Brett Clarke - Forehand Topspin like a Bear

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I'm not a dramatic type of guy but this is probably the most insightful table tennis video I have ever seen. It takes a form of genius to explain a concept that few top coaches understand using nothing more than a stuffed toy.

I often get asked what should start your swing - your body or your arm. I challenge you to find me better forehand topspin technique than this darn bear.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
TTD members had better POUND the daylights outta the like button. For crying out loud, a Verified Pro Player (and hiz associate coach) are telling us something worthwhile. We don't get that every day.

Does anyone/everyone think they are full of it?

I certainly thing Coach Clarke is full of IT !!! (It being much fun and luv of the sport)

Does anyone trust the Government more than these two?

Would everyone hit like button like a sheep zombie if it said to do so? :)

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
This is almost funny silly situation as every month on a TT forum somewhere, some member posts a vid and asks why he isn't able to loop like he or she should and is utterly wondering and asking for things that are contributing to sapping their power and control.

Coach Clark is slapping us upside our rock heads showing us some really common (yet seem to be top secret stuff for many) reasons why we are sapping power and control.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Baal, I'm going to make a forehand series. LL Beary say's it's - Like a Bear! I feel it should be - Like a Boss! Your input would be highly appreciated here and I know you have an interest in the outcome. Do you really want to walk around saying - Like a Bear?

I prefer like a boss because I am a boss and not a bear and so like the recognition of "like a boss". On the other hand, my stroke is somewhat like the bear's. I also like honey. I am deeply conflicted and need more time to study this. In spite of my indecision, I like the videos.

Last edited:
Reactions: Der_Echte
It's a big part of it. The Chinese tend to have a straighter arm than others, as they use the momentum from their core on the backswing and stroke.

Correct me if I'm wrong. By having a relaxed arm to do a good forehand topspin, we're like treating the arm like a whip? :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Correct me if I'm wrong. By having a relaxed arm to do a good forehand topspin, we're like treating the arm like a whip? :)
Hi danny, you got it...exactly like a whip. The bear obviously has no muscles and yet his arm is moving super fast as a result of the momentum from the core...not by forcing his arm. Cheers, Brett

This user has no status.
Hi danny, you got it...exactly like a whip. The bear obviously has no muscles and yet his arm is moving super fast as a result of the momentum from the core...not by forcing his arm. Cheers, Brett
Hmm does that mean that for example Ma Long does this sort of technique? When i see him playing like this, the dragon and the bear got similiar movements.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Hmm does that mean that for example Ma Long does this sort of technique? When i see him playing like this, the dragon and the bear got similiar movements.

I think the Chinese use their waist better than players from others countries in general. Both the bear and the dragon have a fairly straight arm at the point of contact.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
I dont know why but it actually reminded me this technique in Karate Kid 2. If u observe Ralph macchio he is actually executing the exact same technique. Core rotation with totally relaxed arm, b**** slapping the enemy like a boss :p

Go directly @ 4:19

Mr. Miyagi and LL Beary trained together in Okinawa, so it's no great surprise that D. Larusso uses that technique too.

Reactions: fais