10-26-2014, 07:40 PM
Personal insults aside, I understand why any ZJK fan may want to find any excuse for calling such behaviour acceptable or "quirky" or "rebellious".

However, I firmly believe that great athletes - such as ZJK or ML or TB (or any other great athlete in any sport such as football or tennis, etc) - have a great responsibility to be role models.

ZJK could have thumped his fists into the air and torn his shirt to pieces to the delight of the spectators in the hall and everyone else watching online or via TV. He could have even done an "Adam Bobrow"-style dance. People would have loved this and joked about it forever.

However, he violently kicked and broke a barrier. Where is the limit for such "celebration"? Kicking and breaking a barrier is OK? How about kicking a table tennis table Shibaev-style? ZJK's leg strength probably exceeds that of Shibaev, so that would have been the end of that table Would have been acceptable as well? Maybe it is only when a player breaks 3 barriers?

Cool off and think about it.

i didnt say i liked what he did..the moment i saw it i thought 'WTF!!what is he doing??!thats stupid and only brings negative feelings towards him' but 2 say 'suspend him ' is xxxxxxxx if not worse!!!
he didnt hurt any1,he didnt insult any1,the match was over!he just made an ass out of himself and even broke the barrier of 1 of his sponsors!!!lol i guess thas y he looked twice at it,maybe thinking 'oh shit,didnt know it was DHS' LOL
i m a professional athlete and coach myself so i know whats going on,and i dont do such things (anymore) ,and also teach the kids 2 behave and not 2 freak out at the table... when the match is over,go 2 the dressing room and let ur anger out but not in front of all the people there...
but if a kid does that i would NEVER suspend him/her from playing except if i c that this kid is generally disturbed or aggressive etc etc

so once again,i didnt like it either but u cant suspend him for that coz he actually didnt do anything bad...
when players do this in games they get maybe the yellow card when they kick barriers or throw rackets and stuff like that...
and what role model?2 teach the kids a lie?that u r a machine and have no feelings?
where the line is?
the line is when u HURT some1!when i throw my racket and there is a chance 2 hit some1 and hurt that person!!something that is DANGEROUS 2 some1 elses health!!!or if i insult some1 really bad,him personally or racist comments...
but other than that u have no right 2 tell people how 2 behave and kind of 'role model' he or she should be...
jike behaved like a teenage monkey!!!!
lol it was stupid and people will like him less coz of this...

Dan
10-26-2014, 07:46 PM
Yes please keep on track with the topic or leave it to PM. Otherwise I will be forced to ban who appropriate to causing problems in the forum.

Does anyone know what happens in a similar incident in football? I think banning Zhang Jike for some matches like you get in football perhaps rather than taking prize money. Just interested in other sporting incidences.

promicinalcplus
10-26-2014, 07:47 PM
You are clearly emotionally and mentally retarded. Using words like 'monkey brain' clearly shows you up for what you are - a total idiot. Calling you Mr Greek was not racist, it simply acknowledges the country you yourself state you are from - on your profile. And yes, I do know a lot about philosophy ) and you clearly do not - if you did, you would respect, and even protect the other guys RIGHT to express his opinion, without telling him he 'should not post in sports forums'. Yes, I might have a 'monkey brain' in your opinion, but I wont waste any more seconds typing to an idiot who doesnt have ANY brain at all)

aaaaw really? is 166 IQ enough for u? trying 2 talk urself out of it? i have an id,a NAME !!!but u decided 2 overlook it and address my nationality,and thats RACIST!!!turn it any way u like,its racist!!!
and dont even try 2 get smart on me coz philosophy and spiritualityis not only something i know a lot about but ITS MY LIFE!!!and i can smell fakes like u 777 meters against the wind!!!
saying 'oh u should except an opinion' and then go off and attack me,even my race coz YOU dont like MY opinion?and then calling ME retarded?
u knocked at the wrong door my little brother,go play smart ass somewhere else,somewhere ur MAX average IQ has a chance of confusing people...

sunilcse04
10-26-2014, 07:50 PM
Well he dint abuse or Kill anyone.. only broke something wooden which can be replaced anytime without hurting any sentiments.. He should pay some fine but he deserves the win and the prize money !

elrigo99
10-26-2014, 07:51 PM
The money belongs to him, this is really injust. Like Butt Stallion said, what does the prize have to do with the circumnstances? Another thing I wanted to point out is that he WON the match. It would have been WAY worse if he had done it if he lost. This was not bad sportsmanship, this was a show. I was laughing so hard when he did it. In Shibaev's case that was a reaction to a point that he lost. I think this is a very important detail.

P.S. If I remember well, Jean-Michelle Saive broke a barrier too during an exibition point lol

JimmyButlerUSATABLETENNIS
10-26-2014, 07:53 PM
The ITTF should reconsider their decision. Perhaps a small fine could be warranted, although a warning to not destroy the barriers would be more reasonable. Taking a guys full prize money to the tune of 45k Euros for destroying two barriers in celebration is not only unreasonable, but unacceptable punishment.

If this is allowed to happen by the ITTF without a fight from the players association, then this sets a precedent that the ITTF can do what it wishes with player discipline. In the NBA or NFL the league announces that the fine will go to a charity....did the ITTF announce who will get the 45k Euros?

I liked the celebration after the win.....personally I felt the barrier kicks were the best part....I'm not a fan of watching athletes take their shirts off after a win, but I'm sure he has developed a female fan base In China that enjoys that part of his celebration. ;)

I do a lot of Table Tennis Highlight Videos, and I'm always looking for good emotion from players. Table Tennis needs emotion.

MEMO TO ITTF: If a player wins deuce in the 7th of the world cup, he just may get so excited that he breaks 2 cardboard barriers!

-Jimmy Butler

Alborz
10-26-2014, 08:01 PM
Imagine you were there instead of ZJK. After 3 years everyone say you: "You just won because you never faced Ma Long in major tournaments". And You have defeated Ma Long 4:3, 12:10 in the 7th set, at the final of the first Word Cup with new ball after an amazing match. What you will do then? I can really understand how he felt that time and his celebration is acceptable for me.

By the way, 45K euros is SO much for just kiking two barriers.

Cadoce
10-26-2014, 08:13 PM
His behaviour is not too much astonishing, personally I was just curious what he would do this time, rip his shirt (no, not again), forget the shakehand with Ma Long (no, not this time, after he won)... OK, I think the first kick was accidential, he just missed the jump, but in a second he found it funny so repeated it without thinking behaving like a stoned rock "star" destroying instruments on a concert. I was pitiful and a sign that despite his age he is still emotionally immature. And by the way it's also a sign that the legendary methods of the Chinese coaches - I refer namely to Liu's methods applied to ZJK - are not more than legends, as in the end they don't work very well. In my opinion a fine is OK, though it seems excessive, and anyway. I believe this time the Chinese coaches will find something more painful (but silent, as in China he is a national hero).

And though I'm a great fan of ZJK and value his playing style even more than ML's, I don't think he deserved to win this time. I don't want to spread any conspiracy theory :cool:, but it's a fact that in the past the Chinese coaches used to point the winner in all-Chinese finals, later on it was said that the players themselves decided on the basis of the third set etc. This time after the third set (!) I told my wife - look, now Ma will win 2 sets, then Zhang the sixth and after a close battle he will take the seventh. And indeed, though we've seen a lot of fine rallies, there were so too many (relatively) simple faults... and some of them in crucial moments. Can the plastic balls be blamed for all of them ?

Sure we will never learn, as perhaps all these reflections are nothing more than figments of an overheated imagination, but once the coach of our national team told us that Guo Yue Hua with whom he used to play in the same team in the 80-ies admitted after many years that some of his titles were just "given" to him.....

Well done to Zhang Jike today, very good winning the final but what did you all think of him kicking and ripping up the barriers at the end?

What do you think? Should Zhang Jike receive the prize money?

You can see at the end of these highlights by TTLondon2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA9lJblhyws

Zhang Jike expressed, "I am very sorry for what I did, it was not acceptable behaviour and I am sorry"

vvk1
10-26-2014, 08:14 PM
Jimmy, first many thanks for doing your video highlights - I've greatly enjoyed watching them on youtube.

However, while I agree with you that table tennis needs good emotion, this particular form of "emotion" is not "good". What if Kanak Jha had done something similar after winning the 2014 ITTF North America Cup - would you've still approved it? Would you really encourage and nod approvingly when little kids in the USA win a local tournament and then go and try to break some barriers while emulating their idol?

the_gift
10-26-2014, 08:23 PM
It's doesn't matter anymore, right ZJK or wrong, he got his punishment.
But organizers must make barriers unbreakable, from titanium or concrete :)

luqketti
10-26-2014, 08:24 PM
The money shouldnt be taken away from him because, there was no rule that said ripping your shirt off (as he did before) and breaking a stupid, next to nothing cost, advertising panel, was forbitten.

1st he should get a WARNING, that next time he does that, he wont receive any prize. If he does it again then suspention. Like Luis Suarez in football. Warning 1st, and 2nd time you do it punishment. Simple as that!

CroneOne
10-26-2014, 08:25 PM
I honestly didn't think they were made of breakable cardboard so it was a bit like 'wow' when they exploded. Destroying the arena's property in celebration - probably not the smartest thing to do. Too much of a punishment though. An apology and payment to replace the barriers is all that's needed.

It's passion and personalities that the sport needs to get audiences interested. It was fun to watch John McEnroe play tennis back in his days. He had attitude. A little bit of humour, anger, ego and quirky behavior in players is what people enjoy. "Character". TT can be pretty robotic sometimes. A little spice in the players can't hurt. Go ZJK!

the_gift
10-26-2014, 08:33 PM
It was fun to watch John McEnroe play tennis back in his days. He had attitude. A little bit of humour, anger, ego and quirky behavior in players is what people enjoy.
just follow the link, I don't know if it's true, quick googling.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/171029/FOR-THE-RECORD-MCENROES-TANTRUMS-AND-FINES.html?pg=all

SebaGO
10-26-2014, 08:38 PM
I think his behavior was not something you would expect from a PROFESSIONAL player. It's ok to release the tension and to show those who didn't believe in him that he could win, but still I think it's not an appropiate way to celebrate...

Pongfinity
10-26-2014, 08:46 PM
As I said earlier, those must have been the most expensive barriers ZJK has ever kicked/broke lol.

I see the both sides of this but I think the punishment is just too big. 45 000 (!) USD is a HUGE prize in table tennis and to take it ALL away is a little too much I think. Of course it was a bad gesture for all kids to see but to be honest TT needs players like ZJK and Maze who does the things in their way and are unique persons in their own way.

Btw, did you guys also notice Liu Guoliang whispering something to ZJK after the final (and the celebration)? He didn't talk with Ma Long at all, only with ZJK. He must have talked to ZJK about the celebration there. Idk what he told him though. Perhaps to refuse to take the prize money as to apologize for kicking the barriers?

Old School
10-26-2014, 08:56 PM
It's doesn't matter anymore, right ZJK or wrong, he got his punishment.
But organizers must make barriers unbreakable, from titanium or concrete :)

In mother Russia barriers break you! ;)

Greco
I was a little surprised to see that when watching the match. I didn't like to see that, but for me it's just a way to release tension, just an anecdotal thing nothing more.

Now, i'm more surprised with the punishment from the Ittf. What is the kind of lesson Zhang is givins us? I just enjoyed the match, maybe i'll practise how to serve like him, just that. I dont think anyone will start breaking things only because Zhang do it. I don't think it's good for the players to make them repress themselves.

It's a shame that some authorities sometimes seems to forget that pro players are just normal people (who just plays tt reallyy well). However, if it's ok or not what he did, i'm sure it's not a good way to solve it.

CroneOne
Ha ha. Ok McEnroe is a bit extreme and his outbreaks are usually anger driven and not celebration. But right there you see that ZJK is being fined almost the amount of McEnroe's whole career.

Pavol2223
10-26-2014, 09:07 PM
Oh well ,Some bight in Football, some kick down barriers in table tennis and one of them full of emotions :)

the_gift
10-26-2014, 09:20 PM
at first they drunk you out and then break you :)

dio_hgw
10-26-2014, 09:23 PM
I'm a major ZJK fan, but I agree with him being punished. Those actions should be discouraged. As for the kind and the size of the punishment he should get, I don't think that any of us can safely quantitate it.

sebas-aguirre
10-26-2014, 09:36 PM
it's odd the moment he chose to do this.
when you win a tournament you generally become super relaxed and all smiles.
not him, he was more furious than ever :D

TENERGY13
10-26-2014, 09:42 PM
I thought Zhang Jike would win, I'm sort of disappointed he did what he did. I think he deserved the win and played brilliantly. I don't really know what they should do, maybe a more fair punishment would be paying for any damages and getting only half the money.

TTFrenzy
10-26-2014, 09:55 PM
As I said earlier, those must have been the most expensive barriers ZJK has ever kicked/broke lol.

I see the both sides of this but I think the punishment is just too big. 45 000 (!) USD is a HUGE prize in table tennis and to take it ALL away is a little too much I think. Of course it was a bad gesture for all kids to see but to be honest TT needs players like ZJK and Maze who does the things in their way and are unique persons in their own way.
Btw, did you guys also notice Liu Guoliang whispering something to ZJK after the final (and the celebration)? He didn't talk with Ma Long at all, only with ZJK. He must have talked to ZJK about the celebration there. Idk what he told him though. Perhaps to refuse to take the prize money as to apologize for kicking the barriers?

Were you inside the stadium and saw that? I think he did talked to ma long and comfort him, in the live streaming he talks to ZJK and then walks towards ma long but then the camera changes. So im not 100% sure if he did talk to ML after the game. Anyway even if he didnt at that point LGL always has a small talk with his players after a big loss in tournaments. I dont thinkg LGL favors specific players, he just let them fight to the death :P

TTFrenzy
10-26-2014, 10:04 PM
His behaviour is not too much astonishing, personally I was just curious what he would do this time, rip his shirt (no, not again), forget the shakehand with Ma Long (no, not this time, after he won)... OK, I think the first kick was accidential, he just missed the jump, but in a second he found it funny so repeated it without thinking behaving like a stoned rock "star" destroying instruments on a concert. I was pitiful and a sign that despite his age he is still emotionally immature. And by the way it's also a sign that the legendary methods of the Chinese coaches - I refer namely to Liu's methods applied to ZJK - are not more than legends, as in the end they don't work very well. In my opinion a fine is OK, though it seems excessive, and anyway. I believe this time the Chinese coaches will find something more painful (but silent, as in China he is a national hero).

And though I'm a great fan of ZJK and value his playing style even more than ML's, I don't think he deserved to win this time. I don't want to spread any conspiracy theory :cool:, but it's a fact that in the past the Chinese coaches used to point the winner in all-Chinese finals, later on it was said that the players themselves decided on the basis of the third set etc. This time after the third set (!) I told my wife - look, now Ma will win 2 sets, then Zhang the sixth and after a close battle he will take the seventh. And indeed, though we've seen a lot of fine rallies, there were so too many (relatively) simple faults... and some of them in crucial moments. Can the plastic balls be blamed for all of them ?

Sure we will never learn, as perhaps all these reflections are nothing more than figments of an overheated imagination, but once the coach of our national team told us that Guo Yue Hua with whom he used to play in the same team in the 80-ies admitted after many years that some of his titles were just "given" to him.....

I would like to know why they were given to him, provide the story please if u know . Such kind of info is always great :)

In modern era table tennis I dont think the chinese fix the matches cause I dont see the need on doing so. Besides if they did, they would give MaLong or Ma lin a world champioship title they have a bigger fanbase than Wang Hao or Wang Liqin. Its boring to see WLQ and ZJK winning 2 consecutive world titles and its bad for the promotion of the sport

TTHopeful
10-26-2014, 10:06 PM
Does anyone know what happens in a similar incident in football? I think banning Zhang Jike for some matches like you get in football perhaps rather than taking prize money. Just interested in other sporting incidences.

Hi dan, Serena won this event and broke her raquet on route and nothing happened to her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVlocQNTrfM#t=19

raazzz
10-26-2014, 10:08 PM
I think it was a bit to much to destroy two barriers, but I still prefer to see some emotions and reactions after a win! Hate when people are winning something big without showing some happiness! I think it's wrong not giving him the prize money, I mean he just couldn't control the adrenaline after the win, he is only human.

raazzz
10-26-2014, 10:15 PM
Hi dan, Serena won this event and broke her raquet on route and nothing happened to her.

Wow that escalated quickly!

Dan
10-26-2014, 10:18 PM

Wow that was in the first set to! :)

wilfred888
10-26-2014, 10:43 PM
Yeah kids are totally gonna break barriers when they win games, just like they followed ZJK after ZJK won his first titles and ripped their shirts off too :P

ZED
10-26-2014, 10:53 PM
Well if you think about it, I'm pretty sure the 45.000 euros doesnt mean a lot to ZJK; he makes so much thru sponsorship already and other tournaments (for example Dubai).

Maybe LGL did tell ZJK to surrender the prize money in sportsmanship?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baal
10-26-2014, 11:05 PM
I think it is theft; 45000 fine for that!!!!! Absurd. People wonder why players have no respect for ITTF.

GiorgosTT
10-26-2014, 11:10 PM
Hey, i think TableTennisDaily should run a competition of "Do the Zhang Jike!" in the spirit of "Do the Rumgay"!

Guys, record yourselves winning a game, then smashing anything in sight!

Winner will receive a limited edition Butterfly Zhang Jike Super ZLC blade (broken in pieces!)

Baal
10-26-2014, 11:10 PM
I am very cool about this (in reply to whoever it was who said to cool down and think about this). I consider that the ITTF response is so ridiculously disproportionate that it comprises the sports administration equivalent of kicking barriers. In other words, the leadership of the ITTF lost their cool and took all his prize money. This degree of fine and punishment is truly unjust. And given some of what the ITTF has done in recent years, one wonders if it is corrupt.

TTFrenzy
10-26-2014, 11:19 PM
I am very cool about this (in reply to whoever it was who said to cool down and think about this). I consider that the ITTF response is so ridiculously disproportionate that it comprises the sports administration equivalent of kicking barriers. In other words, the leadership of the ITTF lost their cool and took all his prize money. This degree of fine and punishment is truly unjust. And given some of what the ITTF has done in recent years, one wonders if it is corrupt.

Well every big organization is corrupt one way or another. TMS international is shararah's company (the company who broadcasts all the world tours for those who dont know it yet...now you know it !)

And we all witnessed that the husband of the woman who patented the new plastic ball was a member of the ITTF commitee

Der_Echte
10-26-2014, 11:31 PM
ZJK tryin' to be epic like Jimmy Hendrix, but in 2014, it is WAY harder to do something that hasn't ever been done since we humans have lived a very long time.

Later, this guitar auctioned for a ridiculous sum that would make Ur head spin.

sunilcse04
10-26-2014, 11:44 PM
Personally I feel this seems to be a plot from the Sponsor.. It seems they own ITTF' back.. Otherwise it makes no sense on holding his prize money for breaking some worthless barriers that too after the match ! Crap.. am going mad now and gonna break my Laptop.. Hope Lenovo wont blacklist me from buying their products ! :D

GiorgosTT
10-26-2014, 11:57 PM
I agree that we need character in sports, but i'd take Robredo's reaction in defeat rather than Zhang Jike's reaction in victory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbKXDGjHL5o

(For the history, Robredo lost his second consecutive final to Murray, having blown away 5 match points in each!)

As for those who say that Serena broke her racket and nothing happened to her, i thing there's a difference..
Tennis players break their rackets in frustration, blaming themselves mostly, while Zhang Jike had a "you didn't think i could win but i won and you can all **** off" kinda attitude. Obviously there was a lot of pressure on him, but i think it was an overreaction there.

Then the Ittf overreacted themselves, not necessarily by the amount of the fine, but by relating the fine with the winnings of the tournament, which is plainly wrong. Either disqualify the guy and give first place and prize money to Ma Long (that would be totally unacceptable in my opinion), or grant him first place prize, then issue him a fine and a carefully worded warning (that is the course of action i think should be taken).

Anyway, i think that with the importance that the Chinese are giving to respect and honour, Zhang Jike will face a more severe punishment from within the CNT, something that we may never hear about.

SpinQuark
10-27-2014, 12:17 AM
I think the ITTF have dealt with this poorly:

Competition is ultimately all about emotion. The ability to control your emotions, to withstand great pressure, to remain able to function despite your emotions. This is why we all love sport so much because in the end, like life, it is played in the mind. It is not surprising to see emotion burst out when the tension of that control is released by victory and sometimes in unexpected ways. I recall Jack Nicklaus throwing his putter high into the air after the final putt and then looking up and ducking in worry about where it would fall and that man has been one of the greatest sportsmen by conduct, even without his achievements. So let's not see the ability to celebrate emotionally ground out of the sport.

By rushing into Judgement the ITTF have (1) made the story about the celebration incident when it should have been about the event, the sport, and the sportsmen and (2) chosen to poor cold water onto the winners enjoyment seemingly before he has even left the stadium and (3) chosen to act in haste and repent at leisure. This has only been exacerbated by their decision to make the punishment relate directly to the competition prize itself which creates the feeling that they are trying to strip the winner of their win altogether and humiliate them.

I might have expected something more akin to an announcement that the ITTF would be considering the destruction of the barriers w.r.t. the sports code of conduct at a meeting to be held shortly. Zhang Jike having been advised of this before it was announced. This would have allowed him/China to speak of it at the press conference which I presume follows these events - apologising and accepting that the ITTF would review it. A few days later the ITTF could announce a fine of a certain amount with no direct relation with the prize money. Sportsman respected, professional standards upheld, PR managed. Or am I missing something?

Tinykin
10-27-2014, 12:38 AM
You've said it all, and so eloquently.

Shiro
10-27-2014, 12:58 AM
I also agree with the ittf. That is just ridiculous. 45,000 euros for what? only pieces of card board/foarm that are painted? Zhang jike should still get the money but be forced to pay for some of the damage he caused. He only destroyed 2 pieces of cardboard

TTFrenzy
10-27-2014, 01:23 AM
Guys relax we are talking more about the celebration and less about the game itself. I dont think it matters anymore, Im sure ZJK doesnt give a f*** about it since 45000 $ is small amount of money, considering that in china he made commercials with big mobile phone companies and coca cola...the ittf overreacted but no harm done in the end

skyea
10-27-2014, 01:34 AM
It's US$45,000 from http://www.allabouttabletennis.com/world-cup-2014.html

juliotakeuchi
10-27-2014, 01:40 AM
Terrible decision by the ITTF, they had to charged him the broken barriers and make him to do some special work on behalf of the federation like sports workshops in schools or something like that, i think this decision is only to save money....

MegaZZ
10-27-2014, 02:42 AM
I think everybody has already made the pertinent points:

1. Zhang Jike should get some sort of either warning and/or financial punishment.
2. A formal process should be in place like a committee with different parties (which I doubt occurred), but I think 45, 000 Euro is clearly over the top and what does it really have to do with his prize money? It seems the figure 45,000 Euro was chosen precisely because it was the prize money and not because the figure matches to the penalty for this particular type of bad behaviour.
3. I believe the following is a good idea, a financial penalty (say 1000-5000 USD) and warning that similar behaviour in the future would result in temporary suspension next time (something like 3-6 month ban). I am sure ZJK would be a lot more worried about a potential ban rather than 45,000 USD...

However, as a final remark I do think ZJK won precisely because of his "beast" psychology (which was so destructive when vented), actually Ma Long does need this, its his final hurdle and not because of technical issues (although I am sure he will never do something so destructive, at least not in public).

Also I have heard before that ZJK ripped off the shirt first time back in WTTC in 2012 after beating Wang Hao in the finals because the chinese team didn't believe he could do it, afterwards he received serious punishment within the team as actually the shirt has chinese flag and well lets say ripping apart chinese flag in public is not taken lightly by the chinese sporting committee. Lets hope though that the punishments (for there will be punishments within the CNT for sure) are more appropriate for ZJK's sake

Greco
10-27-2014, 03:23 AM
Talking about the shirt, a different thing happened here when a player did this. A Tenis player, Berlocq did this when defeated Kohlschreiber in the Davis Cup:
(It was a very important point, and the german player was the favorite)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq75WikoOBM

Obviously, nobody took it like an offense, in fact, he has done it a few more times.
I suppose Zhang will recibe some kind of punishment from the Ctta for this, it's not easy to understand for me, our cultures are so different.

Baal
10-27-2014, 03:51 AM
I think the ITTF have dealt with this poorly:

Competition is ultimately all about emotion. The ability to control your emotions, to withstand great pressure, to remain able to function despite your emotions. This is why we all love sport so much because in the end, like life, it is played in the mind. It is not surprising to see emotion burst out when the tension of that control is released by victory and sometimes in unexpected ways. I recall Jack Nicklaus throwing his putter high into the air after the final putt and then looking up and ducking in worry about where it would fall and that man has been one of the greatest sportsmen by conduct, even without his achievements. So let's not see the ability to celebrate emotionally ground out of the sport.

By rushing into Judgement the ITTF have (1) made the story about the celebration incident when it should have been about the event, the sport, and the sportsmen and (2) chosen to poor cold water onto the winners enjoyment seemingly before he has even left the stadium and (3) chosen to act in haste and repent at leisure. This has only been exacerbated by their decision to make the punishment relate directly to the competition prize itself which creates the feeling that they are trying to strip the winner of their win altogether and humiliate them.

I might have expected something more akin to an announcement that the ITTF would be considering the destruction of the barriers w.r.t. the sports code of conduct at a meeting to be held shortly. Zhang Jike having been advised of this before it was announced. This would have allowed him/China to speak of it at the press conference which I presume follows these events - apologising and accepting that the ITTF would review it. A few days later the ITTF could announce a fine of a certain amount with no direct relation with the prize money. Sportsman respected, professional standards upheld, PR managed. Or am I missing something?

This is exactly correct, well stated. As it is now, ITTF are guilty of the same thing he is, which is reacting inappropriately in the aftermath of a big event. It also evinces no respect for the players and what they go through. And $45,000 for what he did is simply unjust. Consider the fines levied in other sports for things a lot worse than this and to me it seems pretty obvious.

Iczy
10-27-2014, 03:56 AM
The opinion on this topic will surely be divided into two extremes.
On one hand, he did a good job and by his nature, that is his way of expressing himself. (The outcome-is-all-important view)
On the other hand, he displayed violent behavior, not proper for a professional athete, let alone a grand-slam champion. You don't want everyone emulating him from now on. It would be pure chaos if anyone can destroy anything in the arena if he can afford to pay for the damage. (The means-is-all-importan view)

Rajah*
10-27-2014, 04:06 AM
Well in my opinion..
A price money is "a price money for the champion" what ever happens and who ever is the winner,it should be given!
Diciplinary actions due to misbehaving attitude should be given should be implemented.. but you have to give the price money.

But also in my honest opinion zjk doesnt need that price perhaps.. whats impt to him is that he is the world champion of the new era polyball

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

K A Smith
10-27-2014, 04:15 AM
For any of the many ZJK fanboys saying that there is absolutely nothing wrong with breaking barriers after a match... Are you out of your mind? Yes it is a huge moment for him, but he didn't just do it once.. he did it twice! Someone at the top of any sport has to show restraint... Celebrate, but celebrate respectfully.

I get and support the argument for how 45,000 fine is excessive... it definitely is, but there still needs to be some sort of fine/punishment.

On a second point, imagine how Ma Long feels when he looks up and ZJK is doing that... It is such poor sportsmanship to his fellow teammate, and to be showing the youth.

ZJK is an amazing player, but he is too arrogant for me.

Baal
10-27-2014, 04:20 AM
For any of the many ZJK fanboys saying that there is absolutely nothing wrong with breaking barriers after a match... Are you out of your mind? Yes it is a huge moment for him, but he didn't just do it once.. he did it twice! Someone at the top of any sport has to show restraint... Celebrate, but celebrate respectfully.

I get and support the argument for how 45,000 fine is excessive... it definitely is, but there still needs to be some sort of fine/punishment.

On a second point, imagine how Ma Long feels when he looks up and ZJK is doing that... It is such poor sportsmanship to his fellow teammate, and to be showing the youth.

I am not sure I have read any comments like that (didn't read the whole thread though). I think there have been a lot of nuanced comments that basically come down to the idea that some punishment would be certainly warranted, but that $45,000 was ridiculous. I could even imagine a suspension for awhile, or a smaller fine. To just take away the man's entire winnings is just not right. Also, who is going to get it? ITTF is going to keep it? Hmmmmmmmmmmm.....

KM1976
10-27-2014, 05:07 AM
I think a fine of reasonable amount should have been imposed. Taking the complete prize amount is totally insane. However, this display of emotions should not be allowed since this is not true sportsmanship in my humble opinion.

Irkutt
10-27-2014, 05:31 AM
OFFTOPIC: Guys, can you private message each other and discuss this? Please not in this Thread or even in this Forum. I actually like this website because its NOT like every other Internet Forum.

First of all I absolutely agree with the above quoted statement. The forum has got tens of thousands of members from all over the world. And with all its audience it shows a vivid regular communication, exchange of opinions and experience with good level of mutual respect which surprises and gladdens me as forums sometimes are full of bad stuff. We are all united by the same passion here Table Tennis. I hope you Dan, your team and we all will keep that level otherwise such hot topics may lead to this:

at first they drunk you out and then break you :)

Talking about ZJK's behavior - a kind of punishment should have been implemented anyway but not such a high sum and not related to prize money. But honestly speaking I don't believe in genuineness of all this. DRAMA is needed because there's no drama now in terms of big tt titles. So the Drama s been done.

Mink2
10-27-2014, 06:10 AM
IMO, it was not right for him to kick the barriers as it's not sportsmanlike, but to find him that much is accessive. :(

underlaydisk
10-27-2014, 06:20 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RN82Tz8EkM

and yet tere's a seperate video of his celebration uploaded from the ittf. and the title is not 'zhang jike inappropriate celebration. hmmmm

mahomedy13
10-27-2014, 06:36 AM
ITTF is absurd!

ChangZhang
10-27-2014, 07:03 AM
I think fining Zhang Jike was the right move. It acts as a message/warning from ITTF to other players that this kind of behaviour won't be accepted.

Aside from that, Zhang Jike is a badass.

mahomedy13
10-27-2014, 07:24 AM
I think fining Zhang Jike was the right move. It acts as a message/warning from ITTF to other players that this kind of behaviour won't be accepted.

Aside from that, Zhang Jike is a badass.

But do you agree with that price?

Pongfinity
10-27-2014, 07:53 AM
Were you inside the stadium and saw that? I think he did talked to ma long and comfort him, in the live streaming he talks to ZJK and then walks towards ma long but then the camera changes. So im not 100% sure if he did talk to ML after the game. Anyway even if he didnt at that point LGL always has a small talk with his players after a big loss in tournaments. I dont thinkg LGL favors specific players, he just let them fight to the death :P

That's what I was wondering when watching the live stream. He shouldn't favor any player but when the final had ended he went to ZJK and whispered something to him and then just went to ML and clapped him quickly as a comfort and went away. Then a few mins later when ZJK was about to move to the award ceremony LGL was again talking quite intensively to ZJK about something. I'm quite sure that they talked about the celebration. This 45 000 dollar fine might have been compromised between ITTF and Chinese Table Tennis Federation. I'm sure CTTF didn't see the celebration as a good thing for the sport so it could have been a good compromise to make ZJK lose his prize money and apologize what happened, who knows..

M51
10-27-2014, 08:23 AM
ITTF is a bunch of degenerates that haven't done ANYTHING that's in our sport's best interest for over a decade. ZJK is a pro, he earned this money. I'd take those pieces of shit to court if I were him.

Aleksandar
10-27-2014, 09:21 AM
It was lovely Sunday afternoon, watching the final with my 3-yr old kid...and suddenly a shock..violence..destroying...I had to switch the channel immediately. Shame on you ZJK.

Rajah*
10-27-2014, 09:34 AM
Rubbish just bcoz zjk kicked the barriers you already labeled him violent? How how the hell would a 3yr old kid understand the game of pingpong? Hahahahaha your post is hilarious

Rajah*
10-27-2014, 09:40 AM
Zjk earned that price rightfully given to him! For those of you who say that it should not be given to him as price well its a clear violation of the rule..
Sanction or suspension or fine is right as a disiplinary action.. the decision of ittf as a body not awarding the price to the champ is completely rubbish

Tinykin
10-27-2014, 09:49 AM
For any of the many ZJK fanboys saying that there is absolutely nothing wrong with breaking barriers after a match... .

Talk about overeaction. What about yours? Name the posters that said this. Come on...name them.

MV_Smoove_BHD
10-27-2014, 10:17 AM

There should be a fine, in the worst case a ban for two tournaments would be enough in my estimation.
You said he is arrogant. I wouldn't say he is arrogant but controversial.
If I had to name a sports-personality from a different sport I have to take Allen Iverson, who had a lot of critics, but in the end, when it mattered he showed his skills at the biggest stage like ZJK does.
And every sport needs their "Enfant terribles", if it hasn't, people won't watch that certain sport. Or why do you think F1 became so popular. Because Senna and Prost, who had two completely different types of character, would go at each other all the time.

TTHopeful
10-27-2014, 10:34 AM
On the funny side:

Picture by facebook profile: MrThePortal

http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6596&stc=1

underlaydisk
10-27-2014, 10:43 AM
mybe it's the national version with blue cardboard 8|

Rajah*
10-27-2014, 10:43 AM
Hahaha good one

the_gift
10-27-2014, 11:01 AM
ZJK just presented to ITTF 2368.42 new barriers (45000:19=2368.42) :)

MegaZZ
10-27-2014, 11:24 AM
That's what I was wondering when watching the live stream. He shouldn't favor any player but when the final had ended he went to ZJK and whispered something to him and then just went to ML and clapped him quickly as a comfort and went away. Then a few mins later when ZJK was about to move to the award ceremony LGL was again talking quite intensively to ZJK about something. I'm quite sure that they talked about the celebration. This 45 000 dollar fine might have been compromised between ITTF and Chinese Table Tennis Federation. I'm sure CTTF didn't see the celebration as a good thing for the sport so it could have been a good compromise to make ZJK lose his prize money and apologize what happened, who knows..

I am originally from China and I suspect that actually the idea of giving up 45,000 Euros could possibly have come from Liu Guoliang and ZJK would have agreed because actually if ITTF didn't take the prize money away probably the CNT would have, China is all about public image and well ZJK really did a poor job there. This way Liu Guoliang will find a way to calm things down and it will be work out better long term for ZJK. As I remarked before 45,000 euros is already way over the top, I hope CNT doesn't impose more hefty penalties and importantly ZJK has also learned his lesson.

Pongfinity
10-27-2014, 11:29 AM
I am originally from China and I suspect that actually the idea of giving up 45,000 Euros could possibly have come from Liu Guoliang and ZJK would have agreed because actually if ITTF didn't take the prize money away probably the CNT would have, China is all about public image and well ZJK really did a poor job there. This way Liu Guoliang will find a way to calm things down and it will be work out better long term for ZJK. As I remarked before 45,000 euros is already way over the top, I hope CNT doesn't impose more hefty penalties and importantly ZJK has also learned his lesson.

Yep, I agree. I'm quite sure LGL was proposing and making the decision about the fine.

Pongfinity
10-27-2014, 11:36 AM
Haha that is great :D @TTHopeful

TableTennisNerd
10-27-2014, 11:38 AM
How can they even justify that. Why didn't he get fined by butterfly for ripping his shirt in that other tournament then?

Baal
10-27-2014, 01:32 PM
The problem is that their has been no transparency or signs of due process, and if it was LGL that was behind this, things are even worse than I thought.

MrThePortal
10-27-2014, 01:49 PM
On the funny side:

http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6596&stc=1

Credit please.... ;)

TTHopeful
10-27-2014, 03:35 PM
The ITTF facebook profile just put a picture with Zhang Jike furthering his apology: "No matter what kind of honour I won today, I didn't handle my celebration with calmness and rationality. For a long time, I have been withstanding a lot of pressure but I shouldn't bring such mood into the arena. I didn't consider the impact on the team and the event itself. I apologise to everyone."

TTHopeful
10-27-2014, 03:35 PM
Credit please.... ;)

Sorry MrThrPortal, I have edited and gave you credits for picture. Very funny picture :D

sebas-aguirre
10-28-2014, 03:17 AM
"so you made these new crappy plastic balls?????"

"I will destroy this place!!!! all these barriers!!!!"

"sharara where are you????!!!!!!!!"

K A Smith
10-28-2014, 03:18 AM
Talk about overeaction. What about yours? Name the posters that said this. Come on...name them.

Go read the first 3 posts after this forum was started... Come on... read them.

sebas-aguirre
10-28-2014, 03:49 AM
hahahahhahahaha zhang jike is the biggest thing to ever happen to table tennis, no doubt.

this is the biggest newspaper from argentina, no relationship to tt at all.

the article:
http://www.clarin.com/deportes/Gano-Copa-Mundo-devolver-importante_0_1237676613.html

main page (link to article):
http://www.clarin.com/

RajaLoopah
10-28-2014, 05:16 AM
http://www.ttbl.de/news_ro_ss_kopf___1_000_dollar_strafe... (http://www.ttbl.de/news_ro_ss_kopf___1_000_dollar_strafe_haetten_es.html)

"I find it quite ridiculous to emphasize his $ 45,000, to be honest. Zhang Jike stood before the tournament under an inhuman pressure. He is the Olympic champion and world champion and was one of his public head coach in view of the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro in 2016. He has won at the weekend against Timo Boll in its home country and in the final against the current world's best player Ma Long. As a reaction you need to understand so times. We're not playing tennis or in Formula 1, where one can impose huge penalty totals. $ 1,000 fine because it would have certainly done well."

- Jörg Rosskopf

Tinykin
10-28-2014, 09:21 AM
Go read the first 3 posts after this forum was started... Come on... read them.
You said that a poster said "there is absolutely nothing wrong with breaking barriers after a match". Name me the poster who made that statement. Simple.

Rajah*
10-28-2014, 09:31 AM
http://www.ttbl.de/news_ro_ss_kopf___1_000_dollar_strafe... (http://www.ttbl.de/news_ro_ss_kopf___1_000_dollar_strafe_haetten_es.html)

"I find it quite ridiculous to emphasize his $ 45,000, to be honest. Zhang Jike stood before the tournament under an inhuman pressure. He is the Olympic champion and world champion and was one of his public head coach in view of the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro in 2016. He has won at the weekend against Timo Boll in its home country and in the final against the current world's best player Ma Long. As a reaction you need to understand so times. We're not playing tennis or in Formula 1, where one can impose huge penalty totals. $ 1,000 fine because it would have certainly done well."

- Jörg Rosskopf
+1 verywell said

rajd1234
10-28-2014, 02:34 PM
Heres what ma long said in weibo
After the match, more interesting things happen when Zhang Jike started to kick the surrounds of the arena, dubbing his celebration as destructive. With this, Ma Long said:*"Zhang Jike's personality is very strong thus such kind of release after the match. I hope everyone will see it properly."

...Rajd...

superloop73
10-28-2014, 03:56 PM
Courtesy:Mike Mezyan Artworks

TableTennisDaily
10-28-2014, 04:04 PM
Major newspapers and news websites have been creating and publishing articles making this Zhang Jike fine incident viral around the world.

Yesterday TableTennisDaily uploaded the vine below, which many publishers have shared. The video currently at 380,000 views and counting!

I think this is the most viewed table tennis vine ever!

<iframe class="vine-embed" src="https://vine.co/v/OhLFqH5uEpm/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

You can see the vine has been shared on these websites:

USA today - http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/10/chinese-table-tennis-zhang-jike-fine-celebration
Independent - http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/others/table-tennis-player-zhang-jike-fined-35500-after-overexuberant-celebration-9823488.html

Tinykin
10-28-2014, 05:54 PM
The Guardian article

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/oct/28/table-tennis-player-zhang-jike-stripped-of-winners-prize-money-for-celebration

vvk1
10-28-2014, 06:15 PM
ABC news called it an "epic fail!" http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/table-tennis-players-victory-celebration-costs-45k-26504183

Guardian fans seemed to be most amused about two guys fighting over a sweaty T-shirt.

"Excellent" publicity for table tennis, what can I say.

mahomedy13
10-28-2014, 07:14 PM
http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/content.php?932-Zhang-Jike-s-celebration-Goes-Viral-Around-The-World!

10-28-2014, 09:27 PM
If Kanak Jha did it or anyone else my response would be the same as my original post. A warning or small fine would be reasonable for any player doing this. As far as the camera is concerned, I love it! This is good emotion for our sport. Emotion that is fined or punished by the ITTF does not mean it is "bad" emotion for Table Tennis. The ITTF is far from being an entity that makes great decisions all the time. Their decision to fine 45k Euros for two broken card board barriers is embarrassing.

Jike accidently destroyed the first barrier in excitement. It seemed to me he kicked the 2nd barrier on purpose. No big deal, and it beats a boring ending with little to no emotion between two teammates from China. A warning or small fine would discourage kids from doing it, which was a concern of yours.

Players can't just let the ITTF run them over In their wallet like this. It sets a dangerous precedent.

10-28-2014, 09:41 PM
Jimmy, first many thanks for doing your video highlights - I've greatly enjoyed watching them on youtube.

However, while I agree with you that table tennis needs good emotion, this particular form of "emotion" is not "good". What if Kanak Jha had done something similar after winning the 2014 ITTF North America Cup - would you've still approved it? Would you really encourage and nod approvingly when little kids in the USA win a local tournament and then go and try to break some barriers while emulating their idol?......

If Kanak Jha or anyone else did this my response would be the same. A small fine or a warning is reasonable. 45k Euros is not only unreasonable, but it sets a dangerous precedent that the ITTF can rob a players wallet for something as little as two broken cardboard barriers after a win.

As far as the camera is concerned, it's fantastic to see emotion worthy of a discussion. I'm harping here in the U.S. to make Table Tennis more exciting whenever possible. Jike's celebration beats a simple handshake between two teammates. If it was you, would you find it acceptable giving them your 45k Euros over that?

-Jimmy

Baal
10-28-2014, 09:45 PM
Players need to get organized or the ITTF will continue to pull crap like this.

vvk1
10-28-2014, 10:58 PM

If Kanak Jha or anyone else did this my response would be the same. A small fine or a warning is reasonable. 45k Euros is not only unreasonable, but it sets a dangerous precedent that the ITTF can rob a players wallet for something as little as two broken cardboard barriers after a win.

As far as the camera is concerned, it's fantastic to see emotion worthy of a discussion. I'm harping here in the U.S. to make Table Tennis more exciting whenever possible. Jike's celebration beats a simple handshake between two teammates. If it was you, would you find it acceptable giving them your 45k Euros over that?

-Jimmy

It would be very unpleasant for me, but I'd blame no one but myself for behaving like an idiot and breaking the rules of the competition set out by the event organizers. This is called taking responsibility.

Just to be clear, I have no problem with the actual celebration of the win. E.g. like he did when he beat Wang Hao and ripped his shirt for the first time. And I fully expected ZJK to do something similar again, only more spectacular. However, destruction of property is where I personally have to draw a line.

What pains me most is that the final was a super-exciting match, one of the best between ML and ZJK as far I am concerned. And instead of having articles in mass media about ML's and ZJK's personalities and backgrounds, about how unbelievably athletic they are, how lightning-fast their reactions have to be to play at such speed, and how much tactics is involved in proper table tennis, all we end up with is stories with "epic fail" in the title that mention only the destruction of the barriers, the fine, and the spectator fights for the champion's shirt. Not one of these stories had a link to even a short form of the match, just the "celebration".

snowyy
10-29-2014, 12:01 AM
It may not be quite the right publicity but table tennis has made the headlines...for once!

Baal
10-29-2014, 05:55 AM
Technically, the competition was over when kicked the barriers in celebration so he didn't really break the rules of the competition. Maybe that is not a great argument, but I have been thinking it for awhile.

Tony's Table Tennis
10-29-2014, 11:07 AM
so next time when Maze or other players that are known to kick tables/barriers too - please fine them 45000 Euro too, thank you very much!

Tony's Table Tennis
10-29-2014, 11:10 AM

-Jimmy

I agree, small fine and warning.
If this is the 2nd offence, then bigger fine + suspension
If this isa 3rd/repeated offence, then bigger fine + longer suspension.

So ITTF has opened cans of worms now.
Firstly, it is not a fine, but withhelding prize money of 45000 Euros - I wonder if such action is even legal.
Secondly, if it a fine, then they have set a benchmark of 45000 Euros for kicking barriers/unsportsmanship behaviour. So in the future, all punishment requires to be of the same value.
Third, what is ITTF going to do with these 45000 Euros?

ezzeddine
10-29-2014, 01:40 PM
I absolutely don't agree with this decision. Should be warning or penalties. 5000 euros.or let him visit some clubs to explain and teaching his way in table tennis

ezzeddine
10-29-2014, 01:44 PM
I think the ittf first time take decision like this. I wish from ittf
To take again new decision correct the previous one

vvk1
10-29-2014, 08:13 PM
Some say the fine is unprecedented or too high.

According to http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29826136,

QPR defender Rio Ferdinand has been suspended for three matches and fined £25,000 by the Football Association for comments he made on Twitter. The 35-year-old ex-England captain has also been "severely warned as to his future conduct" and told to attend an education programme arranged by the FA.

Tony's Table Tennis
10-29-2014, 08:51 PM

QPR defender Rio Ferdinand has been suspended for three matches and fined £25,000 by the Football Association for comments he made on Twitter. The 35-year-old ex-England captain has also been "severely warned as to his future conduct" and told to attend an education programme arranged by the FA.

I wonder what is Rio's fine based on % of football earnings... I think he earns £2.5million a year (£50 000 a week). so this is 1% of his football yearly earnings.

With ZJK's 45000 Euro fine, I think he earns around 3 million rmb a year (from table tennis), which is 385 000 euro, so this fine is 12% of his yearly earnings from table tennis. If i'm wrong, then double it to 6 million rmb, so 6% of his yearly earnings.

Rio's fine is nothing then

mahomedy13
10-29-2014, 09:38 PM

You cant compare table tennis to a tier 1 sport,where the players earn millions in a year.

countrybread
10-30-2014, 07:45 AM
It was a celebration. An excessive celebration, but only a celebration. By comparison, other sports have punished their players similarly for far worse offenses. When put in its proper perspective, taking away the entire prize money for kicking a stand in exuberent celebration, after an epic match between the two best players, is absurd. There isn't any similar precedent in any sport that I'm aware of. I guess the ITTF needs that money much more than Zhang Jike does.

megaexception
10-30-2014, 10:13 AM
We have 135 posts of discussion if it is fair or not to punish Zhang Jike for his behavior, and most of discussion is about correlation of price of broken barriers and size of fine.
But in my opinion, it is absolutely not important.

First of all, there was no "fine of 45000 EUR". It was not his own money, it was part of prize that could be presented to him as a reward for his achievement. And instead of punishing a bad boy and disqualifying him, jury decided to give him well-earned title of World Cup Winner, but not give him monetary award. No difference what is size of award. I think it is fair: his skills and iron will are honored, but "bad boy's behavior" is punished.

Second, I am 100% sure that this decision was approved (or at least accepted) by Chinese national comitee, for example by Liu Guoliang - no disapproval or concerns were voiced from chinese team.

Third one. Think about another side of price. Think of 45000 EUR not like a price of broken furniture, but as a valuation of discipline and sportsmanship.
How do you think, is honour and reputation of best table tennis player of the world, example for million of kids and young sportsman worth $30 or $55000?
Or may be it is priceless?

Rajah*
10-30-2014, 10:50 AM
You have to understand that denying zjk price is a complete violation of the rule.
That is a power triping just to say they are in control of players. And what about those players who destroyed tables smashing kicking left and right, throwing blades and hitting officials? Were they denied of the price money aswell? No they are not
I dont see a corellation bet being the best table tennis player in the world vs honor and reputation. Those are two diffrent criteria..
Remeber that each person/player is unique..and we have diffrent ways of releasing pressure and stress if you are thinking about what people would say about what he did then.. "you cant please everybody" as the saying goes.

Was there an article saying that "100% dcision was approved by chinese national commitee?" Kindly share it with us pls..

Sinukal
10-30-2014, 02:28 PM
Zhang Jike :D

Gangarth
10-30-2014, 03:29 PM
You have to understand that denying zjk price is a complete violation of the rule.

And there is normally also a rule for destroying any equipment: You will be disqualified and threw out of the hall. Without any pice money or a title. All other violations of this kind of aggression should be charged the same way.

Cadoce
10-30-2014, 05:02 PM
If you are still surprised about the decisions the Chinmese coachs can make please read the following article:
http://tabletennista.com/2014/10/liu-guoliang-ordered-wang-ho-to-lose-against-zhang-jike-in-london-video//

I don't say it happens every time and averywhere, but it appears it still happens, sometimes for reasons difficult to understand. I'm quite sure that in the recent case (if there is a case at all) of the World Cup it could be about money. But we have a saying "if you don't know what it's all about, it's certainly about money". I believe or at least would like to believe that at the national level it is not about money (then something else, as described in the article), but most surely it is at lower levels. I read an article , will try to find it again, about the level of corruption in the Chinese TT at all levels, basically pointing at heavily competing players who want to play as it's the only way they can gain money and coaches that that don't gain money but it is them who decide who will play ...I was sort of stunned reading this but the system is easy to understand

TableTennisNerd
10-30-2014, 05:04 PM
But at least he now has a lot of admiration for how well he took it, whether the ITTF made the right decision or not.

10-30-2014, 05:28 PM
It would be very unpleasant for me, but I'd blame no one but myself for behaving like an idiot and breaking the rules of the competition set out by the event organizers. This is called taking responsibility.

Just to be clear, I have no problem with the actual celebration of the win. E.g. like he did when he beat Wang Hao and ripped his shirt for the first time. And I fully expected ZJK to do something similar again, only more spectacular. However, destruction of property is where I personally have to draw a line.

What pains me most is that the final was a super-exciting match, one of the best between ML and ZJK as far I am concerned. And instead of having articles in mass media about ML's and ZJK's personalities and backgrounds, about how unbelievably athletic they are, how lightning-fast their reactions have to be to play at such speed, and how much tactics is involved in proper table tennis, all we end up with is stories with "epic fail" in the title that mention only the destruction of the barriers, the fine, and the spectator fights for the champion's shirt. Not one of these stories had a link to even a short form of the match, just the "celebration".

The mass media is not going to speak of Table Tennis personalities, Table Tennis athleticism, etc., anytime soon. Jike's destruction of two cardboard barriers didn't rob any positive press that was otherwise coming. In fact, his antics brought all kinds of press that would have otherwise not come at all.

The nice thing about the celebration was that it was real, unstaged emotion. Table Tennis and its popularity is directly related to the effort, ideas, and money being spent by the business people behind the sport. If the sport is to grow bigger, it will need to be presented better, with more business minded people in the sport. There is no greater example of this than the failure of its growth in the U.S. It is not the sport that has failed here, it is the business people behind the sport (or lack there-of) that have failed.

For some reason the main stream media loves to poke fun at Table Tennis here in the U.S., although that is starting to change because many celebrities here have started playing recreationally which is beginning to create an image that Table Tennis is "cool" to play.

The sport has come a long ways, but is still far from advanced in its thinking. Just to pick a simple example, why would we offer only one world singles championship every 2 years? Really? Tennis is genius in that it created 4 grand slams a year. The public values each one equal to a world championships, and Tennis athletes are defined by how many grand slams they win. Tennis athletes get an opportunity 4 times every year to make a name for themselves, and the sport sells 4 huge events a year for tv and sponsors.

One quick way to become a nothing, is to create a system for you and your athletes that runs your biggest event once every two years. Quite foolish, and dinosaur thinking by the ITTF.

"People have no idea what they could have here." -Houston Rockets GM Daryl Morey (NBA)

That is a quote from an NBA GM in the U.S. who likes Table Tennis and who looks at our business model.

Table Tennis lacks top of the line, business minded people behind it. Those are the people that will propel it forward, not our World Cup final, which only die hard Table Tennis enthuisists care about, along with China where the sport is built from a business prospective to a respectable degree

10-30-2014, 05:44 PM
Expanding on that further, I've always said that if you are trying to become bigger and/or do things better, start by copying working models already out there. Why not take a lesson from Tennis and create 4 huge events a year for Table Tennis. Call them our 4 grand slams(we can tweak the name). Define our athletes by how many grand slams they win, and create more opportunity for the sport, sponsors, tv, and everyone involved.

Run a World single's championships every year, add the world cup singles each year, add the ittf pro tour finals, and create one more( or go with those 3). Define greatness by those events each year, and market it in a way that promotes these events as your big daddys. Forget this junk where you have to win an Olympics every 4 years or a Worlds every 2 years. That system doesn't work....if it did Tennis would be copying our model. Do you notice nobody ever seems to copy Table Tennis? That's because our business model stinks.

10-30-2014, 06:01 PM
NBA GM Daryl Morey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHcqOx3HLGU

Rajah*
10-31-2014, 09:42 AM
And there is normally also a rule for destroying any equipment: You will be disqualified and threw out of the hall. Without any pice money or a title. All other violations of this kind of aggression should be charged the same way.
He wasnt disqualified on that game
He was never thrown out of the hall
He still stood on the champions platform..
Yes ,you saw that right

Now where is the standard ittf rules now? Stripping zjk off of his price.

alexander.groh
10-31-2014, 10:47 AM
Expanding on that further, I've always said that if you are trying to become bigger and/or do things better, start by copying working models already out there. Why not take a lesson from Tennis and create 4 huge events a year for Table Tennis. Call them our 4 grand slams(we can tweak the name). Define our athletes by how many grand slams they win, and create more opportunity for the sport, sponsors, tv, and everyone involved.

Run a World single's championships every year, add the world cup singles each year, add the ittf pro tour finals, and create one more( or go with those 3). Define greatness by those events each year, and market it in a way that promotes these events as your big daddys. Forget this junk where you have to win an Olympics every 4 years or a Worlds every 2 years. That system doesn't work....if it did Tennis would be copying our model. Do you notice nobody ever seems to copy Table Tennis? That's because our business model stinks.
Hi! This is all nice, but from my point of view I wouldn't change quantity of world cups. I would make, as you said, 4 big tournaments, but I wouldn't increase amount of world cups.
Why? Because when there is more world cups, it is going to lose its prestige. For example in football (I know it is absolutely different sport ) is world cup every four years. Imagine being it every year, or two times a year. Would you think it would be so big event for everybody? And winning of it wouldn't be such a success as it is now, would it?
I know this from ice hockey, where is world cup each year. There is very small prestige in winning it and even players would rather play in NHL than in world cup. Imagine this situation in TT. Player would prefer playing in TT Bundesliga rather then take part in world cup with national teams. Please never change amount of the world cups - I would like to make more big tournaments in year, but never, never world cups!

alexander.groh
10-31-2014, 02:17 PM
This is very interesting thing to talk about, we should create new thread about competition and tournament system in table tennis. There is lot of things to discuss!

alexander.groh
10-31-2014, 02:44 PM
Here is the new thread about topic of TT system: http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=9019

Tinykin
11-01-2014, 01:11 AM
Hi! This is all nice, but from my point of view I wouldn't change quantity of world cups. I would make, as you said, 4 big tournaments, but I wouldn't increase amount of world cups.
Why? Because when there is more world cups, it is going to lose its prestige. For example in football (I know it is absolutely different sport ) is world cup every four years. Imagine being it every year, or two times a year. Would you think it would be so big event for everybody? And winning of it wouldn't be such a success as it is now, would it?
I know this from ice hockey, where is world cup each year. There is very small prestige in winning it and even players would rather play in NHL than in world cup. Imagine this situation in TT. Player would prefer playing in TT Bundesliga rather then take part in world cup with national teams. Please never change amount of the world cups - I would like to make more big tournaments in year, but never, never world cups!

You would be surprised about that. The top footballers are paid so much money by their clubs that many don't want to jeopardise their club place by playing in the WC and getting injured. Remember, only 5 clubs or so pay top dollar to all their players.
Others want to play the world cup as they know that a good performance would enhance their saleability to get into a big club.
But they all say they want to play the WC as to do otherwise would mean certain ostracism by their home association and fans.

TTFrenzy
11-01-2014, 03:10 AM
If you are still surprised about the decisions the Chinmese coachs can make please read the following article:
http://tabletennista.com/2014/10/liu-guoliang-ordered-wang-ho-to-lose-against-zhang-jike-in-london-video//

I don't say it happens every time and averywhere, but it appears it still happens, sometimes for reasons difficult to understand. I'm quite sure that in the recent case (if there is a case at all) of the World Cup it could be about money. But we have a saying "if you don't know what it's all about, it's certainly about money". I believe or at least would like to believe that at the national level it is not about money (then something else, as described in the article), but most surely it is at lower levels. I read an article , will try to find it again, about the level of corruption in the Chinese TT at all levels, basically pointing at heavily competing players who want to play as it's the only way they can gain money and coaches that that don't gain money but it is them who decide who will play ...I was sort of stunned reading this but the system is easy to understand

read the other article about LGL "misunderstood by the media". Table tennista is not a reliable source of information and has proven himself of low liability, spreading rumors just to get hits on his page many times. There is absolutely no logic in fixing a game like that, too many careers on the line if someone talks

He has also written an article saying that ZJK himself offered the prize money to the ITTF expressing his apology which is totally "produced" news out of nowhere. TAble tennista acts some times like a table tennis tabloid. If you ask me TT fans dont really care if ovtcharov is getting married wang hao having a baby or li xiaoxia interested for a boyfriend. Its a sports game not pop music, but then again its my personal opinion, I admire the players and i dont care what they do in their lives

Cadoce
11-02-2014, 09:00 PM
The ssubjec t of fixing matches by the Chinese became recently rather popular
Please see the following link:

http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?9013-London-Olympics-Match-Fixing-Revealed

And these are just the cases that the international community could learn about from some leakages, the case I was referring to was not even mentioned here

Michal_Z
11-03-2014, 05:15 PM

Oh my, can you really imagine this happening? :D :D :D
I would laugh so loud that neighbours would knock on my door :D

------

To the topic - I was really surprised when I saw Zhang kicking the barriers.. Not for a second I thought it was an accident.
That was pure purpose and it was not nice!
I said - wov, really? Thats just awful..
Then I learned about the price money - well .. not apropriate I think .. but you never know whats behind it..

Thats from me ;)

mahomedy13
11-05-2014, 05:47 AM
It has been decided that Zhang Jike's $45,000 prize money that he lost for kicking the sponsorship surrounds after winning the Men's ‪#‎ITTFWorldCup‬ will fund an Annual Fair Play Award.

Zhang Jike had this to say about the award: "I am happy that the money will be offered to a Fair Play Award. This will give a good example to the younger players."

https://m.facebook.com/ITTFWorld/photos/a.174499652580046.47074.170002659696412/1024430264253643/?type=1&refid=8&_ft_=qid.6078107147825843832%3Amf_story_key.-1212312838410438453

Michal_Z
11-05-2014, 10:29 AM
..at least they do something useful with it.
But remaking their website would be far more better ;)

M51
11-05-2014, 01:28 PM
But remaking their website would be far more better ;)
Why? It's not like they have an image to maintain. :p