Washing in low temperatures

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
Any good tricks of how to get rid of that sweaty smell in sports clothes? it really bugs me, feels like the clothes are not clean. Ive tried a lot of different things, nothings really worked. And because its a special shirt I cannot wash it in higher than 40 degrees.

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
Well firstly make sure your washing machine isn't adding a pong all of its own devising, I've seen it happen ! How do you check this ? Wash your TT clothes by hand next time around and see if this results in an improvement. If that's not it then make sure you're using a detergent that smells pleasant to begin with and also try adding a fabric conditioner at the end of the wash (unless the wash label specifically advises against doing this.) Lastly, try giving the clothes at least a rinse as soon as you get home rather than leaving them to dry out ( or worse, leaving them in your bag for a day or two ! )

You shouldn't need to boil stuff to get it to smell clean; hot washes are for white cotton fabrics, to ensure the grime comes out. With modern detergents a 40 degree wash should be plenty good enough.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
Thanks JHB! I've heard people say that 40 degrees isnt enough to get sweat off clothes, even with chemicals...? Anyway I was just wondering what detergents etc I can use since the shirt is a printed one and I want to protect the graphics. I guess theyre all different too. The printer said I shouldnt wash it in very high temperatures and should avoid harsh chemicals... :O

Hand wash in a vinegar solution (is 1/2 cup vinegar to 1 gal water). And hand rinse in a diluted baking soda solution. It's natural, biodegradable, and the odors are removed.

I use this on my undergarments (shirts, Sox,etc).

The smell are body oils and one issue is your limitation of cold water. Ever see cold water break down oil? Doesn't happen. Warm or better yet hot water does. I understand your cold water limitation, let it soak for awhile to extract the oils.