Removing glue from sponge

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
A few weeks agoo I tried to remove all the glue rests from the sponge. My method was rubbing with my thumb.
Result: It took a long time to remove the most and my thumb didn't like it. When I tried to glue the sheet back, it didn't attached well anymore.

- Why didn't it attached well anymore?
- What's the best way to remove glue from the sponge?

This user has no status.
A few weeks agoo I tried to remove all the glue rests from the sponge. My method was rubbing with my thumb.
Result: It took a long time to remove the most and my thumb didn't like it. When I tried to glue the sheet back, it didn't attached well anymore.

It doesnt attach well because there isnt as much glue on the sheet as before. The adhesiveness is linear.
The best way is to rub some old VOC based glue on it, wait til its half dry and rub it real quick. Much easier and hurts your finger less.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
No idea why reglue is not the same. But for glue removal, I just did it last night. First the glue seems not possible to rub off. Then I use a Glue Removal Sponge and rub the surface of glue hard until I get an opening. Then I can lift the glue layer off clean and neat in one piece. I used DHS #15 WBG. I believe it will not be that easy with modern fragile sponge.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
The best way to remove the glue is by using a toothbrush .It took me only 5' for each one,and with no damage to the rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2010
The best way to remove the glue is by using a toothbrush .It took me only 5' for each one,and with no damage to the rubber.
I don't see how that can work.
I use my thumb but most my palm to heat the rubber over a wider area. Eventually the Elmer's glue starts to roll and it can be rolled more.
I usually use cheap DHS rubbers on my FH and 729 rubbers on my BH. I have had no problems removing glue and reapplying many times.
I find removing water based glue to be much different. It doesn't roll. If it is thick enough it peels off other wise it is a b!tch trying to get it to roll like the Elmer's glue.

I have tried warming and sorting the glue with a hair dryer. You have to be careful and I didn't think it made that much difference.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
I use a *iron* (i dont know if its the correct word i used google translator). I had the same problems like u the glue wont go off my rubbers i tryed it with my thumbs about 30minutes but nothing happend. i read on a other forum that they use a *iron*. U need to make it on Middle stage and then hold just the front part on your rubber and then peel it. I was shocked after the result :D it takes about 20 minutes each rubber but after it u will not have holes on your rubber ore something like that. if u scared and dont want to try it on your main Rubber use a old one so u can see how it works. I didnt found a video on YT so maybe next time i will record it and post it here.
Sorry for my bad english i hope you all understand it.

Bobo

Attachments

• 935315.jpg
    935315.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 899
This user has no status.
I use a *iron* (i dont know if its the correct word i used google translator). I had the same problems like u the glue wont go off my rubbers i tryed it with my thumbs about 30minutes but nothing happend. i read on a other forum that they use a *iron*. U need to make it on Middle stage and then hold just the front part on your rubber and then peel it. I was shocked after the result :D it takes about 20 minutes each rubber but after it u will not have holes on your rubber ore something like that. if u scared and dont want to try it on your main Rubber use a old one so u can see how it works. I didnt found a video on YT so maybe next time i will record it and post it here.
Sorry for my bad english i hope you all understand it.

Bobo

Yea I did that all the time back in the days.....apparently older Hurricanes' shitty gluing between the rubber and the sponge doesnt agree with the heat...
Also the rubber will feel softer after doing this successfully. I am guessing due to the expansion the heat caused.
Use with caution.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Acetone

Acetone will dissolve the glue and not harm the rubber.
It is available from any Chemist/Pharmacy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Yea I did that all the time back in the days.....apparently older Hurricanes' shitty gluing between the rubber and the sponge doesnt agree with the heat...
Also the rubber will feel softer after doing this successfully. I am guessing due to the expansion the heat caused.
Use with caution.

yes but if u do it on the lowest stage for heat it will not make any problem u can put ur fingers on it, its not hot. but when u go higher it could destroy your rubber . so like i said they could make some tests on old rubbers before using it on the main rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Hi guys I use copydex to remove the old glue. I put copydex on the sponge quite a bit and let it dry then I pull the copydex out and Wala only few minutes and it's done. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
Just a quick question, sometimes when I glue my rubber it tends to loose contact very easily on top of the blade, I just now had to take it off to re-glue it again. and tbh, taking that glue off the sponge is a pain.
why should I not just re-glue without removing rubber? would it normally not attach properly? would it be risk of bubbles? what would the problem be... a quick reply would be apreciated.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Just a quick question, sometimes when I glue my rubber it tends to loose contact very easily on top of the blade, I just now had to take it off to re-glue it again. and tbh, taking that glue off the sponge is a pain.
why should I not just re-glue without removing rubber? would it normally not attach properly? would it be risk of bubbles? what would the problem be... a quick reply would be apreciated.

I just leave old glue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Beep-Beep
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
When you tottaly take off all the old glue and do a re-glue, sometimes you just don't get enough glue back in the pores.

There are all kind of ways to remove old glue.

When I cut a new rubber, I cave the cutouts sometimes. WHY? They do a good job to save your thumb for this task. Sometimes, you have to put something on the old glue to soften it up or prep it, rubber cement is good for this, so is a thin to medium coat of your favorite tuner or veggie oil. Leave it on there and give it a try 30-60 minutes later. You might do it easy enough with your thumb, but the stuff could get a little gooey. That is where a cutout can help.