Backhand Banana Flip

This user has no status.
Hi guys,

Ive been trying to add the backhand banana flip into my game and when I know that there is a short backspin serve coming I can already prepare for the stroke and execute it perfectly with alot of rotation. But the problem is that when recieving Im standing a little bit further back from the table because when the opponent serves long I can attack the ball better. but because of this Im a little bit too late on the banana flip and (because I have to wind up my wrist and forearm which takes much longer than a flat flick) and then Im forced to play a push because If I then try to banana flip I can only flip it into the net because the ball is already too low.

So can you give a tip on how to read the length of a serve earlier so I can prepare for the flip already.

Thanks

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I guess you might already know this since you are attempting banana flip which is a fairly advanced technique, the only key to tell the length of a serve is to watch the first bounce carefully. If it bounces closer to the net on the opposite side its short, if it bounces on the baseline then its long. However, there are skilled servers who can do short serves inspite of the first bounce being on the baseline but its risky and you can't do much about them and have to get used to reading the bounce better and earlier.
Hi guys,

Ive been trying to add the backhand banana flip into my game and when I know that there is a short backspin serve coming I can already prepare for the stroke and execute it perfectly with alot of rotation. But the problem is that when recieving Im standing a little bit further back from the table because when the opponent serves long I can attack the ball better. but because of this Im a little bit too late on the banana flip and (because I have to wind up my wrist and forearm which takes much longer than a flat flick) and then Im forced to play a push because If I then try to banana flip I can only flip it into the net because the ball is already too low.

So can you give a tip on how to read the length of a serve earlier so I can prepare for the flip already.

Thanks

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Make it simple. Take the ball at top of bounce. Don't worry about a conscious calculation on that because it will fail. You see the ball coming short to your middle or BH side, you step in, prepare your arm/wrist as you move in, and you execute the shot impacting at top of bounce. If you try to think too much about it, you will often fail. Simply recognize the ball you can use this shot for, be ready in your stance low, decide early, be decisive, and move in right away. That is a lot more important than trying to overthink, consciously calculate, then decide, then get into action. Doing that will slow you down big time. it will be way too late by the time you get through all that. Staying low/wide in stance with a knee bend right as ball is coming at you gives you much more ability to react and move.

Reactions: Suga D and Donow
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
OP made a good concern about worrying if he wont recognize the short serve in time to step in and do it.

I say with enough practice and experience he'll get it. It all comes with recognizing spin and seeing the ball better, something that improves as we improve in general.

We can say look for the first bounce and this and that, but when it is "GO" time, there isn't any time to consciously think about any of that, there is only time to act. If you are calm and well practiced, you have that "Anticipation" thing going for you pretty good.

Reactions: Suga D and KM1976
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2015
I will share my video which I made: Zhang Jike backhand flick. Please wait!:eek:

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Another way to look at it is to NOT worry about what height to take it at, but impact teh ball when it comes into your effective strike zone.

Often, that means waiting for the ball some more, even if it means the ball will be below net height. (We often do not step in as much as we need to) That is OK. TRUST that you will land the shot.

Last week, I met a MyTT forum member and we did a drill. I showed him how to feed very short underspin balls multiball style to make me REALLY step in and also to NOT be able to impact the ball when it was net high. The ball would certainly be below the net by the time I would be able to reach it. I did the drill on purpose to show him that you can hit the ball below net level, even if it is 30-40 cm from the net, and STILL make a strong shot and land it safely.

It is all about making a confident swing on balance and within your effective strike zone. I wasn't SMACKING any of these balls (unless he gave me one a little high) but I was able to flip them with enough pace to be troublesome though. I showed him you could get the step in and hit rhythm to do this, just be confident and wait for the ball, even if it means letting the ball drop lower than you think it can to be effective - just do that and trust your swing - it will go in.

Reactions: Suga D
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have seen Der_Echte in action in person. If you give him any low short balls anywhere from the middle of the table to the BH side, even a bit on the FH side near the middle, and he will give you a BH flip that will spell trouble. His level is high enough as it is, even though he likes to underrate himself. But his BH and especially the variety of pace, spin and placement he can give with his banana flip is much higher level than most people his level are capable of.

I think the information he is presenting is top notch. Especially as I practice serve and receive and see the opportunity for this shot more and more quickly from the repetition of that in and out kind of practice that happens with good serve and receive drills.

The more you practice those kinds of serve and receive drills, the better you get at seeing the short ones sooner and moving into position for a good shot against random placement: long, mid, short, left, middle, right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: