Ma Long & Zhang Jike's blades @ World Cup!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
I saw some comments in the live streaming chat during the final of the World Cup today with users asking what blades Zhang Jike and Ma Long use. Here is a snapshot from the final.

malongzhangblades.jpg

ma long is not using the commercial release of the hurricane log 5, he uses a custom blade (iirc the w997 is the current one), the hurricane long 5 is based on this blade. although exactly what he uses is only really known to him and the people at dhs that make the custom blades for the cnt team members.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Aug 2012
ma long is not using the commercial release of the hurricane log 5, he uses a custom blade (iirc the w997 is the current one), the hurricane long 5 is based on this blade. although exactly what he uses is only really known to him and the people at dhs that make the custom blades for the cnt team members.

it's kind of the same situation for both.
I'm pretty sure zjk is not using the viscaria you can buy in a shop.
so in a way both use custom blades.
the thing with ma long is that dhs makes profit from all this situation by putting out for sale their "national" blades (w968, etc) for crazy prices.

Last edited:
if there is a market for special equipment the manufacturers will try to find some way of cashing in on it ... i don't see it as a problem. if people want to spend that much on a blade by all means go ahead, same goes for the national or pro versions of various rubbers. or you could just go out and buy a butterfly zjk szlc or nittaku resoud and know that you are one of the few to own such an expensive blade ...

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
It looks exactly like my Viscaria from the same angle.

If he was using some specially made super-duper secret version, wouldn't he just use one of the blades that has his name on it?

Chances are they are Viscarias more or less like others except that they send him a bunch of them at exactly the right weight and he picks the ones he likes the best. I have about 6 of them. 2 are much better than the others and I had to buy and sell several to find those two.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
the thing with ma long is that dhs makes profit from all this situation by putting out for sale their "national" blades (w968, etc) for crazy prices.

Butterfly does the same.they advertise a zjk blade with t64 rubbers with his name on it for 5000 dollars.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
what I meant is probably the difference between your viscaria and the viscaria of zjk is the same as the difference between your w968 and the w968 of ma long.
or even between your hurricane long v and the w968 of ma long.

actually it's quite rude that dhs makes all this move with "national" blades.
like the hurricane long v wasn't expensive enough (150 USD)..... you need yet another version (190 USD) to actually get good material?
never mind dhs, I'll go for viscaria, best materials for 130 USD.

15634560582_fc1e33896e_z.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
what I meant is probably the difference between your viscaria and the viscaria of zjk is the same as the difference between your w968 and the w968 of ma long.
or even between your hurricane long v and the w968 of ma long.

actually it's quite rude that dhs makes all this move with "national" blades.
like the hurricane long v wasn't expensive enough (150 USD)..... you need yet another version (190 USD) to actually get good material?
never mind dhs, I'll go for viscaria, best materials for 130 USD.

attachment.php

I hope youre not naive enough to think that you can get the really good Viscarias from Oceania/SEA stocks.... at least not for 130 USD....
Its the same shit with butterfly, except they dont cherry pick them out for you (actually they do, those are saved for japanese stocks) so you must be very lucky to get a decent Vis from a limited number of stocks that you can reach. At least with DHS its guarenteed you can get them since the good ones are coming from different sources as the normal ones.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
I hope youre not naive enough to think that you can get the really good Viscarias from Oceania/SEA stocks.... at least not for 130 USD....
Its the same shit with butterfly, except they dont cherry pick them out for you (actually they do, those are saved for japanese stocks) so you must be very lucky to get a decent Vis from a limited number of stocks that you can reach. At least with DHS its guarenteed you can get them since the good ones are coming from different sources as the normal ones.

I don't think an amateur player needs the blade of ma long or zhang jike in order to get to their fullest potential.
they could do that with a 20 bucks 5 ply.

the target audience of these national blades and rubbers is more like grown ups with little time to train and a lot of money to spend.
what you need to become super good is actually the contrary of that: being a kid with a lot of time to train and some athletic talent.
money is not that important.

Last edited:
Reactions: rajd1234
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Nope, i think ZJK is using the commercial release.
In Baidu forum, there is a post talking about this, that ZJK said that he uses
common version Viscaria.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Do you seriously believe that?

Hehehe, they even said that FZD is using stiga blade + stiga rubber, meanwhile I can't find any stiga on him
His shoe, socks, short, shirt, blade, rubbers, bat cover, carry bag - none of them are stiga
Maybe he is weaing stiga underwear :p

ZJK using commerical blade?
Yeah, i'm sure he is, just the ones before they can packaged. I'm sure special QA guys goes and get the "best" blades for him and we are talking a huge patch for him to choose.

Also we need to note Cakezxc mentioned in the top, JTTA approved Butterfly Blades (or just normal blades in general) are much better quality than say your blades from Europe or other parts of the world.
All are commericial, but then why it feels different in my hand??

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Yes. A good sample of a commercial Viscaria is an almost perfect blade in every way. If they send him a bunch of them in the weight he likes, he will find one or two perfect blades. There is a reason he doesn't play with any of the new ZJK blades. He likes Viscaria better. If there was something secret about his blade, well they would be selling it as a ZJK blade.