Rubber for Ma Lin Ghost Serve

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2013
Hello,

I'm trying to do the Ghost Serve without much success. I have been using the DHS Neo Hurricane III for doing it but the serve always go off the table. I don't know if it's the rubber or my skills as I tried every way of doing it but every time the ball goes off the table. Is there any particular kind of rubber needed to execute this serve?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Unless you are using anti, or LPs, you can do the serve easily with the right approach.

Be sure to impact the ball at the BOTTOM, like 6 O'Clock or even a bit to the front to make sure you are grazing the ball.

Many people THINK they are impacting at 6 O'clock, but actually, they are not. Many players learning this serve start with the bat at the right angle, but on the back swing, tilt the bat to the wrong angle and fail to correct it before impact. Another common error is using the shoulder and arm to change the hieght of swing plane DURING the stroke. Swing plane should be stable, either horizontal, or later, a semi-swing pendulum if you can get the timing right and can correct your bat angle right before impact to 6 O'clock or more to the front.

You will learn how high to impact the ball and where to send the first bounce. That is the easy stuff. At first, getting the timing of all the acceleration and getting the proper bat angle at impact is what gets those who want to learn this, and many other short underspin serves.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Another mistake many do that wrecks their timing and ability to accelerate the bat is they are tight in the arm & shoulders, as well as too tight a grip. You cannot death grip that bat and WILL the ball to be short, it doesn't work out well that way. Loose and relaxed muscles are best able to accelerate and give you the bat speed. A LOOSE GRIP is SO ESSENTIAL to pulling off any short serve.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2013
I dont boost since i mostly use japanese/european rubbers but you can try seaching in this forum/youtube. You will get lots of results.

...Rajd...
Jap/euro rubbers don't need boosting?

This user has no status.
Oh, I've been down this path myself... But then I saw some players at my club that could do the ghost serve with practically anything. Started by using a Mark V, then went on to some old worn-and-torn rackets... I just had to realize this is all on me, not my rubbers or blade. Save your money, practise more. I'm still working on it, but I'm getting closer... :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Oh, I've been down this path myself... But then I saw some players at my club that could do the ghost serve with practically anything. Started by using a Mark V, then went on to some old worn-and-torn rackets... I just had to realize this is all on me, not my rubbers or blade. Save your money, practise more. I'm still working on it, but I'm getting closer... :)

Yep, practice makes perfect